PDA

View Full Version : Trashed HD?

Enzo Maseratti
5th Nov 2003, 12:34 PM
Quantum fireball 10GB
Win XP PRO Upgrade

Trying to format using Partition Magic, fdisk, fdisk /mbr, format c: and windows XP own partition/formating process but I think the HD needs to be replaced because It won´t format or create any partitions anymore. Im getting "HD read error/HD write error/HD unknow error/ Y@Y@ error/ Missing NTDRL or something/ No OS installed error" when trying to boot (All these errors depeding if I try FAT, FAT 32, Unformatted or NTFS) and: "Disk full" when trying to format or create a new partition. Disk full???? What the ?????

If I try to create a single partition using fdisk it simply starts cheching the disk integrity over and over again never stopping.

I was using Win XP pro fine for about a week when i suddenly got "Disk error xxxxx" when booting up. Since then Im trying to erase the HD to reinstall everything.

Enzo Maseratti
6th Nov 2003, 02:49 PM
Yes, the HD needs to be replaced! Zerofilled it with MAxBlaster3, did low level format + fullscan with PowerMax and ended up with following error code: 051S57 (according to http://www.clh.com/forms/maxtor_error_code_description.pdf , the HD needs to be replaced).

Hunter
7th Nov 2003, 05:47 AM
do you get a constant clicking sound from your hd?

Enzo Maseratti
7th Nov 2003, 10:19 AM
I hear that sound everytime I turn off the PC. Have your ever played U4e? The sound is VERY similar to the "click" sound you hear when you use the Tomahawk launcher.

Anyways, tryied to install Win98 and since it was taking more than 2 hours to complete, I think that nothing can be done to fix the HD.

BigMonster
11th Nov 2003, 09:52 PM
I was getting the same problem with my hard drive, then at one point as i was booting the system up it just stayed at detecting hard drive and just basicly crashed there. So i ended up replaceing the hard drive, but this one im using atm is acting almost like going to die on me. Im using a maxtor 7200 rpm / 8meg cache 120 gig hd . I think some bad drives got shipped out or something.