Need for Speed: Underground DEMO out!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MP_Lord_Kee

Mar 7, 2003
Visit site
Just noticed that the demo for the next installment of Need for Speed series has been released today.
I found a bit torrent of it (webpages seems to be rather overtaxed at the moment..).

Size about 200MB.

I hope this one delivers what it promises. Ofcourse, Gotham racing 2 is soon out on the xbox which is cool :) You can drive on the old Ring in that game...10 mins per lap depending on your car :)

//Kee

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
It's about what I expected from EA. The game is graphicly intense, but that's the only high point of the game. It's mainstreamed, buggy, phones home to M$ mothership, loves itself, and has no legitimacy in it whatsoever. They may as well call this NFS 6.5, because that's all it is. I have said many a time that I have no respect for EA, and this doesn't sway my opinion one bit. This game sucks, period :tdown:.

kanegs

Feb 15, 2003
W. Pa, USA
Visit site
Scuddie said:
It's about what I expected from EA. The game is graphicly intense, but that's the only high point of the game. It's mainstreamed, buggy, phones home to M$ mothership, loves itself, and has no legitimacy in it whatsoever. They may as well call this NFS 6.5, because that's all it is. I have said many a time that I have no respect for EA, and this doesn't sway my opinion one bit. This game sucks, period :tdown:.

The problem with NFS6 (HP2) was that (other than color) there was no way to customize your cars and there was no interior view. Plus the physics model took a step back from MCO (and maybe even NFS5 which is still much more fun).

If the physics model is on par with MCO, once people start making cars for it it will be fun. I'd rather feel like I'm really driving a 350Z than a fake F1.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Dont even compare NFS 6 with NFS 5. It's not even funny. NFS5 was an AWESOME game. They didnt hype it up, the graphics weren't perfect, but they weren't overly polished either. The controls were appropriately responsive, the handling was perfect for the game, IMO. Definately up there with Gran Turismo 1. The amount of quality that was put into that game surpasses all other in the NFS series, imo. It's too bad this game was modeled after 6 instead of five. That would have made this game worth even buying.

Oh yeah... Now that I have harddrive space, I'm gonna install Porsche 2000. :D

DooMfreak

Feb 16, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'va always known Porsche Unleashead as NFS6, Hot Pursuit 2 would probably be NFS7. I thought Porsche Unleashed was a pretty cool game, if not only for the road tracks.

Too bad about NFS:U, looks like it is going to be too much action and not enough racing.

kanegs

Feb 15, 2003
W. Pa, USA
Visit site
Scuddie said:
Dont even compare NFS 6 with NFS 5. It's not even funny. NFS5 was an AWESOME game. They didnt hype it up, the graphics weren't perfect, but they weren't overly polished either. The controls were appropriately responsive, the handling was perfect for the game, IMO. Definately up there with Gran Turismo 1. The amount of quality that was put into that game surpasses all other in the NFS series, imo. It's too bad this game was modeled after 6 instead of five. That would have made this game worth even buying.

Oh yeah... Now that I have harddrive space, I'm gonna install Porsche 2000. :D

I agree that Porsche Unleashed is much better than HP2.

Did you ever play Motor City Online? They improved the physics a lot. It made off roading and jumping (well landing) a lot tougher. HP2 has no feel of being a simulation.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Played the NFS:U demo. I looked alright..nothing special though. Plus, every texture in the game was showing up at something like 16x16 resolution. I have no idea what that was about. Anyhoo, I wasn't that impressed.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
just like in real life they felt working brakes and responsive steering was overrated. It's like being strapped to a really slow rocket.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
What I don't get is what they're trying to do with this game.

There's the "crash into whatever you want and abuse your engine" stuff in the 1-lap circuit-race and then there's the "don't you dare do anything wrong or we'll kick you out"-style of racing in the dragrace.

Why didn't they add that 'realistic' damage option to both gametypes ???
They should have made it a perfect arcade-racer (like Burnout) or a real simulation instead of some kind of half-assed semi-arcade wannabe.
It kind of feels like it has become the CS of race-games :(

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
the motion blur is highly entertaining though. you actually get a sense of speed unlike PU and those before it. HP2 was okay... better now that people are making cars for it. i didn't like motor city... i beta tested it.. didn't like it much and i really dont like the pay to play business

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
the sense of speed you DID get in PU because of the wind sound that increased dramatically as you got faster and altered handling at higher speeeds etc, together you did get the feel you were moving faster.

Just like IRL the main que for speed is wind noise and handling. Which is why you may think you are going fast earlier in an open vehicle without powersteering earlier then in a closed vehicle with powersteering. You are missing a lot of feedback.

Chow Yun-Fat

W3RD UP
Jan 20, 2001
thats true for the convertables, but not so much for when you're inside a coupe. i dunno, it always feels like the lines of the road are just going by too slow, the motion blur and lighting trails in underground may be a bit campy but the blur at least gives an over sense of speed... i dunno its difficult to pull off because when you're actually driving you focus on different things. thats something that you can't really pull off when rendering anything on a monitor.

AlmostAlive

Jun 12, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I can't even play the damn thing. Whenever I try to start up the game it just resets even before it gets to the intro screen or movie or whatever is there waiting. So screw it.

I was a fan of Porsche unleashed. Some of the cars had "soul" and it took some time to fully master them even though it was very arcadish. Hot Persuit 2 was terrible compared to Porsche Unleased and now I'm told this new Underground sucks too. So again, screw it.