I ask for help.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
I'm starting to find out I dislike UT2k3 for certain particular reasons.
Some of you have heard me go on about things like this before but this time, I have a good reason for a reply. I need help.

Of course UT2k3 is not UT. We all know that. My problem is, I cannot adjust to the UT2k3 universe like I did with UT. In UT, I would run DM-Phobos until I fell asleep. I was able to listen to UT's music. I had the best of times with UT, and never for 1 minute doubted it shouldn't be GOTY.

Once the UT2k3 demo hit and was being downloaded by countless people, I realized UT2k3 was going to be a hit. I was wrong in a sense and at the same time right. I figured the new engine would be too much for some computers, due to the fact it really is and that the new structured gameplay would make some people less addicted to it like they were to UT and Quake3.

I haven't quite given this enough thought until now, and I still feel as if I havn't given it enough thought. My problem is, I cannot get used to UT2k3. It just doesn't feel right. I seem to be playing a tasteless spew of lookalike UT maps (amped up). That is why I hate Curse3 and Face3.

The only way I have been able to come close to getting used to UT2k3 like I did with UT is if I turn the graphics up to the Holy Sh*t setting and even at that, it still doesn't feel right. The static meshes and lack of lighting effects seems to repel my interests. I know that UT didn't have static meshes and it's lighting effects weren't the greatest either, but the bit of lighting it did have stood out and seemed more brilliant. It definitely added to my gaming experience tremendously, thus really putting me into the game. It allowed me to play endless Face servers with people I didn't know and even let me adjust to the bit of bugs UT presented. I used to actually enjoy playing with bots. And better yet, I came back to the same old single player countless times, even on easy settings. The game really was a perfect game for me. UT2k3 came out and didn't fulfill any of my expectations for it. I could have expected a true boost but instead they changed way too many things.

I can compare this to the Mario games for any of the Nintendo console systems.
The first Mario was awesome (the day it was around).
Mario 2 was a perfect sequel and the same with the 3rd.
Then the first 3d Mario hit and was a major success. I loved everything about it.
As for the other Mario games, I can't tell.
My point is clear. The UT2k* sequels just don't make me all too happy.

Now, I am asking for help or guidance. I really do not want this to backfire on me and be told to go back to UT. UT is too old for me. Graphics don't do much. I enjoy playing FragBU, but I get bored too fast anymore. I don't turn on the music because the songs suck. Should I wait til 2004 hits the shelves and continue to play UT2k3, or let my "so-called" UT mood/phase pass until I can say I have had enough UT for this 3-4 months?

If it helps you get a clear idea of what I'm asking, I'll ask it this way. How do you guys stay so interested in UT2k3? Do you feel more "at home" playing UT2k3 like you did playing UT? Did you ever feel the way I did about UT?

PS. After rereading this, I found out I have yet more to tell. In UT, you werne't allowed double jumps or trick jumps. You couldn't use your TL to get literally anywhere. You were stuck in a place and had to think about what was out there. In UT2k3, there are less boundaries. When adding boundarious, you feel like something was left out. My imagination for UT2k3 is gone. I have less to think about. Many thoughts and day dreams would spawn off the fact I could never reach every single place in map and could never understand every single detail of the game UT. Perhaps that is why Face servers were so interesting to me. There were so many things you could do, and the map was so busy. In UT2k3, you cannot shoot rockets from one side of the map and expect them to hit somebody at the other side anymore. The likelyhood of this happening has been savagely cut. You feel more "down to earth in UT." Is that what I want though? I can never tell.

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I think most people will say that they had an insatiable appetite for UT at some point or another. I attribute some of that to the fact that UT was the first Unreal title to bring a truly great multiplayer experience to the Unreal universe. It was the place we really got to see those innovative weapons polished and put to good use. Unreal gave us that first taste... UT filled us up.

Only a UT2004 scale of game could have come along and one-upped UT. Massive amounts of maps, massive amounts of gamemodes, several new and innovative gametypes, and new modes of transport. All of those things help make it familiar yet fresh.

Go play a few mods or find another game to occupy some of your time until UT2004 rolls around. I've taken the time to try several mods, hit the bargain bins for several good fps games that I missed, and try a little RPG action. I still play UT2003 and I still really enjoy it. You just have to have a little healthy variety in life.

Particularly after you've saturated yourself with one game title that is all multiplayer.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yea, that's prolly the best advice you can get. Get relativity kickin' again, and play some other games. Hopefully, it should remind you what is good about UT2003.

I personally, couldn't go back to UT, nor really did I have the desire too. One time I tried, and it was only because of lack of server population when I play. It was the weirdest thing. I felt like such a newb, trying to do all the things I so quickly got used to in the sequel, and couldn't there, jumping, fast weapon switching, etc...

For me, basically all the things I hated about UT (despite it being my favorite game at the time) were fixed in the sequel. It was like if I could wave my hand, and fix everything in UT (other thread reference), it would be 2k3. Even I've taken brakes from it though, played through Postal2, Jedi Academy (quite a few times), still try to play Natural Selection (a cool HL mod) with my roomate when he games. Heck, I wouldn't even mind playing some Tribes2 again to warm up for vengance, but I'm on another uBenge....

Ominous

Oct 19, 2001
Indianapolis
www.carpeimperium.com
Taking a break and playing other games is probably the best thing you can do. I did that when Ci took a break for a couple months from 2k3, and playing other games made me realize how fun 2k3 is in comparison. This is at least in regards to multiplayer games. I picked up Halo, Jedi Knight Academy, and played other demos. While most of them had fun single player, multi player just didn't live up to my expectations. The pace was either too slow or not balanced enough. While that didn't change how some of the maps suck in 2k3 ;) , if definitely made me appreciate the gameplay a lot more in 2k3, and because of that I'm having fun playing the game again. Like Hal said, you just need to mix up your game experience, who knows, maybe you'll find something that really grabs you.

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
I have to admit I've been getting a bit frustrated with 2K3 for the last few weeks too. By sheer chance I came across Final Fantasy 8 for the pc last week so I picked it up and played through it, not touching UT2K3 once in the last week. Friday night I picked it up again and had a total blast :) Getting away from it for a while does you good, makes it feel fresh again after playing something else for a short time (especially something very slow paced like an RPG).

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
BigFolks said:
Of course UT2k3 is not UT. We all know that.

I hope so :hmm: Some people clearly don't know the difference (not talking about you :O)..)

I had the best of times with UT, and never for 1 minute doubted it shouldn't be GOTY.

Very interesting :O)

Now, I am asking for help or guidance. I really do not want this to backfire on me and be told to go back to UT. UT is too old for me. Graphics don't do much.

It's not that old really :) And if you look beyond what the retail game has to offer, beyon the default settings/gameplay etc... it really never gets old.
Shame you're tired of the game.

That's just the way things are eh :O)

You don't have to "go back to ut". I don't know why some say so. You can always play Ut, (and even unreal) and Ut2K3 at the same time.
I did it for a while, and never had a problem switching between both games.

Last edited:

BigFolks

Apr 16, 2003
Believe it or not, I have found out that what I'm feeling is completely normal. It's called the "UT Phase." - Where all you want to do is play UT for 3 months until you get sick of it and decide you need UT2k3 back. I did this about... 3 months ago I'd say. So in other words, every 3 months, I'll be switching games. But all that's gonna change because of UT2k4.
Now, I realize I told you I didn't want to go back to UT and that it was too old for me, but I happened to get into it over the weekend (in between my UT2k3 FragBU time) and decided I'd give into the "UT phase." Except with one exception: I'll play UT2k3 in between. I fear this will lengthen my UT Phase a bit because playing UT2k3 will make me want to go back to UT even more. If I play UT all out for a while, maybe I'll get all the UT I need and return to UT2k3. Don't get me wrong, this isn't torture. It's just what I feel I must do. :).

Oooooooooooorrrrrr..... I could pick up another game for real cheap (fps game) and play that out and see if I can skip my "UT phase." I'll have to experiment, I haven't quite made up my mind.

PS. Q3A sounds like a real good idea to skip my "UT Phase"