OpenGL, ATI woes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zynthetic

robot!
Aug 12, 2001
zynthetic.com
I haven't been keeping up here but I just recently got U2.
It crashes at the same exact point the demo did. Durring the cutscene for the first mission (sanctuary, I've been told). I've seen a lot of ppl w/ ati cards, except 9700 and >, have this same exact problem.
Me, I've got a 7500m, running the latest driver updates, latest u2 patch and directX. I can't possibly believe it has anything at all to do w/ the gcard since the remainder of the game runs fine. I would like to play U2 w/o skipping any levels though. From what I can tell the error basically says it failed to render a plant somewhere. Checking the log is a litte interesting, the last 2 lines

Log: Enabling node (KaiTutASpeech1b)
L

I was expecting errors in the log but no such luck, that would be too easy :rolleyes:

-and can any idea when OpenGL will be inplimented? I was extremely disappointed that d3d is the only rendering option, not even software...

SanitysEdge

Aspiring Astrophysicist
I dont belive Unreal II supports ATIs Moblie cards.

From the readme:
3.7 Radeon 7x00 issues
----------------------

Radeon 7x00 cards exhibit a minor visual flaws. We recommend downloading
the latest available from ATI's website:

http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html

Post-release reports indicate that some Radeon drivers may cause crashes
in the game. ATI has recently released drivers which they have confirmed
resolve those problems. The above recommendation remains true.

2.2 AGP
-------

AGP support is required to enable Unreal II to transfer texture and
other video information rapidly to your graphics card.

Many Windows 2000 configurations have problems with AGP configuration
which result in severe performance degradation. Without proper AGP
support enabled, it's typical to see the game running at only three or
four frames per second.

If you experience problems with AGP support, please contact customer
service representatives at the company where you purchased your computer.

Note: For ATI users, downloading the catalyst 3.1 drivers and upgrading to DirectX 9 may help you achieve the best results.

3.1 Crashes
------------

If Unreal II stops with a "Ran out of virtual memory" message, you need
to free up more hard disk space on your primary drive (C:) in order to
play. Unreal II's large levels and rich textures take up a lot of virtual memory.

Post-release reports indicate that some ATI Radeon drivers may cause crashes in
the game. Customers with the RADEON 7200 / RADEON ViVo should make sure they
have the latest catalyst (3.01) drivers.

Last edited:

SanitysEdge

Aspiring Astrophysicist
Log: Enabling node (KaiTutASpeech1b)

Errr, dosnt look like a graphics problem, more like a sound problem. Try this:
1.press 'start'
2.go to 'run'
3.type in 'DXDIAG', press enter
4.go to the sound/sound1 tab
5.find the 'Hardware sound acceleration level' slider
6.if its at full accelleration try no acceleration or if its at no acceleration try full acceleration.
7.Close DXDIAG, it automaticly saves (You might want to restart your computer, but thats usualy useless)
See if it crashes then

NOTE: Some games, like Warcraft III, will not run with no sound accelration.

Hope this helps

Last edited:

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
install the eax and game patches then dissable shadows my buddys lappy was crashing and that fixed it (shadows may work but they caused some problems b4 so he left them off)

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
When I did an interview with Tim, I specifically asked about OpenGL support. He pretty much made it clear, Windows version should use DX. For current Unreal games, OpenGL on Windows isn't being supported...for now.

PF Prophet

Dec 9, 2003
i hope that when ogl 2.0 comes out it gets support from game makers i have had far less trobble with ogl then with dx
also have a liking for the fact that its cross platform compatable and open sorce

oh and if somebody wanted to make an ogl port like the one made for unreal1 couldnt they do it?

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
I agree, always like OpenGL better. The graphics look smoother and not as grainy as DX. I suppose somebody, with the skills, can make an ogl port. I'm not knowledgable about the technical details to say this will happen.

G-Lite

ftw
Jul 25, 2000
g-lite.kochen.nl
Yep, OpenGL seems to run faster here too, though I had some multitexturing probs in UT2k3. Seems more like a bad driver on epic's side than OpenGL itself to me, though I could be very wrong.
I'd love to see an OpenGL driver, even on Windows. Just because I get 10 extra FPS, and they do matter: my average right now is 30 FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.