ManualExcludes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
ExcludeTag

I have been using scripted softshading for a while now. This shading is the same technique that Epic as used, along with my own code which makes it look more realistic as the actor pays attention to the light source a lot more. Anyways, the current problem using this shading as handy as it maybe is that it projects the shadow on itself (It uses the projector).

For example, if I project a shadow from a table, the tabletop will inheret the shadow on the surface of the table. Thus the entire staticmesh looks dark, and it's obvious that the shadow it has projected is correct, but incorrect in that it projects itself onto the table top. (The mesh is a static mesh)

I have tried to play around with some settings in the projector but none of these have worked successfully as such. I did get a temporary fix by placing the projector lower on the ground and using bClipStaticMesh but it doesn't work in all cases.

The next thing I tried was to look at ways to see if the projector is able to choose what it wants to project on, down to every single actor. Thus with some hacks and playing around I found out that you can control what the projector projects on using the ProjectorTag. However I need the reverse function of this. Let me explain what I mean, using the projector tag, the projector will only project materials onto staticmeshes that have the same tag. However I need it so that the projector will project materials onto everything else except for the staticmesh with the same tag. After a while I decided that, that function must be a native application ... annoying (Well I hope not, if so someone please enlightenme).

Then I started to look at the ExcludeTag, which I found in the 'Actor' script. It mentions there, that it is a global exclude, and I can exclude lights, projectors and so forth. I am still playing with the ExcludeTag, but I haven't found out how to use it properly to the extent that I can exclude lights or projectors.

Does anyone know how to use ExcludeTag(mapping or coding) in the way I want to?

Last edited: