PDA

View Full Version : So what do people think of Fraghouse Invasion?

Parser
19th Oct 2003, 01:21 PM
Well, it's been available for about a day now, what do people think of Fraghouse Invasion? Please see Fraghouse (http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com) for details of the mod. :)

Bullseye1
20th Oct 2003, 06:36 PM
Thanks guys for making a GREAT mod! I have just started really getting into invasion, and was thinking of making an invasion map. But when I learned that the monsters spawned from player starts I really wished that it worked differently. I also wanted more time to set up and get ready before the first wave. Then I heard about Fraghouse Invasion and I was glad someone else had already thought of those things and done something about it. Thanks guys!
FHINV runs great on my AMD XP 2000+ w/ 512M & 256M GeForce4 Ti 4200, and I haven't experienced any bugs or major problems. But I have a suggestion - I'd like to see FHINV work in two modes, "normal" which has regular weapons only and waves configured like regular invasion, and "extreme" which switches all weapons for their super weapon counterparts and waves configured like they currently are for FHINV.
This is just a suggestion. Thanks again for the neat mod.
Also, do you mind if other people make FHINV maps? The docs weren't really clear on that.(Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.)

Thanks!

Bullseye

Parser
21st Oct 2003, 02:46 AM
Hmm.. that's the second time someone has wanted normal/custom weapon options...

As for maps, sure, go right ahead and I'll link you up on the site. :)
Even better, you could submit it to the map pack we're working on. ;)

Bullseye1
21st Oct 2003, 08:43 PM
re: As for maps, sure, go right ahead - Thank you for your kind offer, but I'm just a newbie mapper right now. I don't have anything ready for the public just yet.

re: normal/custom weapon options - With normal and extreme modes it'll be easier to suit people's moods. I know that sometimes I want a twitchy game going as fast and as hard as I can for as long as I can. Other times I want a slower game with more time to think about my actions and form an overall plan. With two modes, you can have it both ways.
I think that it'd make it more convenient to have weapons auto-switch depending on game mode, and match the waves up that way as well. But I haven't done as much of this as you guys, so there may be things I'm not considering because of inexperience.

Thanks for listening.

Bullseye

Oddeyes (NAMIKI)
26th Oct 2003, 02:10 PM
Hello, Parser. I'm a guy who chated with you in Japanese Fraghouse server. We couldn't respond to you well at that time because of language hitches, but all of us was enjoying Fraghouse mod.

I have thought that standard Invasion is too simple, confused and irritating often, though Epic may offered it as only the basis of mods.
Now, Fraghouse Invasion is very tactical and exciting mod. Custom maps have tactics of rearmament and definite objectives, so to speak, like Assult. Every weapon have fine effect and great feeling of shooting. It's not too powerful, and not too weak. Specially I like BS69, Flare Launcher, Volva Rifle and Rail Gun.

I also haven't major problem. This mod is already well balanced. But if you allow me to suggest freely, I want to report following:

- Rail Gun seems to be a bit worse fire power than other weapons. Though it's nice effect, there is no reason to use it except out of ammo of other weapons at present, I guess.
- Granade is a cool weapon, but I wish it was more showy effect like combo attack or tiny nuke:-)
- Nalicows are lovable and shooting them is funny, but we feel Nalicow Invasion is a bit easy and repetitious. If Fraghouse Invasion include Nalicows and/or they have huge size, more speed and tons of health, can't they be used effectively?
- I guess FHINV-Watchtower is too extensive. Though extensive map in itself is nice, it seems to be not suitable for the concept of this map. I wish this map is more small and walking monsters can climb or jump into the tower.

By the way, DustyDune and ICE2 were popular maps at our test play. Specially on DustyDune, monsters scatter suitably. There were opinions the invisible wall is unnecessary on FHINV-Underground, though I didn't think so very much.

We Japanese are looking forward to new map pack and the future of this mod. I'm glad if these reports help you. Finally, I'm sorry for my poor English.

Parser
26th Oct 2003, 02:16 PM
Hello Oddeyes!

Don't worry about the English, yours is very, very good compared to some of the native speakers on this board. ;)

Thank you for the opinions, I do agree that Watchtower is too large. However, I do think that this map can be more suited to certain circumstances, especially if you have many warlords. ;)
If you find this map too slow, the solution is to not play it at the time. We may or may not release a smaller version, but we will consider it.

As for the nalicows, watch this space. We've still got tons to do with the map pack, so we'll consider introducing more of a variety in nalicow monsters. :)

Thanks,
Parser

Oddeyes (NAMIKI)
27th Oct 2003, 04:39 AM
Hi. I'm really looking forward to the Mortar.

Some additional reports:

- I also think that normal/extreme weapons should be split, same as Bullseye, because we needn't use normal weapons while there is extreme weapons and them ammo on map.
- This may be a petty opinion. I guess Translocator option should be enabled in default because almost all the maps seem to need it to be enjoyed fully.
- I wrote that the invisible wall of FHINV-Underground may be necessary in last post, but I noticed that the wall also stop nuke. If this map is too difficult without the wall, can't to make the corridor more long solve it?
- Only Flare Launcher on FHINV-DustyDune seems to have a bug that it become unable to select even though players get enough ammo after being out of ammo once until the current wave finishes. It seems to happen on 2nd wave or later generally.

Sincerely.

Parser
27th Oct 2003, 07:48 AM
Translocator should be enabled by default, I definitely made sure of that. :p
If not, it's under Game rules. As for Underground, we noticed it stopped the nuke online but not offline.. we'll look into this wall thing.
Flare launcher on Dusty Dune? Is your server running the uWM mutator by any chance? The mutator is designed for other gametypes, because otherwise you may run into weapon problems on the FHINV maps.
The uWM mutator also doesn't replace ammo, so that may be the cause.

Radiosity
27th Oct 2003, 10:10 AM
Correction, the individual mutators all replace ammo, but not the mutator that adds all the weapons at once. I didn't actually intend to leave that in but forgot to remove it :o There's also a small bug with the mutator for the RazorBomb where it replaces all the ammo pickups for that weapon with the weapon itself - I'll fix that and get an updated file to Parser for the next patch :)

Oddeyes (NAMIKI)
27th Oct 2003, 12:36 PM
I know where there is the Translocator option, but afraid any chance players can't notice the fun of Fraghouse:-)
I have mistaken uWM for the mutator that should be used with Fraghouse Invasion. Our test server also was running by wrong settings. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

Hello, CainsawMonkey. I fully understood about this problem thanks to your detailed explanation. I hope for the new patch.

Parser
27th Oct 2003, 01:57 PM
I've uploaded a patch which fixes the translocator bug and changes a few other things.
We've got a big update planned, perhaps fixing the uWM problems and introducing Icedude's FHINV Intro map instead of the nVidia logo (although we won't touch .ini files)

Parser
29th Oct 2003, 04:32 AM
Just thought I would let you know that a massive overhaul patch is available. Please see the website (http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com) for more details. :)

SanitysEdge
31st Oct 2003, 11:41 AM
As for nomal/extreme modes, there should be 3 modes:
-Standard: Weapons placed by map maker, mix of norm/extr
-Normal: Standard UT2k3 weapons, no FHI weapons
-Extreme: Standard FHI weapons, no ut2k3 weapons

Parser
31st Oct 2003, 12:05 PM
Hmm, that might be difficult to implement.
There is already a mix of weapons in each map, so how we would do Normal and Extreme, I'm not quite sure how..

SanitysEdge
31st Oct 2003, 12:07 PM
just make a mutator that changes all the weapons to UT2k3 weapons, even if it is already a ut2k3 weapon. then make another mutator for extreme that changes all the weapons to FHI weapons. like an arena mutator.

8mm_BuLLEt
3rd Nov 2003, 12:25 PM
jesus, you want MY opinion....

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

i LOVE FHINV, nothing better in my case, and deathball, 9 versions? baaaah, cant attract my attention. i play FHINV nearly every day now, just like a 15 year old and a ciggeret*.

*im english, and armed with a low power mind... right now.... just you wait untill i fill up with coke....

Parser
3rd Nov 2003, 12:33 PM
Watch out for the extras pack, we're gonna make it fairly big, so get yer download managers out. ;)

8mm_BuLLEt
3rd Nov 2003, 12:51 PM
mmm.... carnage extensions....

atticbat
16th Dec 2003, 12:03 PM
Love the twist that FHI puts onto the invasion gametype, having the monsters not actually spawn in your 'base' is very cool, makes it more of a rush to battle around a central spot(s). Especially when the waves become so fierce that you are actually pushed back into your base, adds the feeling you are actually fending of waves of invading monsters.

My only real complaint is with a map, not with the mod... was a bit miffed to see 'Marijuana Forever' continuously pop up on UMS-Skorcher by Icedude... not that I am trying to make an anti-drug statement at all... far from it... more of a 'could you let me know before I get the fricking game lan'd up with the wife and kids?' stand... heh...

http://www.atticbat.com/AbDotCom/images/fhi_mfSM.jpg

Love the vehicles, and love the extras (even on Skorcher with the rocket cannon mounts fired from inside the ship)... very cool mod.

*applauds*

Parser
16th Dec 2003, 12:10 PM
Hey, cheers. :)

I'm extremely sorry about the circumstance with your wife and child seeing that message... it's our fault for not exploring the possibility that the wife would want to play too (!). :p
I did wonder why Icedude put the message in, and I can only assume that he wanted to give the map a more humourous side.

However, if we decide to release a patch, I assure you something will be made of this matter. :)

atticbat
16th Dec 2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, very cool of you.

Again, it's all good... if that is the only real complaint ya get... it's a good day and a good mod ;)

Oddeyes (NAMIKI)
23rd Dec 2003, 02:00 PM
Hello, long time no see.

We have played Fraghouse Invasion and its Extras Pack again and again. However, I began to feel it difficult to keep exhilarating balance for each map because the variety of monsters is limited. There is no monster stronger than Skaarj and weaker than Warlord. In addition, we will become weary of current monsters sooner or later. Of course, these are the problem from original Invasion.
So I found the Parsage WyRM Invasion pack from your site. However WyRM and WyRM Invasion pack can't seem to work on Fraghouse Invasion, as I feared.

Is to use WyRM mutator on Fraghouse Invasion impossible structurally? I guess they will extend gameplay of Fraghouse Invasion very much.

Sincerely.

Parser
24th Dec 2003, 09:33 AM
Oddeyes, I have bugged Kangus time and time again to get support for FHI for WyRM added, but I don't know what's going on.

I'll PM him and see if there's been any progress, because I really want to play with some new monsters too...

Oddeyes (NAMIKI)
24th Dec 2003, 01:55 PM
Thank you for a reply. Maybe I should ask Kangus about compatibility.