PDA

View Full Version : Why no *.lwo support??

xasa
18th Oct 2003, 07:42 AM
Why there isn't *.lwo support, ut2k3 has this. I only have lightwave and it doesn't support *.ASE in any forms.. why did epic removed *.lwo support, afaik it has been removed from unreal 2 too.

Vito
18th Oct 2003, 09:19 AM
Lightwave support is something DE added themselves to UT2003. That's why no-one else supports it. It's not part of the engine.

DraZtiK
18th Oct 2003, 09:55 AM
That sucks there's no LW support..I assume their not removing it from UT2004?

xasa
18th Oct 2003, 10:01 AM
Ah, I quess i'll keep doing my stuff with ut2k3 then :(

If only we could load our _own_ staticmesh/texture packaces from ut2k3. Now runtime-editor just crashes even if packaces do not contain any material from ut2k3..

oneirotekt
18th Oct 2003, 10:45 AM
Ah, I quess i'll keep doing my stuff with ut2k3 then :(

If only we could load our _own_ staticmesh/texture packaces from ut2k3. Now runtime-editor just crashes even if packaces do not contain any material from ut2k3..

If they're your own staticmeshes and textures, then you should have the source files (ASE in the case of smeshes, TGA / BMP / DDS / whatever in the case of textures) or you can re-save them from their original format (MAX, maya etc). Just re-import those into a new package within the runtime version of UED.

xasa
18th Oct 2003, 04:51 PM
Only that I have all my staticmeshes in *.lwo format, which brings us back to the orginal topic again :/

oneirotekt
18th Oct 2003, 07:48 PM
Only that I have all my staticmeshes in *.lwo format, which brings us back to the orginal topic again :/

That sucks. It would be really nice of Epic to add in support for OBJ / LWO. Otherwise I would recommend either seeing if you can get MilkShape 3D to import it and then export it to a better format (though I don't think it supports ASE) or try a (unfortunately not free) program called PolyTrans, which pretty much converts everything to everything.

Radiosity
19th Oct 2003, 07:37 AM
One workaround you can use is to export meshes as .t3d, then import those into the mesh browser - when you import, you'll need to type in the name of the file and .t3d as the mesh browser doesn't have an actual option to import t3d. It does work though. Also, this will only work on meshes that only have one map channel, any more than that are lost :(

Kirin[SC]
21st Oct 2003, 08:55 PM
Deep Exploration converts a bunch of different formats to other formats. You can use that convert your .lwo files to the appropriate format that the runtime editor can import. You can download a trial version here: http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/dexp/index.htm

xasa
28th Oct 2003, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I tried deep exploration only to find out that it doesn't support *.ase export. :I But I found this ancient software called 3d converter or something and it actually does the job, only that all the UV information is lost in translation. This means no textures in my static objects. :I
You can "bypass" this by loading the object on the editor, transforming it to brush and then texturing it on editor and then transforming the textured object back to static object again. ie. It's real payne to pull, especially considering how easy this all was in ut2k3 :(