PDA

View Full Version : How can i add a character selection box?

Beefypeanut
16th Oct 2003, 08:25 PM
Hello,
For hte game i am making with UE2Runtime i have another character all ready to go but i cant figure out how to add a selection thingy in the "Avater" tab. Any help?

Vito
17th Oct 2003, 07:52 AM
There's no support for multiple player characters in the runtime; the default cube is it, and there's no way to just "add one in" without writing all new PlayerController and Pawn subclasses to support them. Read the GUI tutorials on UDN to learn how to create new menus. You're on your own for creating player classes right now.

TseTse
17th Oct 2003, 10:19 AM
There's no support for multiple player characters in the runtime; the default cube is it, and there's no way to just "add one in" without writing all new PlayerController and Pawn subclasses to support them. Read the GUI tutorials on UDN to learn how to create new menus. You're on your own for creating player classes right now.

Yes, this is fine with me.

Hopefully somebody will crank out a simple system which then others can blatantly steal and work off of.

.altan
17th Oct 2003, 10:47 AM
It can't hurt to use the UT2003 classes as a guide to writing your own. That won't be an infringement of copyright, and apparently a lot of the code in UT2003 are a bunch of hacks, so it would be an opportunity to fix that as well.

Beefypeanut
17th Oct 2003, 05:47 PM
It can't hurt to use the UT2003 classes as a guide to writing your own. That won't be an infringement of copyright, and apparently a lot of the code in UT2003 are a bunch of hacks, so it would be an opportunity to fix that as well.

I have been trying to do that but it gets pretty hard, My job will be easier soon though since i got two friends of mine to join hte cause who know c++ :) I know a bit but not as much as they do so it should get pretty smooth soon. Thanks for the input htough and hte reason im not doing a ut2k3 mod is that i want it to be sperate so i can "give" it to people wihtout htem needing ut2k3 to run it.

[SAS]Solid Snake
21st Oct 2003, 05:38 PM
"give"Sounds dodgy that one. Knowing C++ doesn't mean much in terms of knowing Unrealscript. Sure it may help you, but I for one don't know C++ but know Unrealscript.

As Vito said, you have to do a lot of work to even get the UnrealRunTime Engine even approachable to where UT2003 is, and that kind of work is really left to people who are very experienced in Unrealscript and with the Unreal engine. I mean sure a beginner *could* do it, but not without a lot more frustrations.

daggo
29th Oct 2003, 03:29 AM

Does this apply also to simple modifications like adding sound notifies to
the standard animations?

I succeeded to make a TestPawn (in a package Test.u) that is a copy of Runtime.RTPawn except that it has as its default Mesh a mesh TestBox.BoxModel (residing in Animations\TestBox.ukx), that is just a copy of Animations\RT_Box_K.ukx except for a sound notify in its boxrun animation. Still replacing Class=Runtime\RTPawn by Class=Test.TestPawn in System\UE2Runtime.ini seems to have no effect.