PDA

View Full Version : Is this forum pointless?

Wormbo
16th Oct 2003, 01:58 PM
UnrealScript is UnrealScript, whether it's in Unreal Tournament, Unreal, UT2003 or the UnrealEngine2 runtime. I suggest scrapping this forum and having people ask their questions in the Unreal Development > Coding forum. Add a simple [Runtime] or [UE2] in the thread's title and a lot more people might be able to help you because they actually see the thread.

yoDon
16th Oct 2003, 05:29 PM
If people do start working actively in the UE2R engine, there will be a whole range of new issues that won't matter to people working on UT2003 mods. All kinds of classes that we currently take for granted wont exist and will need to be written from scratch (without using any code from other games). Probably best to keep that stuff from clogging the UT2003 boards...

-Don

RaptoR
16th Oct 2003, 05:41 PM
Agreed.

Techno JF
23rd Oct 2003, 05:31 AM
In case no one remembers, I argued for separate coding forums for UT and UT2003 when UT2003 was first released (no one listened, obviously).

And, uh...no. UnrealScript is not UnrealScript all the time. Speaking as someone whose has a small library of PC games which are predominantly Unreal-engine based, I've noticed that commercial liscensees tend to add their own little features to the UnrealScript language sometimes.

Example: For "Clive Barker's Undying", EA Games modified the engine so that their version of UnrealScript contained a new keyword "savable". (Use of savable: when the player saves his game, it searches all actors in the map. Only actors with bSavable=True are saved, and from these actors, the only variables that are actually written to the file are those marked with the savable keyword in the class's script. Everything else is loaded from the map and the actors' default properties.) Though I have not as yet examined the UE2R engine, I would bet good money that the savable keyword does not exist there.

Daid303
23rd Oct 2003, 06:47 AM
Add a simple [Runtime] or [UE2] in the thread's title and a lot more people might be able to help you because they actually see the thread.
Now there is the problem, very few people actualy do that... else it would be a good idea. But haven't you noticed the amount of UT2003 awnsers for UT questions in the coding forum?