MasterBootRecord problem

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Cunubelin

Absens haeres non erit (Soccerdad)
Sep 19, 1999
Sweden
An annoying problem to say the least...
When I try to boot from the harddrive with the MBR fault it simply says "01 01 01". It fills the screen and keeps on filling it.

So, is there a way to recover a busted MBR?

Before you ask; No, my dumb self have NOT created any rescuedisk... :/

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Boot of the W2k/XP CD and select repair. The two console commands that might help are fixmbr and fixboot.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
before you run fixmbr and fixboot, notice that it says "the identified partition type is:". If what it says after that is not what your partition type is (IE: FAT32 instead of NTFS), then don't under any circumstances use it. It will only make things worse.

010101 sounds like an MBR virus, put the drive in another computer and scan it with Norton AntiVirus, it might find the MBR virus.

Cunubelin

Sep 19, 1999
Sweden
Thanks for the help.
I ran NortonAV 2K3 pro on the faulty harddrive and it came up clean. No virus found.
Also, ahem, I forgot to say I'm running Win98SE...

I read somewhere that you could use fdisk/mbr to make the harddrive bootable again. What happens to the info on the harddrive when you do that?
I mean, fdisk will wipe your drive clean.
I'll go google now for an answer! :)

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
fdisk does not erase data, but it can make it seem like it was erased. Fdisk only writes to the partition table, which is recoverable. Unfortunately, I only have experience with this type of problem in NTFS drives, and you must be using FAT32, so I don't know how much I can help you. But if you would like some handy recovery programs, send me a PM.

Cunubelin

Sep 19, 1999
Sweden
Problem solved!
I'm a happy camper now, no, not THAT kind of camper! ;)
After backing up crucial files I challenged whatever gods there are and used the "fdisk /MBR" command. Worked like magic!

Thanks for helping me out!