Anybody Ever Chased Super-powered Sheep Before?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I have a little story about how I found out about Haruki Murakami. It started off with finding out about a nice gaming-review/doujin gaming update center www.insertcredit.com

I found some intelligent reviews of video-games, imagine that. One game review that particularly caught my interest was on a review of metal gear solid 2. The great part of the review was that the journalist Tim Rogers actually supported the twisted crazy storyline and brought out some intriguing points on the literary aspects of Kojima's creation. I bought MGS2:Substance for 20$ a little later, and after playing the game, I can say that that's the best $20 I put down for a video game. Not only did I get gameplay that, well is probably the best crafted action-oriented "tactical espionage" I've ever seen, but I read through the cinemas and cut-scene. Surprise surprise- the storyline in MGS2 is one of the best I've seen.

How many times do you get an impressive story that could compete with the likes of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy series, and even Earthbound, and still maintain great gameplay? Metal Gear Solid 2 made me realize how much I like the weird and convoluted stories that break the defined rules on what should be allowed in media entertainment. This got me captivated on a certain author which was pointed out several times at Insert Credit. A Japanese writer by the name of Haruki Murakami has been writing some offbeat, definitely weird stories dealing with modern day Japan. So one day I decide to pick up and read one of his books: A Wild Sheep Chase. Surprise surprise, it's the best novel I've read this year. Who could imagine sheep could be so fun, or creepy for that matter?

So I would like to know, has anyone else checked out this author? Does Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World ring any bells to you? Did anyone like the sense of unreality and turn of events Solid Snake and Raiden go through in Metal Gear Solid 2?
TURN THE GAME CONSOLE OFF NOW!!!

flookster

Somewhere im not scatterbrain
Nov 7, 2002
suburbia
Visit site
Hell yeah - big Murakami fan here - at the minute I am reading Dance Dance Dance the follow up novel to A Wild Sheep Chase and totally loving it. Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World is also a great read. But for anyone just getting in to Murakami I recommend The Wind-up Bird Chronicle or Norwegian Wood. The latter is one of the books that changed how I look at life and I would urge everyone to read it. The translation by Jay Rubin just feels perfect and when I finished it the first time I just went right back to page 1 - I very rarely reread novels but I didnt want Norwegian Wood to end. :tup:

What is Murakami's thing with wells all about? :con:

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I think he's scared of them...? I checked out an interview they did after his book Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, maybe he has a fear of wells?

Yay there's actually people who read the same books as I do, more surprisingly there's people here who read :p.