PDA

View Full Version : Bad looking ScreenSlideMap

CoolDude
4th Oct 2003, 04:32 PM
I made a screenshot (256x128, 256 colours) which I use for a ScreenSlideMap.

Everything works, however:
When I use a Screen with this map texture, the picture looks very bad (Too much brightness and less detail. Looks more like a 16 colour picture).
However, when I use the map texture directly on the place where I want to put my Screen the picture looks like it should be.

What am I doing wrong here?

Mychaeel
4th Oct 2003, 07:24 PM
Then you are not using the right palette for your ScriptedTexture. Either set the slide's Palette property (to the map texture you're using) or create your own ScriptedTexture instance (http://www.planetunreal.com/screen/tutorials-misc-scriptedtextures.html) with the right palette (and background image) to start with.

CoolDude
7th Oct 2003, 05:21 PM
I've changed ScreenSlideMap->ScreenSlide->Pallette to Texture 'MyLevel.Screenshot.map' and my map colours are OK now.

However, it seems that this has created another problem:
My Red PlayerIcons have now become now become Grey???

Rob
8th Oct 2003, 02:51 AM
You need to put some red colour (the same colour as the one of player icons) in your map-texture.

CoolDude
8th Oct 2003, 05:30 AM
Indeed the map texture at the moment does not contain any Red.

I was under the impression Screen used the texture 'ScriptedScreen.PlayerIcons' for the player colours (which does contain Red, Blue, Green, Gold and Neutral). I must have been wrong there.

Thanks.
:cool:

Rob
8th Oct 2003, 06:03 AM
'ScriptedScreen.PlayerIcons' shows how player icons will look like when players are or not invisible. Though you need to put the same colours in your maptexture (in our case red and blue).

Mychaeel
13th Oct 2003, 08:11 AM
The basic problem is that Unreal Tournament's ScriptedTextures (and its textures in general) only allow one palette of 256 distinct colors; everything drawn on the ScriptedTexture can use only the colors in this palette. Colors which are not present in the palette are substituted by the "closest" one that's available; for red, that may be gray in your palette.

The "Palette" property specifies the texture whose palette of colors is used for the ScriptedTexture. The standard palette used by the ScriptedTextures that come with Screen contain a subset of all colors, but due to the limited palette size this subset has to be rather coarse.