so,which CPU/VC should i get for my new system

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

darth_weasel

I won
Apr 20, 2002
UK
darth-weasel.tripod.com
<tech noob>

i can afford either an AMD Barton 2500(333FSB) and a Power Color Radeon 9800pro 128mb, OR an AMD Barton 2800(333FSB) and a Radeon 9600 pro

im thinking the difference in the cards speed will more than make up for the slower proc when it comes to games... but like id like some confirmation from one of the tech heads here :) the thing is the 9800 pro is from PowerColor and is a fair few quid cheaper thanother brands cards using the 9800pro chipset, so is this a make to stay away from or am i safe??

</tech noob>

Cactus

The Evil Spatula
Mar 19, 2000
Ithaca (A.K.A. Cornell's Bitch) NY
money is only transitory, if you have any, you should spend it all on stuff you like... stuff is transitory too, but stuff brings joy. stuff makes you happy, good stuff makes you happier than crappy stuff. the moral of the story, spend all your money to buy the best stuff ever, as if it were going out of style or the earth is about to be invaded by giant mechanical insects. or send the money to me, for it shall bring me joy!

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
LOL Cactus, you do need a hobby.

I would go with the first choice. Slower CPU, faster Card. Nothing wrong with power color.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
Games are more dependant on VC than CPU, just make sure your FSB is up there (333 is good) and your system has a decent amount of physical RAM, say 256-512. A HD with a large cache is also good for gamer rigs, disk access time becomes a factor even with 128mb VC given the extended use of DDS textures and Static Meshes (UT2003). If you are concerned about performance of your VC manufacturer scope out some reviews first (like at Tomshardware). I'd definately go with the barton (512 cache) good choice there IMO.