I hereby openly declare war on ET

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Recently a new game game out. It was the sequel to return to castle wolfenstein. Over the past few months this game has made several offenses against me. Therefore I hereby declare open war on enimy territory.

Grivances:
Stealing han causing him to not post as much and not visit us at fragbu.
Using the quake engine
Having more players than us.

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
As DB stated, the one thing ET has going for it that UT2003 doesn't: It's Free.

FREE is always a huge draw. Now ET is pretty decent...but how many players do you thing America's Army would have if it wasn't free?

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Well, since i'm here, posting again.

I'll tell you what draws me to ET.

-HUGE amount of players, I use All-Seeing-Eye and can get on a server with 10/12 players with a ping of less than 100 at any time. And I can pick servers that have casual players on it. I usually look for players without clan tags, cause TeamSpeak is big in ET. And 3 clanners on TS can shut everyone down.

-No one single player can make a difference (Unlike UT2k3), it's a team game and you are forced to play as a team. If i'm an engineer and there are two other engineers on my team I can tell what they're doing by what the announcer is saying. I can back them up or go covert, either way I'm helping my team.

-At the beginning of the rounds, if the teams are unbalanced (you can tell by experience points) then they call a "shuffle". If everyone votes yes (it happens more often than not), then the teams are shuffled by experience (if you're a better player you get more experience points).
So then it's a balanced pub (OMG can you believe it????)

-It runs on an old machine, it ran just as well on my 700Mhz NT work box just as well as it runs on my new one. I can't tell a difference. So, no more tweeking, no more framerate problems, no more "I can't use the LG in this part of the map"....blah blah blah.

- If you're being an @ss or don't know what you're doing, they call a vote and boot you from the server. So it pays to be cool.

- I dig the old campy style of it. I love those old WWII movies (Where Eagles Dare, Kelly's Heroes, Dirty Dozen...etc.) I love the 'outer space' stuff in 2k3 just as much.

- I don't worry about my 'posture' ffs. My hands don't cramp up from double dodging all the time...etc.

- Uhhh, Free.

Don't get me wrong, I love UT2k3 but it seems to be going the way of the Dinosaur, I've been playing some DM on Co30 the past few days. And it's fun, I've been winning matches and playing more defensively/patiently for some reason. I think it's the caution needed in ET.

When I came to 2k3 I was really hoping to get tons of servers like UT99 and just sorta lose myself in the gameplay. 2k3 is just a little too tight for me. I tried saving Unreal, like everyone is trying to save UT2k3/4...I'm not doing that again.

We'll see what happens in 2k4. *shrug*

It's just a game man.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
Edit: Han posted while I was typing.

Would it be better if ET used the Unreal engine? Sorry TWD, don't know how this war is gonna go for you...they have more numbers :p

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That short squat wrinkly alien kid is gonna have some problems matching up to rocket launchers and lightning guns, even with his healing/glowing finger!

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
Since this is an Unreal Tournament 2003-2004 forum, you should go and whine about other games in a different forum :rolleyes:

Scuzzbuster

It's Crunchy. It's Nice.
Jan 28, 2001
Indiana, USA
www.deviantknowledge.com
I like Wolfenstein, but I think you're talking about a whole different genre of game when you move into class based FPS.

Much of what drew players to games like UT and Q3 was the superb weapons play. Smart play was as much as a factor as skill. Using the right weapons in the right situation is paramount. The same goes for 2k3 though it's not as popular.

In any case, fundamentally, games like UT have spoiled me...any game where I have to pick what weapon I'm going to be using before gameplay even starts just isn't ass-kicking action FPS...it's...well...class based team game. Nothing wrong with it, it's just not UT.

LPRO

Aug 28, 2003
You've been playing on the co30 server Han? That's one of my favorite DM servers. Very friendly group and they run alot of custom maps to mix things up. Some are pretty rough but it's always nice for a change nonetheless. Hope to see you there!

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
LPRO said:
You've been playing on the co30 server Han? That's one of my favorite DM servers. Very friendly group and they run alot of custom maps to mix things up. Some are pretty rough but it's always nice for a change nonetheless. Hope to see you there!

Sure thing man.

I used play there alot after I left {KDS}.

But that was a while back, I got caught up in CTF.

I usually play around 8:00 Central time (US)

I'll put you in my buddy list. :D

LPRO

Aug 28, 2003
LOL, you used to play with {KDS}?

I was looking for a clan when I started playing 2k3 and was checking out co30 when Flame swept in and recruited me for {KDS}. You must have played with them back in the Unreal days?