Windows 2000 box, copying from a WinXP box ... why can't I copy archives!?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
Yeah. I can't copy archives. ****ing hell. I don't get it. Not just archives, but many executables. This is rediculous, and is driving me insane. Has anyone else run into this error, and maybe even fixed it or found a way around it!?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Virus scanner. NTFS permissions. Check the drive for errors. Call an exorzist. What kind of errormessage do you get?

Last edited:

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
I think I understand your problem. Are you trying to copy files accross a network share from XP to Windows 2000?

For XP pro I had to create an account with the same user name as the 2000 box and give that user permissions. I gave all permissions since security is not an issue.

I am not sure at this point. I think it is determined if you use simple shares or not. I think you have to add the user to the list of users that can use the share.

I can't remember what you need for XP home. If its still a problem for you tommorrow and I am on the right track I can take a look at work to see what I have done.

Keganator

White as Snow Moderator
Jun 19, 2001
PR's Barracks
www.kegnet.net
It's a win2k box, with the latest servicepacks and fixes. The machine I'm copying from is a Windows XP Pro laptop.

I swear, nothing was being used at the time. It gave a "Cannot copy file : may be in use" error. It wouldn't let me copy *some* .tar.gz files, some zip files, and some executables...even one .php file! I swear, was the stupidest thing ever.

I had accounts on both machines with the same username and passwords. On a 100 base T switch. Simple filesharing, read only. That's all there was, there ain't no more. I havn't had a chance to try again since, so I don't know if restarting mattered or not.

2_SeeK_U

uni.... meh...
Ok,
From the computer you want the files, try and execute the files on the laptop. If they run, this will expell any file permission problems. Now select all the files from the laptop from the computer and copy them to a selected folder. If you get the same problem, try the same from the laptop by trying to "send" the files to the 2000 machine. If this doesn't work then l would have to say that theres something simple thats wrong.

Basically, if you can execute a file on a computer from another computer, you should have the capability to copy.

(SDS)benmcl

Why not visit us here in the real world.
May 13, 2002
Visit site
Ok. We have the same problem when copying deleting or moving with our 2 XP machines even from one directory to another on the same machine. After some attempts we can get the files where we want.

I was told it was some sort of bug. I was told a temp work around was to stop and restart the explorer process which caused another I hate doing.

During the temp forums I mentioned this problem and someone posted a solution that made sense. Something to do with icons caching or something. Before I could get around to doing the fix we got the forums back.

So whoever posted that solution can you post here. I can't remember the thread but I listed several things I hated about XP. Network printing was one thing.

Edit: Oops. It was in these forums and suggested by Freon

"for the "file in use thing" try disabling the "web panel". it often try to "preview" the file (eg a pic or a movie) and it cause problems. in the last resort simply use the console command"

I need to check this out.

Edit: Ok I reread your post and realized that I doubt web panel would effect zip files. Try it but I doubt it will solve it.

Edit: Well made the change here. Will see if I get that error.

Last edited: