Homeworld 2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DallasStarsRule

making personal insults since 1999
Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
Hehe. After I took over the first enemy assualt assualt frigate I thought "man, its good to be back!"

Good good game so far, I'm only on mission 3, but my impressions are all positive.

The 4 biggest changes:

1)fighters are semi useful in the long run! when you build a fighter or corvette, you get an entire squadron...as long as one of them can make it back to a hanger to dock, when it leaves, the entire squadron will be there again at no cost...also they can target subsystems of ships now, meaning a quick strike at a important ship part is pretty useful

2)new interface...there is something of a blizzard type interface now, its not as intrusive as you'd think. If you played the first homeworld or the expansion, you wont even need the tutorial

3)much much harder...I actually lost on mission THREE. I went through cataclysm on very hard without building anything but workers too, so this increase in difficulty was a surprise. I seem to have a constant lack of money. Various reasons, but a big part of this is attributed to....

4) Cant stay on a mission forever anymore. After the last goal is done, you auto harvest all resources and hyperspace. This was a dissapointment actually because you can no longer rebuild a fleet at the end of the mission, and research everything availible. I'm finding that salvage is a huge part of the game, because you're often cash strapped AND have a lack of ships.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
I'm only on mission 4 and it's fucking hard. Not that the enemy kick your ass or even damage your mothership. But every attack, every forward ressource collector get blown by either dozens of fighters or continuous frigate assault :hmm:
An useful feature is the PAUSE mode, since you can still give orders and build ships. When you're attacked on several sides, it's nice to switch from one to the other while pause ;)

good game but not really original. there is muuucchh more units than in the demo (without hacking it that is), the new units are even introduced as soon as in the 3rd mission.

DallasStarsRule

Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
er whats the pause key lol

yeah its not so much mothership blowing up, its more like a long long war of attrition on both sides, and you cant really make your ultimate victory fleet because there's no break in the enemy waves

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
From what i read from the dev team , the difficulty in a missions is set by making an addition for all the ship you begin with , at this mission start (addition of the sum of their RU value, as lot of fighters is not the same as lot of frigates)

The more ships you have at the mission start (i heard that even your actual RU ressource in bank count too) , the more difficult it will be by making the CPU to have a lot more ships and squadrons to throw at you .

So if you find some mission too hard, you are in fact responsible by having a too powerfull fleet yourself ;)

Some very special ships doesnt count in this addition number (but no more spoiler from me)
Have fun

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
[UMC]Boron said:
im on mission 7. but yeah the levels are quite hard...I think i've lost once on every level since 4 or 5
I'm on mission seven as well. Pretty good game, but it seems like you can't really win some of the missions the first time, try and fail seems to be the only way to succeed.

Liked the athmosphere of the other HW games better.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
nothing exeptional here, just a few cheap units
taken on a GF4 (in 1280x960 then resized) Keiichi has posted some nice screen shot in that other thread :)

Attachments

• ss00004.jpg
    ss00004.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 54
  • ss00006.jpg
    ss00006.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 36

DallasStarsRule

Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
ok any suggestions for the 4th mission?

I'm just jacking their frigates as they come to me at the start and building up a fleet that way. The first time around, I built up corvettes but they got plastered. Then I built up torpedo/flak frigates, but both of them seem to suck ass against everything.

The only decent frigates that are availble seem to be the enemy ones so....hence my strategy 3rd time around.

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I think I used a screen of Ion cannons from a distance, while the bombers and Inteceptors were distracting them. Wasn't very hard.

DallasStarsRule

Nov 7, 2001
Toronto
www.teammuf.com
the one where you're supposed to blow up the hyperspace inhibitors on the asteroids and then the base

the problem was the 20 frigates appearing out of no where

anywhos I beat it with pulsar corvettes and bombers...dem pulsars are the pwn

I learned from the boards that there was a 'dynamic difficulty going on'. It takes your total armor value, and give the enemy cash flow and ships accordingly. Unfortunately its a bit off, because for every one destroyer you have, they get like 3. I read that one guy had a big fleet and on mission 12 he was immediately rushed by 28 destroyers and killed, and then he went back to the previous mission and scuttled everything but fighters and 2 battlecruisers, and he was only rushed by 2 destroyers.

The first time I did mission 4 I had an entire fleet of jacked ships from mission 3, and that was making it really hard. Afterwards I just used full pulsar corvettes and bombers. Frigates suck anyway. Not fast enough to dodge any fire, not tough enough to take any fire...worst of both worlds. I retired the mission 3 carrier too, to lower my armor count. Those things are useless considering the armor and money they cost.

Last edited:

})FA|Snake

Aug 5, 2000
Visit site
Is there some trick to jacking ships? my marine frigates allways get decimated at the outbreak of a battle, and even if they don't the frigate they dock with can always kill it before the bar fills up

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
A support force is a good idea and you can do the following too

Make a lot of Collector with the Repair ability researched to follow your Marine Frigate salvage attempt .
There are 2 usage with those.
-They repair the Marine Frigates during the process
-They provide additional targets to distract from your Marine Frigates ;)