Should I get a V2 for UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cyad

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
I just saw UT on a V2 yesterday and it looked waaayyy better than it does on my TNT. I'm really considering getting a V2 now. I know getting a new video card for 1 game is stupid, but UT might be worth it. I don't wanna get a V3 'cause I don't wanna replace my TNT. 3DFX cards aren't great for every game. Whaddaya think?

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Actually Cyad, the V3 2000/3000 is better than the TnT (not the TnT2/ultra - that's another debate). But the V3 3000 will stomp a TnT card in 95% of the games out there.

You should be able to find a V3 3000 AGP for $114, SHIPPED. Advanced Vision website .

I'd definitely go this route.

bullet2.gif

Yeah, they come to snuff the Rooster...
nguid:167703

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 01-31-2000).]

Losers_Revenge

Jan 6, 2000
Visit site
I've actually seen the V2 for less than that. I think that they are running a $40 rebate on them right now. I've got one and I really like the results I've gotten from it. I have also heard plenty of good things about the V3's though.

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
Yeah, Glide would be nice for UT. (tho with an Athlon/GeForce it's irrelevant)
Do remember before you buy anything, (V2, or 3) that UT is probably going to be the last major game released (maybe Werewolf) that was coded from ground up around Glide. They've done wonders with d3d and OpenGl, but the Unreal engine will always be happiest with 3dfx.
Just be careful...you probably will be buying for just 1 game.

bullet2.gif

"Who's up for the donkey show and some unholy butt sex?!" -- Lloyd Kaufman

Losers_Revenge

Jan 6, 2000
Visit site
Knew I forgot to put something in there...I saw it in a local Best Buy. I think that retail was $70 with a $40 mail in rebate. It's sucks having to wait for the money to come in, but it's worth it to save that much. I hope this a little more helpful than my previous post

There are alot of good reasons to go with the V3. UT looks awesome on it, noticably nicer than the V2 and it does 1024x768 and up. Did you all forget about Duke 4 or Duex Ex, both Unreal engine games. The only game that looks noticably better in 32 bit color is Q3A but it doesn't look that bad on a V3 and it plays pretty fast. Of course Q3A is lame so its not a big concern.

If you don't have the money to go TNT2 then a $75 V3 2000 will do you nicely. There's alot of life left in my V3.