Voice comms thread at Atari Forums

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
Finally a good thread at the Atari forums :lol:

Here is a thread in which the community and programmers at Epic actually come up with something good!

Hightlights

Features should include

Mute players options (menu tbc)
Disable voice comms (to save 56kers bandwidth. yay!)
Both "push to talk" and "voice activated" comms.
Codec - hardcoded to using a special version of the Speex codec at 4.8kbps

------------------------------

Should make FragBU even more interesting with built in voice comms :) When I get my ADSL i shall definitely be purchasing a mic ;)

Hope you TeamSpeak freaks appreciate the info :D

I_LoveToKill

Danish Bastard!
Nov 11, 2001
Denmark
"Codec - hardcoded to using a special version of the Speex codec at 4.8kbps"

Well unless they have done something realy amazing to it
that means I wont be leaving teamspeak, that's lower than
the celp codex and that sounds realy horrible :tdown:

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Sorry but if they're using 4.8 I'm sticking with teamspeak. Anything short of 12-16kbit is unbearable, and I think that if you don't have enough bandwith for the 16.4 codec then you won't have enough for voice chat at all to begin with.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Agreed TWD. I guess I will have to reserve judgement until I actually use it though. For now Teamspeak is teh roXor.

If I did actually use it I really like the ability to mute people within the game. Of course, playing mostly DM, I probably wouldn't want to listen to anyone. All I would hear is people call me a n00b spammer.

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
I_LoveToKill said:
"Codec - hardcoded to using a special version of the Speex codec at 4.8kbps"

Well unless they have done something realy amazing to it
that means I wont be leaving teamspeak, that's lower than
the celp codex and that sounds realy horrible :tdown:

I thought this number sounded really low but then I have no experience with comms systems. Maybe they improved the compression enough to make 4.8kbps acceptable. Similar to what they did with .ogg after .mp3

Let's hope so eh? The blocking feature sounds rather nice...

edhe

..dadhe..
Jun 12, 2000
Scotland
www.clanci.net
Teamspeak is fairly old, but i'm not that impressed with a sub 5k 'clarity'.

Oh yeah.. and are they even considering offering a headset/earpiece with the game?

missPoopShoot

voodoo rage
Jul 13, 2003
Cambridge, UK
Visit site
From www.speex.org

-------------------------------------
Speex 1.1 Released
September 18, 2003
This is an unstable release. It brings many new features, some of which are still experimental. The new features are:

a denoiser that removes most of the background noise and can be used before encoding (available as --denoise in speexenc)

automatic gain control (AGC), which adjusts the volume to a constant level (available as --agc in speexenc)

echo cancellation (experimental, only available from libspeex)

A jitter buffer which handles packet buffering for VoIP applications (experimental, only available from libspeex)

an improved narrowband mode at 4.8 kbps (nonstandard mode, only availablefrom libspeex for applications that don't require compatibility with other software)
------------------------------------

Looks like this 4.8kbps tech is improved. Whether it'll be good enough for you 16kbps wh0res who knows :lol:

And edhe, was this a joke?

"Oh yeah.. and are they even considering offering a headset/earpiece with the game?"

You tight fisted Scotsman! :)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
All my questions have been answered :D After listening to the sample that the dev posted for me it's just as good if not better than the 16.4 codec that we've been using. Plus we do have a version of voice activation which is a little different. This will definatly rule. Those CS n00bs will be sooooo jealous.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
get a USB set, hopefully they will let us set our outputs to seperate them from our speakers.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Well, I actually used the voice comm in UT2004 and it wasn't bad at all. I've used Team Speak and other voice programs and the UT2004 version didn't have any static and the sound quality was on par with Team Speak's at high settings.

However, this was in a LAN and, as I stated before, I can't say how well the voice feature will work over the internet. But if people are concerned about sound quality, well...stop dissing because it is good.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
lol I ain't dissing. I personally think in game static would be better than out-games ok sound.