PDA

View Full Version : WoRM2k3 on a server?

FarmBoy
15th Sep 2003, 01:31 AM
I've been using the excellent WoRM2k3 mutator to test out some of the really cool custom weapons that have been released recently. So far, I've been doing this in off-line mode, strictly against bots. However, I'm the admin of a couple UT2003 servers, including a LAN server at work. For my LAN server at work, we want to be able to switch the default weapons to a custom weapon config (a mix of Remote Strike weapons, frnz Sniper Rifle, 9mm SMG, and G36 Assault Rifle). Basically, I'm putting together a custom real-world weapons pack with the weapons that I currently think play best. To that end, I want to use WoRM2k3 to switch all the default weapons to these weapons. I want to use WoRM2k3 because I've found it to be the best weapon switcher, including the fantastic support for placing a weapon in a particular weapon slot and having it stick there on the weapon bar. Kudos to the author for getting this to work, since the other weapon replacer mutator I tried doesn't do this.

Now, here's the crux of the issue. How do I get this to work properly on the dedicated server and on the clients? I'm a very experienced server admin and thought configuring it via the GUI on my gaming client, uploading the ini file and all pertinent files to the server, registering the mutator in the MD5 db, and adding it in to the mutators list on the server, would do the trick. I get all the weapons replaced properly on the maps, but the weapons don't properly go into each configured weapon slot on the clients. That feature (as mentioned above) is one of the main reasons I went with WoRM2k3, and I want to get it to work properly in a server/client scenario. Any ideas on what might be wrong or is this something that needs a little tweaking in the mutator code to work properly?

SamMaster
15th Sep 2003, 12:36 PM
I think its gonna need to be implemented via some simulated function. Kangus, any ideas?

Kangus
15th Sep 2003, 02:04 PM
I tried using simulated functions and all kindsa stuff to get the renumbering working client side up before MSUC.... I've pretty much been drained of ideas.... if anyone out there is experienced with replication type stuff and has a clue as to how to fix it, feel free to tell me.

FarmBoy
15th Sep 2003, 03:24 PM
Hmmm, so I guess that means that it won't currently work in the scenario that I have. Is that correct?

If you get something that you want tested, please let me know. I'd be happy to test it for you.

Kangus
15th Sep 2003, 04:29 PM
well, the renumbering won't work, no..... but as long as your players do not mind madly tapping the number keys or using the mousewheel to find their weapon, it should be playable.

I'll keep you in mind for future testing once I get back on the ball.

FarmBoy
15th Sep 2003, 06:19 PM
OK, thanks for the info. I won't attempt to roll this out to my LAN players yet then. I guess in the meantime, I'll simply use the default weapons or just use the Remote Strike weapons.

I'd definitely like to be involved in the future testing efforts. If you need any incentive to get "back on the ball", I'd be happy to provide one... ;) pm or email me for details...

Thanks again...

FarmBoy
22nd Sep 2003, 04:54 PM
Hey Kangus,

Just checking to see if you've investigated getting this working in a client/server scenario yet.

Kangus
22nd Sep 2003, 05:45 PM
well, the good news is I started playing UT2k3 again... the bad news is I haven't looked at the code yet....

FarmBoy
23rd Sep 2003, 01:15 AM
well, the good news is I started playing UT2k3 again... the bad news is I haven't looked at the code yet....
Good for you!
:lol: :lol:
I have mixed feelings about that. You know, like the kind you'd get when your sister-in-law drives off a cliff, in your new Ferrari...

SamMaster
23rd Sep 2003, 11:46 AM
lol

Kangus
6th Oct 2003, 08:19 PM
Update: now not only have I been playing UT2k3, but I've been mucking with the code again.... hehe... maybe WoRM will be next ;)