How far are you willing to go for a lan?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I think I might of asked this in off topic before but it got lost and I didn't adress it to the 2k3 forum.

How far would you be willing to travel for a BuF lan. A long time ago they did slutcon which ended up being a big sucess, and the europeans have e-lan all the time. We have not had a lan, and I think it's the next step.

So if it was a 1-2 day lan and you didn't have to bring your own computer how far would you travel for a BuF lan?

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Depends on how much of a warning I had, and how big it would be. For something like Quake-con I would go anywhere on this continent. If it was like a couple dudes in your parents basement or something, I would probably travel like, i dunno, a couple blocks or so.

:D

[Ci]Necro

Dec 8, 2002
www.clanci.net
I'd have to agree with spineblaze... unless its going to be a very well organized event (proper venue/heating/ac/lights/POWER) it wouldnt be worth most of the buf'ers going... although i did drive 11 hours straight (from ontario to ohio) for a party that ended up being canceled... heh

if i were to make a suggestion (without knowing the general areas in which most of you live), i'd hold it in and around the michigan area... its pretty close to us canucks (detroit is about 5 hrs away from me)... then again, it should be central to most of the members, not just me ;)

JonAzz

UA Mapper
Aug 1, 2003
North of Philadelphia
michigan wouldn't be that bad for most peopl... if you live in the states its like in the middle (well top middle :D)

but thats probaly the best spot to have it

but you need like ALOT of people in order for it to be worth it :)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
If we had it in utah and it was just us buffers (so 20 people) we would probably use the local online gaming center 20 machines high speed network 1337 connection good facility and such. If you wanted a big lan we have a 100 person plus lan every month but you'd have to have your own pc.

[Ci]Necro

Dec 8, 2002
www.clanci.net
for most ppl bringing their pc isnt that big of a deal, even if it wasnt required, i'd still prolly bring it due to it being set up propery (i use a tacticalboard instead of a keyboard, so if i was forced to use a keyb, i'd suck hardcore...)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well we could do it in Utah, but I figure that most America/Canada BuFfers would much rather drive somewhere like Missouri, which is prettty much the central state. There or Iowa...but we would have to have someone that lives over there organize the whole thing. In Utah we already have the space and everything lined up for any time that we want to make use of it (except the monthly lans are on certain saturdays). I'm sure that we could negotiate a 2 day event here if people were interested in that.

Hedge

Wish I was with her
Sep 12, 2003
out in the boonies
Visit site
Hey brizz and twd,
I think we should just invite all our fellow Bufers to the protocol 42 tournament. Imagine 40 of us or so walking in. One or another BuF will win the ctf tournament. lol

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:lol:

and then maybe it would become a UT2003 lan rather than a 10 hour counter strike randy goat raping :)

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
I'd love to but prolly will never happen.

if I did you wouldn't have to suppy a computer, I'm about to recieve a lappie that'll play most games! (UT2K3 included)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
saying that we will provide the computer is pretty much trying to put down anyone who might say "I don't want to lug my machine across the country!" We want to know if people would be interested and how far they would go to get there.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
rofl

that's why i was thinking middle of the country. It's about 12 hours max from everywhere in the US and still close to the canadians i spose. Could be in like Iowa/Minnesota if anyone lives there.

*NiKita*

aka Flame
Dec 6, 2002
Ohio
www.atomicrage.net
I've always wanted to go to a lan, but only one where I knew the people. Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia are prolly the only states I'd travel to for one though.

eTool

Sep 12, 2003
NJ
www.fragsystem.com
I have driven 750 miles to Indiana (close to Ill.) for a week long lan/party/camping trip, I live in NJ (close to nyc)

/me looks around

so This is where TWD hangs out eh? :)