How big is too big?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

PhrozeN

And Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
Well just for the hell of It im planning to make a totally impossible to play map thats around 4,096 X 524,288 X 524,288 units big. Im gonna fill it with a terrain actor thats midly hilly and covered in snow. Thick distance fog, no skybox, just plain grey skies, and falling snow made with the xWeatherEffect or the Particle Emmitter. And then adding a deco layer of just mass amounts of trees. How would you predict this would run, or would even a map of such large size work. Im thinking of halfing those units down, but I wonder if using the whole entire engine area is possible?

chip

Nov 14, 2002
Visit site
you'll probably run into serious BSP hole/HOM probs with a main subtract that big, and your terrain will likely start to vanish at about 65536 units from the view point. this based on my experience with a map contained within a 65536 square area. your mileage may vary.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
if at all possible, do NOT use a map size that big. it would take more than an hour to go flag to flag without jump pads or something. if u put jump pads, they would have to shoot u so high, fast, and far, that the game would most likely crash, if not look like total crap while you are in mid air. 4096 is in itself a pretty large size. I believe the width of the flagroom on chrome is 2048. multiply this by some insane number and you will get 524,288. no offense, but why do u want to make a map so huge? it would have serious performance problems, it would be unplayable game-wise (why do u want to make it impossible to play on purpose???), and i do not see any redeeming qualities with using such a large map size.

PhrozeN

Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
Well I just wanted to make a scene pretty much, it takes the redeemer about 6 minutes to fly nowhere. I wanted to make this huge winter wonderland like scene where you just walk around and do absolutely nothing and use it for various flyby sequences. However anything over 65536 starts giving homs, I Just made a huge ass room 4096 x 524288 x 524288 and it runs just fine.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
-a cube of 65536 is perfectly possible when combined with a terrain actor,i even made 160 000+ areas, just as long as you dont touch the floor by walking on it, stay on the terrain
-you cant get homs like that, you can only see the maximum view distance in action, after which everything clips out and becomes black/hom, so make sure your fog is thick enough to not look this far, and make a skybox+fogring
-it will run absolutely fine, but the more trees you add, the slower ofcourse, but the basic terrain, effects, and details will run absolutely fine
i made a forest once,350000 poly, 700 trees,grass, large terrain,2 suns, etc, horrible long rebuild, but still kinda playable in game,tho dont expect a lot with so many trees
-you do NOT want zoning in such large area,it wont optimise anything, on the contrary even, you only want to make some hills and mountains around,and place anti portals in them
-where to use such map? onslaught:p
you could make an ons map before ut2004 is even out:)

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
i mean the mesh ring that sinside the skybox, thats made out of a solid color that fade out towards the top
this way your distance fog will nicely blend over into the fog ring in the skybox, so you wont see where the terrain clips away and the skybox begins
make sure the fog and the ring are the exact same color
you can first put the color on the fogringtex in photoshop, and in ued you can use the colorpicker from the fog settings to take over the exact color from the ring

technically bCleartofog (or something) should also be true(zoneinfo settings prolly), but im still figuring out why the hell they want that to be true since i dont see a lot of changes when its true :)

and about the trees, its prolly not the polycount which would kill your pc first, its more likely that all the alpha surfaces will
the tree leaves and grass are translucent in a way, which is extra heavy for the pc
you could try to convert all alpha tex to masked tex,they are slightly faster
that might help a little, but dont expect miracle, and on some pcs the alpha complexity crap mode seems to have less influence then on others, no idea why

PhrozeN

Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
I can't find a good fog ring, I find the one in AntalusStatic but it tapers off to the top, I remember seeing one that was a full ring but I have no idea where to find it.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
skyline meshes
and the texture you got to make yourself in photoshop + alpha layer prefferably, or you could just make a solid color 64*64 res texture, and then make a shader, and put another fogring tex as opacity map so it uses that alpha map
in case you dont know how to make your own alpha maps

Kru3geR

Sep 11, 2003
Tennessee
can I ask what the point in making such a large size map is? Personally I think it's a waste of time, ecspecially if you are making it to be played on multiplayer.. Again, I don't think that the engine will allow a map that big to be played without having errors or even crashing.

PhrozeN

Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
well mind you its not a multiplayer map, second of all I made a cube that was the full size possible and subtracted it, and it built and ran fine. I upped the zone light and played the map. I felw a redeemer across the map, I think it took around like 20 - 30 minutes for it to hit the end, lol

Kru3geR

Sep 11, 2003
Tennessee
lol.. use the loaded and allammo commands and just start launchin them into the sky everywhere and sit and watch the fireworks :)