Review: Super Weapons X 1.2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
[ Transcript of review for Super Weapons X 1.2 | Posted by Shuri on 2003-09-10 | Score: 7 ]
I'll begin this with two notes:
a) <a href=http://modsquad.beyondunreal.com/review.php?id=165>Here</a> is a review of a previous incarnation of the mutator(s). However, it is not done by me - as such, do not look at the scores and assume it is worse than before - this is just my opinion, and is should be taken as completely seperate from the last review.
b) It is unaccurate to be calling this Super Weapons X 1.2. I have simply called it that as that is the version number of the two oldest mutators, out of the four. Four?! Yup. Which leads me onto my first point. I seriously feel this should be compiled into a single mutator by this point - by the time this escalates to a full weapon replacement mod, you would have to apply too many different mutators for it to be practical to use. So please, make me happy, one mutator next time ;).

I think that there is one way to describe this mutator (I'll treat it as one from this point on) - SPAM. Perhaps SpamMaster would be a more fitting name for the author. The mutator reduces games to complete and utter chaos, which is both a pro and a con. Here's a run-down of the weapons:

<i>Retro-Plasma Assault Rifle</i>

Replaces the default assault rifle. As with all the weapons, it has a new skin - but the 3rd person model has the default skin, which I can only assume is a bug.
Primary fire shoots out a long tracer of gas affect - I am not entirely sure if this is hitscan projectiles (like the minigun) or not, but it acts similar to the primary fire of the normal assault rifle. The one main difference (other than effects) is that it can shoot through walls - I didn't work out how thick walls had to be for it to not pass through them, but spam wasn't an issue.
Secondary fire shoots some plasma, which has the same gas effect. More powerful, but slower rate of fire and projectiles. Fairly nice, but nothing special.
The weapon feels very mediocre - nice idea, but doesn't stand out too much. The main issue seems to be balance (within these new weapons - not compared to default weapons), as it takes far too long to kill someone with this weapon.

<i>Black and White Gun X</i>

This is a very interesting gun. Riddled with imperfections, but interesting none the less. It replaces the link gun.
Primary fire shoots out 'light' projectiles, which are basically just that - lights. They act similar to the link gun primary, but much faster.
Secondary fire shoots 'dark' matter - a large, slow-moving orb that has the shock combo effect.
The interesting part comes when you mix the firing modes. When light projectiles hit the dark, they combine to become grey matter. This is the same as dark, but much more deadly.
Now then, the problems. Primary fire's projectiles are much too light (they brighten the whole area), and also too spammy - perhaps lower the rate of fire slightly. Secondary fire stays around for a long time when it hits something - I think it should be a bit smaller, and explode when it comes into contact with something, instead of staying there. Grey matter is, as far as I know, exactly the same visually as dark matter, and it should in some way stand out as different.
The real killer of the weapon though is framerates. This is from the spamminess of the primary, and the way dark projectiles stay around for a long time. My framerates were very low when this weapon was in use - hopefully this will by sorted in the next version. The suggestions I made above would help.

<i>Super Flak-Cannon X</i>

Spam. That's effectively summed-up this weapon.
It acts the same as the regular Flak Cannon, so there isn't much need to explain it - the only real difference is that it shoots so much more projectiles. The sound effects on secondary fire are still a bit over-the-top, but better than before.
The main issue is spam - while it can be fine in doses, this is just too much for my liking.

<i>Super Rocket-Launcher X</i>

Basically the same as the normal rocket launcher, the difference is that rockets are more powerful, and faster. Secondary now loads up six, and loads quicker. The biggest (and best) difference is that lock-ons to targets are much quicker, and you get a nifty crosshair over your target. Fun weapon.

Now then, general stuff - one thing that stands out clearly, is that while weapons are reskinned, ammo isn't. It would add quite a bit if it was.
Also, as mentioned in the Black and White Gun X comments, framerates are pretty low overall, not just for that weapon. That is a result of the amount of projectiles.. which I just find too much to be honest. There's a limit to how much spam you can take, and the main (or only) offenders are the SFCX and B WGX.

But as much as I fault this mutator, it is fun. It just needs a lot of work to bring it to the higher range of scores.

-Shuriken

Dryn

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
*nods*
Good review. As soon as you move away from a special weapon or two and take the game to the point of a full-weapon replacement mod, you need to take into some specific considerations; this being ballance between the guns and making sure they just plain work. The Flakker doesn't sit well with other high powered weapons, and the FX for the light-dark-grey gun need serious revision.

SamMaster

Master of the Super Weapons
I just would like to point out a few things:

- The Grey matter actualy "smokes" and has a 0.1 sized model for its base model. Thus its not like the dark matter, unless you were talking about something different. And I'm aware of the framerate thing, and tried to fix it, but I guess I'll have to reduce the lifespan of the BWGX projectiles, as well prehaps as reduce the frequency of the seeking times.

- The original flak cannon was always powerfull up close and it is the same thing for this one, except the alt fire can hit in a wider spread. I'll possibly have to up the damage of the flak chucks though to resolve the balance issues mentioned.

- The RPAR is still a starting weapon. It can kill in 4-5 shots with primary though. 3 with alt. And did you try it with the berzerk combo? OMG. I'm still gonna balance it though. Oh, and I though it did have the 3rd person skin. Ah well...

- I'm gonna make a single mutator when I complete my 5th weapon: the magma gun. I'll also try to implement a menu (which failed in the UT version).

Thanks for the review. I just wish I had as good an imput as this from regular users, which ends up only being one e-mail saying "it R teh r0x0rzzzzzz!!!!11111" more or less. Thanks again :)

edit: Oh! In other places they also call me SpamMaster :D

Last edited:

Shuriken

Cordless Pixie
Apr 11, 2002
Yoo`kay
www.planetunreal.com
SamMaster said:
1- The Grey matter actualy "smokes" and has a 0.1 sized model for its base model. Thus its not like the dark matter, unless you were talking about something different.

2- The original flak cannon was always powerfull up close and it is the same thing for this one, except the alt fire can hit in a wider spread. I'll possibly have to up the damage of the flak chucks though to resolve the balance issues mentioned.

3- The RPAR is still a starting weapon. It can kill in 4-5 shots with primary though. 3 with alt. And did you try it with the berzerk combo? OMG. I'm still gonna balance it though.

4- I'm gonna make a single mutator when I complete my 5th weapon: the magma gun. I'll also try to implement a menu (which failed in the UT version).

5. Thanks for the review. I just wish I had as good an imput as this from regular users, which ends up only being one e-mail saying "it R teh r0x0rzzzzzz!!!!11111" more or less. Thanks again :)

(numbered your points)

1. I guessed that it did look different, but I guess I couldn't notice it so much while playing. Either way, I think it should be more different, so that chumps like me notice ;)

2. I actually think the damage of the flak is fine. But it just isn't my kinda weapon... I'm a lightning gun whore.

3. No, I didn't get to try it with berserk :D

4. Cool. What's the config menu for?

5. Np :)

SamMaster

Master of the Super Weapons
1 - Grey matter mostly is a smoking grey/transgluceny ball of unstable matter. you mostly see the trail it leaves though, not the ball itself.

2 - You'll love what I have in store for the lightning gun: the Bouncing Lightning Gun, bounces off walls a few times as well as more spectacular effects and damage :D

3 - I did it partialy by accident once and MAN! I think it at least doubles the rate of fire. You see that ammo go down fast!

4 - Adding/removing weapons and other stuff like maybe special moves like high-jump or wall-jump or wall clamp