PDA

View Full Version : My visit to Epic Games Headquarters

TyeFang
9th Sep 2003, 01:06 PM
Well, I have some exciting news I thought id share with you all.

I was invited to Epic yesterday on business and had the opportunity to play UT2004 in all its glory. Yes, in ALL its glory. Mark Rein got his most powerful machine (from home), set it up in his office, and we played side by side against a bunch of the devs in assualt and onslaught.

First off, the game just frickin rocks. there a ton of new maps...not sure if they will all make it into the release...but wow.

For assualt we played Convoy...what a rush!! leaping from convoy to convoy, sniping, shock combos and mini turrents everywhere. Objectives exist both inside and outside which add a lot of depth to the map. Plus, you can leap onto vehicles that are driving by to bridge the gap between convoys...or you can use them to hitch a ride from one end to the other or wherever :)

They have some new "weapon stands"...not sure what to call them, but it allows you to pick up multiple weapons at once by running over them.

One change that I noticed immediately was that shield and health reduce together...so shield=health stacking is officially a thing in the past.

I can go into so much detail...i played for over 5 hours and was even asked to sit with some of the devs and give feedback about what I liked and didn't like.

Assualt is great. Onslaught is great as well...im hard pressed to make a decision about which is better. Both game types rule.

Onslaught we played Torlan...i think thats the name... heh :)
It was Mark's favorite...which is probably why you have seen it so often.
Before we started playing, I was saying to mark "I can't wait to get into the tank and start shooting flyers out of the air. lol. He said its almost impossible...tank fires to slow he said. hah. First minute into the game, I grabbed a tank and shot one of those hover flyer things out of the air from 200 yards :D

My favorite vehicles are the tank (BOOM!!) and the hover thing(ill edit and get the name right in a bit). Although, the hellbender is by far the most versatile in my opinion...but it requires the most team work. The shock combo turret weapon is disgustingly powerful!!! woah man. I love it. I wish the driver could fire a weapon though...

I played a kick ass map for CTF. The one with the japanese-like design. Absolutley beautiful map. Stunning! ..gameplay is great. I had a lot of fun on this one.

I have to run, I'll add a lot more details later...feel free to ask questions as well...although, I may not be able to answer them all.

Cheers,

- Tye

Hanover_Fist
9th Sep 2003, 01:15 PM
WOW! Lucky you!

I hope you took pictures?

spineblaZe
9th Sep 2003, 01:17 PM
One change that I noticed immediately was that shield and health reduce together...so shield=health stacking is officially a thing in the past.

First of all, I hate you. ;)

Second, for the part about shield and health reducing together... WOOT!!! I love it!! \o/ *stand and cheers*

TWD
9th Sep 2003, 01:21 PM
Er what exactly was the bussness that let you in?

did you notice any ballance changes with weapons (minigun?) and what can you tell us about the sniper, what's it's rate of fire damage etc compared to the lg and what gametypes did you see it in?

Shared this with prounreal here's the thread: http://forums.prounreal.com/viewtopic.php?t=40956

pine
9th Sep 2003, 03:54 PM
Hmm.... but I'm guessing the shields still stack (50+50=100)?

TWD
9th Sep 2003, 03:55 PM
http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316550

ataricommunity's thread on this

Swift Viper
9th Sep 2003, 05:23 PM
I like the sound of those changes to the health and shield (so shield is just not extra health anymore, won't save you much if you have low health, UT style) \o/ ! Weaponstands (Weapon Bases) can hold more then one weapon now \o/ !

TyeFang
9th Sep 2003, 05:26 PM
Er what exactly was the bussness that let you in?

did you notice any ballance changes with weapons (minigun?) and what can you tell us about the sniper, what's it's rate of fire damage etc compared to the lg and what gametypes did you see it in?

Shared this with prounreal here's the thread: http://forums.prounreal.com/viewtopic.php?t=40956

The minigun definitely SEEMS more powerful...it feels alot more like the old UT version of the mini although not as powerful...its more useful than the UT2003 version, from what i saw when i used it.

One of the great improvements to the mini is that it actually sounds like a kick ass weapon...and i could get multikills without having to back up or strafe/dodge around someone forever (::shudder::)...i could just mow through peeps nicely ..and its effective to take out those gliders on ONS if you are good at evasion. So something has changed :D. ps. I did not notice any lockdown...but it definitly lights up your screen with blood and sparks when you are getting chewed up by the mini..and it does jerk you a bit, but does not seem to effect movement (dodge). I hope im not wrong on this.

The Sniper is fast...much faster then the LG, but not quite as fast as the old sniper. However, the smoke screen is quite obstructive to your view(when zoomed) and a bit less obstructive if not zoomed. It takes a good second for the smoke to clear completely...If you were/are good at run-n-gun sniping, you will own with this weapon. It looks to take off around 50 damage for body...not sure on a headshot.

I only saw the sniper in the assualt map I played, but you can add it to any game-type I believe. There's a mutator (lots of those by-the-way :)) that allows for you to change all LG's to sniper and vice-versa and to add weapons from one gametype to another...

The minigun turrets are disgustingly powerful and spammy. You can't outrun or outmanuever them. You really have to take them out first unless you benefit from a distraction. The new gametypes (ONS and AS) greatly encourage you to use a variety of weapons to do well...much more than TF or DM do. If you don't...you will suck :)

as far as to what business i was there for...sorry, I can't talk about that, atm. no PMs pls :)

cheers,

- Tye

Sir_Brizz
9th Sep 2003, 05:31 PM
ah smoke screen that will help...

I don't know if I like the sound of that minigun or not, sounds like a complete and utter whoring gun now...

and lastly, I hate your stinking guts Tye!!!!! lol :)

TWD
9th Sep 2003, 05:42 PM
I've seen the smokescreen in videos and it might help people see you but other than that it doesn't help much with ballance. The sniper is still a headshot weapon right? People already complain about the lg being too powerfull and now they're bringing an even more powerfull weapon? I can't see them making the minigun do even more damage O_o The minigun already dominates CTF defense. All I'm seeing right here is some serious imballances. Unless they made serious changes to all the other weapons the minigun and sniper will completely dominate just like in ut1.

This doesn't sound ballanced at all.

JonAzz
9th Sep 2003, 05:54 PM
you honestly think that they only changed 2 of the guns?? :con:
of course they balanced the othe guns out!
i dont think that they want tons of complaints in the first week of the release :D

Selerox
9th Sep 2003, 05:54 PM
ah smoke screen that will help...

Won't help at all with run and gun players. They should at least remove the crosshair when it's unzoomed (ala Counter-Stike sniper rifles). This is designed to be zoomed, so people souldn't be able to use it effecivly when it's not zoomed.

JonAzz
9th Sep 2003, 05:55 PM
I agree, make it more relistic....to a certain point :D

TyeFang
9th Sep 2003, 05:57 PM
I've seen the smokescreen in videos and it might help people see you but other than that it doesn't help much with ballance. The sniper is still a headshot weapon right? People already complain about the lg being too powerfull and now they're bringing an even more powerfull weapon? I can't see them making the minigun do even more damage O_o The minigun already dominates CTF defense. All I'm seeing right here is some serious imballances. Unless they made serious changes to all the other weapons the minigun and sniper will completely dominate just like in ut1.

I think they probably DO lean more towards UT then they do now. Bu they don't go quite as far as UT did. Besides, UT was a far more liked and played game. perhaps this a good thing? They still have time to balance them. Its not finished yet :)

Also, the stronger minigun for me was a perception...probably hightened greatly by the new sounds. I still think its more powerful in some way..either faster rate of fire, quicker spin and/or more damage. Id venture on the quicker spin and rate of fire.

lol Sir Brizz :) I did not lke the minigun turrets... they kicked my ass as I fumbled aroung on AS-Convoy trying to jump from the convoy to convoy.

The minigun, for me, was a lot of fun to use and made the game feel more real than almsot anything else. I love that weapon now. Feels great to mow peeps down wit it :) and, they have plenty of time to tweak it before the game is released....

- Tye

pine
9th Sep 2003, 05:59 PM

Well, making the minigun more powerful def. sucks but at the higher levels somebody with good aim and a shock rifle will take out a miniwhore every time. As long as they haven't added insane lockdown it should work ok.

As for the sniper rifle, besides its RoF in UT one of the things that made it so powerful was that it was super easy to get a headshot. UT2k3 is quite a bit more difficult, you have to be really accurate. So with an RoF less than UT1's, the smoke screen, and more difficult headshots, it should not unbalance the game too much. Besides it sounds like it will be OPTIONAL and most hardcore players will probably just go without it.

TWD
9th Sep 2003, 06:03 PM
Perhaps it has a quicker spin but less damage and no lockdown? That would seem somewhat reasonable.

I'm more worried about the sr more than anything. Even if it is just in assault you know the admins will stick on the mutator to switch them, and I think CTF would suck with the sniper in it.

TyeFang
9th Sep 2003, 06:04 PM
Well, making the minigun more powerful def. sucks but at the higher levels somebody with good aim and a shock rifle will take out a miniwhore every time. As long as they haven't added insane lockdown it should work ok.

As for the sniper rifle, besides its RoF in UT one of the things that made it so powerful was that it was super easy to get a headshot. UT2k3 is quite a bit more difficult, you have to be really accurate. So with an RoF less than UT1's, the smoke screen, and more difficult headshots, it should not unbalance the game too much. Besides it sounds like it will be OPTIONAL and most hardcore players will probably just go without it.

True. Very true.

EDIT: ps. about the mini. It's not THAT powerful...but its definitely more enjoyable to use. and the sniper...again, less powerful than the LG...faster rate of fire but not as fast as the UT sniper

- tye

TWD
9th Sep 2003, 06:09 PM
Ahh true, I didn't think about how it's a lot harder to get a headshot. I can see it being usefull in an HUGE assault map. In a really big map where snipers is your only option it'd really suck to have a lg.

Sir_Brizz
9th Sep 2003, 06:20 PM
:lol:

I should start a petition to remove lockdown altogether again!!!!!! ;)

TWD
9th Sep 2003, 06:21 PM
What about the pro mode? Cliff talked a bit about allowing them to standarize settings such, but it doesn't tell us much about what we can do.

Radiosity
9th Sep 2003, 06:49 PM
On the 2 weapons (akimbo) front.....I seem to remember the Shock and Link were both now available as akimbo weapons........damn man, SugarBear and the other ShockHo's are gonna have a field day with akimbo weapons :eek:

DaBeatard
9th Sep 2003, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the write up Tye!

SugarBear
9th Sep 2003, 08:30 PM
I'm really sorry and all, no offense to you as a person, but I have a really hard time believing some of the things you are saying, most of it is vague, some of the things you talk about have already been phased out of the game, and as for the mini being more powerful they specifically said it was less powerful with a faster spin up rate and lower rate of fire.

I mean, if you really went, sorry, but you're just to vague and incorrect for me to believe it.

[MD]FT
9th Sep 2003, 09:15 PM
hes making it all up!!!

HE WENT AND SAW HALF LIFE 2 BY ACCIDENT

TyeFang
9th Sep 2003, 10:15 PM
I'm really sorry and all, no offense to you as a person, but I have a really hard time believing some of the things you are saying, most of it is vague, some of the things you talk about have already been phased out of the game, and as for the mini being more powerful they specifically said it was less powerful with a faster spin up rate and lower rate of fire.

I mean, if you really went, sorry, but you're just to vague and incorrect for me to believe it.

LOL :) Nice try. next you'll be asking for proof. :)

The mini seemed more powerful to me...doesn't mean the shots did more damage individually, but over all, the weapon was more useful and more fun to use.

phased out of the game? what do you mean? I played the latest build of UT2004. UT2004 has assualt...they brought it back from UT. ;)

And of course its somewhat vague. I can't reveal all, and I only played for about 5 hours. I am going back in few weeks tho :P

- Tye

Tropic
9th Sep 2003, 10:33 PM
oh cool :)

TyeFang
9th Sep 2003, 10:39 PM
What's the current damage on the mini's primary for ut2003..?

- Tye

edhe
9th Sep 2003, 10:44 PM
The mini seemed more powerful to me...doesn't mean the shots did more damage individually, but over all, the weapon was more useful and more fun to use.

You *were* playing it on a lan with a neglegible ping and higher-geared tickrate.

TyeFang
9th Sep 2003, 10:55 PM
Well, i just checked my "notes" and see that the damage on the Mini was 3 per bullet on the build I played. Is that more/less/same as it is now?

Oh yeah, the damage on the sniper was 55.

and damage took away equaly from shield and health. For example: 100/50 -> 1 sniper shot -> 73/22 -> another sniper shot -> 40/0

- Tye

UnrealGrrl
9th Sep 2003, 11:01 PM

This doesn't sound ballanced at all.

yea i REALLY hope they have not increased the damage for the minigun... it didnt seem like it was from the version i played on saturday but truthfully i was more into checking out what the menus were like and all the new stuff...

i did notice flak seemed to have been slowed down some on secondary and that the pulse gun seemed to be beefed up in range, i dont know about damage...

but MG is the last thing they should have touched to make stronger, i hope not...

JohnDoe641
9th Sep 2003, 11:26 PM
You *were* playing it on a lan with a neglegible ping and higher-geared tickrate.
I was hoping no one mentioned that yet. I wanted to say it. ;(

But that's probably it since the mini is 100% more effective offline than online.

TyeFang
10th Sep 2003, 12:08 AM
yea i REALLY hope they have not increased the damage for the minigun... it didnt seem like it was from the version i played on saturday but truthfully i was more into checking out what the menus were like and all the new stuff...

i did notice flak seemed to have been slowed down some on secondary and that the pulse gun seemed to be beefed up in range, i dont know about damage...

but MG is the last thing they should have touched to make stronger, i hope not...

Hi Grrl, I asked this earlier, but since you are probably lookiung for a response, ill ask you. What is the current damage on the MG primary? It's 3 points per bullet on UT2004. I want to compare that first.

- Tye

btw, good points Edhe and JohnDoe ...that is possible...I hadn't thought of that.

Sir_Brizz
10th Sep 2003, 02:32 AM
the mini on the current build of 2k3 is 7/12 I believe.

I_LoveToKill
10th Sep 2003, 02:42 AM
What about weapon switching times?

They better not have messed with that.

Wormbo
10th Sep 2003, 02:48 AM
What is the current damage on the MG primary?
According to the code it's 6 to 7 points of damage per shot, 5 shots per barrel rotation and 3 rotations per game second (i.e. 3.3 rotation per real-time second at 100% gamespeed) for minigun primary. Secondary has 12 to 14 points of damage, but only 1 barrel rotation per game second.
[/statswh0re] :D

Sir_Brizz
10th Sep 2003, 02:59 AM
I was right

generally ;)

but no freaking wonder its a whore weapon...that's 15 bullets every second and about half of those are guaranteed to hit you.

I_LoveToKill
10th Sep 2003, 03:42 AM
Oh yeah forgot to ask:

Can you tell more about how the shield system works?

Like, I read you can't stack shields anymore, so can you still pick
it up like in ut1 and it just wont add anything, or do I still have to
fire a shock ball at my feet to take off some shield so I can grab
it and keep the other team from getting it?

If the latter then this will suck IMO with the new system, because I
will hurt both my health AND have to take shield off to grab it.

Thanks

Selerox
10th Sep 2003, 06:55 AM
I'm pretty glad they're removed 100% damage absorbtion on armour. 150 armour + keg = 349 damage to take out a player. Which is entirely too much.

Wormbo
10th Sep 2003, 07:26 AM
I'm pretty glad they're removed 100% damage absorbtion on armour. 150 armour + keg = 349 damage to take out a player. Which is entirely too much.
Even without 100% armor absorbtion every shield point corresponds to a damage point absorbed, it just doesn't absorb all the damage, but lets a certain percentage hit the health. A player can still have 349 hitpoints as long as the armor absorbtion is kept above 40% or so. (Too lazy to calculate the actual minimum value. ;))

SugarBear
10th Sep 2003, 10:03 AM
I like the armor taking 100% of the damage, it meant that people like rev had to hit me twice to kill me, one shot kills with the LG is teh lose

CrazyCougar
10th Sep 2003, 10:42 AM
I always wondered why they never put a range limit on the sniper rifles... make the damage dealt dependant on the distance between you and the target. So if your meleeing with the ltg you'll do poor to average damage... and you'll want to switch...

Basically if you limit damage done by the distance to the target you'll actually make the sniper a distance weapon...

Of course a headshot at close range would still count. I'm just talking about the body shots.

[MD]FT
10th Sep 2003, 10:52 AM
Good Idea Cougar

TyeFang
10th Sep 2003, 10:56 AM
According to the code it's 6 to 7 points of damage per shot, 5 shots per barrel rotation and 3 rotations per game second (i.e. 3.3 rotation per real-time second at 100% gamespeed) for minigun primary. Secondary has 12 to 14 points of damage, but only 1 barrel rotation per game second.
[/statswh0re] :D

Thanks!!! :)

My god, its that powerful?? sheesh!

well, then my perception of power must relate to the spin-up and/or rate of fire...because looking at my notes, it did damage increments of 3...very fast mind you...very fast. I bet rate of fire has been increased almost double. That would be my guess...

Weapon switching felt the same, btw.

Again, to clarify how shield and health work... damage took away equally from shield and health. For example: 100/50 -> 1 sniper shot -> 73/22 -> another sniper shot -> 40/0 (where sniper did 55 damage) Notice how shield takes the extra point...

Also, I could only pick up one 50 health shield..and it did not let me pick up the other one(at null value)...but that could still be in the works...

You can stack the 100 + 50, as they are two different shield types. Again this is what I saw on the current build, which, I might add, changes constantly.

- Tye

Selerox
10th Sep 2003, 11:10 AM
I always wondered why they never put a range limit on the sniper rifles... make the damage dealt dependant on the distance between you and the target. So if your meleeing with the ltg you'll do poor to average damage... and you'll want to switch...

Basically if you limit damage done by the distance to the target you'll actually make the sniper a distance weapon...

Of course a headshot at close range would still count. I'm just talking about the body shots.

Very good idea :tup:

One other idea could be to remove the crosshair when the weapon is unzoomed. It'd force people to use zoom, which would then be counter-acted by the smoke better.

Sir_Brizz
10th Sep 2003, 11:44 AM
Agreed, with the Sniper you should have no crosshair.

TWD
10th Sep 2003, 11:48 AM
I don't think not having a crosshair will help much. Not having a crosshair doesn't stop the awp whoring in counterstrike.

I like the idea of it doing less damage when it's point blank.

Hunter
10th Sep 2003, 11:57 AM
i'm jelous, i would love to even just walk around Epic not play games :)

Selerox
10th Sep 2003, 12:12 PM
I don't think not having a crosshair will help much. Not having a crosshair doesn't stop the awp whoring in counterstrike.

I'm not sure, it'll do at least something to stop the close range run and gun stuff.

Hanover_Fist
10th Sep 2003, 12:21 PM

That's really what's done in Counter Strike and Enemy Territory.

If you're jumping around with a rifle you can't hit anything...which in effect is 'less damage'. You're more accurate when you squat down. That's fine for those games but I like the dodging and swapping getting midair headshots in the Unreal universe.

That's what sets this game apart. It's Unrealness

TWD
10th Sep 2003, 12:24 PM
It has nothing to do with the movement. In CS an awp whore will either tape a crosshair to their screen, or use weaponswitching. Walk around with the DE which has a crosshair, and when they see someone press a button which switches weapons and shoots.

At least we won't be seeing both snipers at the same time. If someone did weapon switching between the sr and the lg that would suck. Then again probably wouldn't be worth it, would get more shots if you just used the sniper rifle.

Hanover_Fist
10th Sep 2003, 12:26 PM
You're agreeing with Sel not me right?

We posted at the same time :p

Not having a crosshair on the sniper isn't going to stop anyone, all you've got to do is put a dot on your monitor. It always stays in the same place.

I know I would.

Edit: dammit, stop posting so fast.

I_LoveToKill
10th Sep 2003, 12:32 PM
What takes most skil?

Sitting around camping away from the action, taking potshots at whoever runs by

OR

Using a hitscan weapon on the run while both strafing and jumping like mad.

If you have the aim and are able to hit people while moving around
in close combat why should you be punished?

And making the damage range dependant will introduce more randomness
into the game, randomness is bad, like the shieldgun primary damage,
and the assault grenades being unpredictable.

Hanover_Fist
10th Sep 2003, 01:59 PM
It has nothing to do with the movement.

What doesn't have anything to do with movement?

Are you saying that the accuracy of the weapons in CS is constant irregardless of the movement of the player ie: running jumping or standing still?

Sir_Brizz
10th Sep 2003, 05:45 PM
Why are you comparing the dumb gun to the AWP in counterstrike? It's not going to be one shot one kill ffs!

Not having a crosshair WILL help because maybe 1% of people would be STUPID enough to draw/tape/poke anything to/on/around/near/by their monitor. I know I wouldn't, it would be worthless.

Also jumpiness in CS REALLY screws you up because you can't move for a moment after you jump, and anyone with any gun OTHER THAN a sniper rifle will have you dead by the time you could move around to hit them.

The AWP whoring in CS results from camping...and maps that condone camping. That's the simple fact of it.

DaBeatard
10th Sep 2003, 05:53 PM
Tye, did they have voice coms implemented in the version you played?

TyeFang
10th Sep 2003, 05:55 PM
Bah. No way would I tape something to my high-res 19".

Q for Tye:
Did you happen to notice the effect of the Shield on the weapons, particularly the Sniper Rifle? I'm thinking/hoping the SR fires bullets akin to mini/AR and would be deflected. Can you confirm?

I also posted this here (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?p=1207610)

I'm trying to see an answer to this. From game experience, the mini, when hitting me with shield, i would alternateively lose 1 to 2 health per bullet while also losing 1 to 2 points of shield. (never more than 3 points combined per bullet) The rate of fire was intense...

The sniper was like I posted before...it did 55 damage and would distribute the damage evenly between shield and health. I don't remeber ever getting a headshot with the sniper...so not sure of the damage.

Im gonna follow your link now and see what you guys discussed there.

- Tye

TyeFang
10th Sep 2003, 05:58 PM
Tye, did they have voice coms implemented in the version you played?

yes, they were using it quite a bit. Mark was yelling constantly, "Somebody get into the frickin' Hellbender!!!" :) when we were playing onslaught. The quality is supposedly decent, but there are plans to make it even better. I didn't get to listen to it as I didn't have a mic-enabled headset with me :(

- Tye

btw, I have made some more informative posts over at INA...if you guys want to have a look:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=316550&perpage=30&pagenumber=2

Sir_Brizz
10th Sep 2003, 05:59 PM
*drool* built in voice comms....

Are they letting you press a key to transmit to everyone in the server for taunts and such or just the channel thing Unreal Championship did?

Radiosity
10th Sep 2003, 06:02 PM
Tye, I think Scum was asking about the ShieldCannon, not the Shield Pickup ;) Does the Shield Cannon deflect a Sniper Bullet?

TyeFang
10th Sep 2003, 06:04 PM
Tye, I think Scum was asking about the ShieldCannon, not the Shield Pickup ;) Does the Shield Cannon deflect a Sniper Bullet?

LOL, whoops. I guess all this shield/health talk has got my brain twisted.

Honestly I don't know...lemme see if I can get back to you on that one this evening.

- Tye

Hanover_Fist
10th Sep 2003, 06:14 PM
*drool* built in voice comms....

Are they letting you press a key to transmit to everyone in the server for taunts and such or just the channel thing Unreal Championship did?

Hopefully, you'll be able to setup a private channel for you and your buds.

Because I really don't want to hear the kind of stupid chatter I've heard in other voice comm equipped games (counterstrike)

Selerox
10th Sep 2003, 06:40 PM
Lets hope the in-game voice coms will be slightly higher quality than the garbage you get out of the voice coms system in Counter-Strike :(

Renegade Retard
10th Sep 2003, 10:10 PM
My concern as a dialup player is that built in voice comms will effect online playability. That's why I'm rarely on TS any longer, as it plays havoc with my ping.

Sir_Brizz
10th Sep 2003, 10:26 PM
with an increase of 40% in net code speed it should have plenty of room to sit in :)

Thrawn70
10th Sep 2003, 11:57 PM
And in previous interviews about VoIP, the Epic guys said that it was optional and could be disabled through player side settings.

DeRailer
11th Sep 2003, 12:37 AM
omg tye you sexy beast! Sounds totally 1337
/me rub tye

A_Rimmerlister
11th Sep 2003, 03:34 AM
If you're health is reduced even if you have shields then that might explain the 'increased' power of the weapons.
The minigun had to waste more ammo before it could damage the health, now it can do some damage at the start already ...

The Trasher
11th Sep 2003, 04:31 AM
Lets hope the in-game voice coms will be slightly higher quality than the garbage you get out of the voice coms system in Counter-Strike :(1.) Voice-comm is now a standard HL feature, it's in all mods.
2.) You CAN mute people in HL/CS

Selerox
11th Sep 2003, 06:15 AM
1.) Voice-comm is now a standard HL feature, it's in all mods.
2.) You CAN mute people in HL/CS

I was talking more about the sound quality, or lack thereof :)

The Trasher
11th Sep 2003, 07:38 AM
The higher the sound quality, the more data has to be transferred. As such, servers would slow down, 56kers would lag even more, and people wouldn't like it very much.

Renegade Retard
11th Sep 2003, 08:37 AM
And in previous interviews about VoIP, the Epic guys said that it was optional and could be disabled through player side settings.

Which would put dialups at an even bigger disadvantage.

TyeFang
11th Sep 2003, 11:55 AM
omg tye you sexy beast! Sounds totally 1337
/me rub tye

:D

oh, btw, the talk animation is back :) (hand to headset)

- Tye

DaBeatard
11th Sep 2003, 12:00 PM
thanks for answering our questions Tye. Got another one for ya ;)
In onslaught, do the 'power nodes' look the same from map to map? How do you go about capturing them, is it like a control point in dom? And how does an onslaught game finish, capture the final node, destroy something?

TyeFang
11th Sep 2003, 12:49 PM
thanks for answering our questions Tye. Got another one for ya ;)
In onslaught, do the 'power nodes' look the same from map to map? How do you go about capturing them, is it like a control point in dom? And how does an onslaught game finish, capture the final node, destroy something?

:) I can answer this one

First off, yes, the nodes themslevs all look the same from map to map. athough what surrounds the node and the the benefits of eachnode are different.

The nodes start off in the game as neutral. You can only capture a node that is linked to your base...and then succesive nodes can be captured.

To capture a neutral node for your team, you simply need to step on the "activation area" and the node will appear above it...somewhat transparent. Simple. However, you cannot use the node (to capture other nodes) or benefit from the vehicles it activates (ill get to that in a bit), until the node is FULLY POWERED.

It takes decent amount of time for the node to become completely powered for your team. It happens natuarally if you leave it alone and no one attacks it, and you can speed it up GREATLY by using the link gun secondary. Two peeps with links can power up a node in seconds

Once the power bar for the node is full, you gain access to vehicles that have been assigned to that node,and the spawn points for the node, and now you can move on to the next node and capture it.

Once you have full control of a node, you maintain control of the node and all its benefits even when it becomes damaged...and the enemy would now have to completely destory it for you to lose the benefits.

To take over an enemy's node, you have to first destory theirs and then start your own and power it up.

Once you have a line of nodes that connect from your base to their base, you can now go after the enemy's Power Core. The power core is the nice huge power-core looking structure in the middle of the enemy base. Tanks from long distance are perfect for taking out power cores on Torlan.

Once the power core is destroyed (it has a power meter similar to the nodes) the game is over and you have won! :)

In ONS-Torlan, the nodes are out in the open, protected by turrets often.

in ONS-ArcticStronghold the nodes are in well protected two story buildings.

- Tye

Sir_Brizz
11th Sep 2003, 06:08 PM
sounds an awful lot like XMP :/

TyeFang
11th Sep 2003, 07:01 PM
is that a bad thing?

haven't tried xmp, but it works well in onslaught :)

- Tye

Selerox
11th Sep 2003, 08:03 PM
sounds an awful lot like XMP :/

I think you'll find it's the other way around :)

Sir_Brizz
12th Sep 2003, 02:59 AM
no matter which way it is...I hope it's Onslaught leading XMP and not vice versa though. It sounds alot more intriguing.

TomWithTheWeather
13th Sep 2003, 03:18 PM
I can't wait! :p (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=115518)

Qbic
13th Sep 2003, 04:57 PM
Some more questions for Tye:

How big are the ONS maps, did you time how long it takes to walk/drive/fly across one? What happens when you get to the edge, do you hit a barrier, take damage or whatever?

You have to capture power nodes in order but how about destroying them, can you fly back to the enemys first node to stall them?

From the videos it seems easy to operate the flyers, will players benefit from using a joystick?

As far as I understand it's possible to drive/fly in both first and third person perspective, does any view have benefits in control and fighting?

That's all I can think of for now, nice work Tye :).