Unreal Annihilation: Peeper Paper

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The Unreal Annihilation team have cooked up a nice 640x480 wallpaper of the Arm Peeper. For those of you who've never played Total Annihilation, the greatest RTS of all time, the Peeper is a cheap little unit that is weaponless but carries an indispensable radar, quite helpful in terrorizing your foe. Drop by the site and check out the fine work the UA team has done so far on their UT2003 mod.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
:lol:

I actually DID just get through playing NOLF2.

Excuse me, I must go and surrender my membership card to the TA fan club. I guess it was better than writing Hore. ;)

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Sorry. Every blizzard RTS and quite a few others are better than TOtal Ahnnilation. (if it was such a great game how come I feel lucky to have heard of it?)

Pxtl

Lord of the Files
Jan 30, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
TA takes a little to learn the true beaty of the game. At the simplest appeal is the obvious - I hit unit limit of 256 in TA without breaking a sweat. I can handle armies of over 500 with trouble. StarCraft makes commanding more then 10 units at once a pain.

TA, SC, and Dark Reign are the 3 major approaches to RTS design. SC has small unit counts, each unit is complicated and detailed, and has specific interactions with each other unit in the game. This limits the game to small unit counts - you command small squads specifically, using their powers specially.

Dark Reign goes for squadren based approaches - you do formations and teams of units, but large teams. It feels complicated and kludgy.

TA throws the details out the window. Your army has become a massive, living, breathing organism. The little units are nothing more than cells of the beast. You learn to think in particle systems - clusters and patrol zones. The units are simple - they each do a job. You throw them around - you learn not to command individuals so much as conduct the orchestra. And yet, it does this not with Molyneux-esque ambiguity, but with direct commands - you control the units directly, individually, but you don't think of them as individuals.

TA ends up feeling not like a simulation or a game - not like you were trying to approximate a real-world or hypothetical environment (as games like DR feel) or like you're in some rule-encrusted hyper-chess like StarCraft - it feels like its there. It feels like there is a little world of Morty's, Commanders, and Construction aircraft running around, and your little mouse is trying to control it.

TA is cool.

Z and Battlezone are good too.

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Massed ground battles amongst the wreckage of past wars = truly classic gaming moment

Wow, never thought of TA quite like that, but I know what you mean completely. TA feels like you are commanding a whole, not just fragments.