PDA

View Full Version : Secure & mapvote kicks

theGnee
4th Sep 2003, 04:39 PM
Hi all,

I'm a clanbase supervisor, and need to get to the bottom of a problem regarding players getting kicked off of 2k3 servers. I know older versions of MapVote would kick players at the end of the game, but what would a server.log look like when this happens?

Here's a few cut and pastes off a few server logs that I have been passed to check. Are these 'mapvote bug' kicks or is it genuinely a hack of sometype?

ScriptLog: [INSECURE CLIENT] -edit name-[ global id edit]
ScriptLog: [INSECURE CLIENT] has a modifed PlayerSkins
ScriptLog: [INSECURE CLIENT] MD5 of [e59ffc31f1dcbb668408a3648ac73fef] expected [084b130ae3446290c7093339464117d5]

ScriptLog: [INSECURE CLIENT] Player[ global id edit ]
ScriptLog: [INSECURE CLIENT] has a modifed PlayerSkins
ScriptLog: [INSECURE CLIENT] MD5 of [e59ffc31f1dcbb668408a3648ac73fef] expected [084b130ae3446290c7093339464117d5]

Personally I don't see why a mapvote bug would show up with players getting kicked with an apparent modified playerskin? Also the the kicks arent happening end game but mid game.

I have spoken to the author of the security mutator which was running on the servers, and he has agreed there is no legitimate reason for anyone to modify a playerskin file (anti tcc is the security mutator - like Pure I guess but for ut2003).

I can forward you the whole log if you need it BDB. I would appreciate a confirmation on weather or not this is a mapvote bug type kick or a genuine hack.

Thanks.

theGnee

http://www.clanbase.com/news_league.php?lid=1020

Yogi
4th Sep 2003, 05:22 PM
Check http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=111140 for more information about the "end-game-kick-problem" but I think the player above really modifed the playerskins because the MD5 sum is completely different from all MD5 sums I saw before.

Bye,

Yogi

theGnee
4th Sep 2003, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the reply Yogi,

I read your thread, and found it interesting, but why is it showing up as a playerskin problem? Where's the relation to playerskin & mapvote? Try disabling Kick Voting so that the that window doesn't load...... Nope, I tried it, still the same problem

Alot of people are getting kicked as they try and join, it's not happening end game, so it can't be a mapvote bug can it ?!? Has anyone seen or heard about a hack using the PlayerSkin file? Can anyone tell me 100% if it is or isn't a hack / mapvote bug?

I really need to get to the bottom of this :(

Thanks.

Yogi
5th Sep 2003, 02:30 AM
Thanks for the reply Yogi,
I read your thread, and found it interesting, but why is it showing up as a playerskin problem? Where's the relation to playerskin & mapvote?

I don't know but I can tell you that it happens on our server only at the end of the game when MapVote kicks in, without MapVote (or UTSecure of course :)) no problems with the PlayerSkins.

Alot of people are getting kicked as they try and join, it's not happening end game, so it can't be a mapvote bug can it ?!? Has anyone seen or heard about a hack using the PlayerSkin file? Can anyone tell me 100% if it is or isn't a hack / mapvote bug?

I really need to get to the bottom of this :(

Certain Aimbots hack the PlayerSkin files, so of course it's possible that some of the Players try to use an Aimbot. In the last days guys with the tag [ELF] in front of the name used always Aimbots (but UTSecure/AntiTCC can't detect these Aimbots) on our server (check the Epic-Stats for [ELF], it's a shame :().

What you can do is to check the MD5 sum of the PlayerSkins from the server if the sum is the same as for the players that get kicked then it's more a bug of UTSecure then a cheat..

Bye,

Yogi

BDB
5th Sep 2003, 12:28 PM
We have never been able to reproduce this problem.
As far as I know it is not a bug in MapVote. The kicking is being done by UTSecure not MapVote.

It would help if you can tell us exactly how to reproduce this problem because it doesn't happen on all servers.
You can send me your log file and I'll take a look, not sure if it will help tho.

Yogi
5th Sep 2003, 02:38 PM
We have never been able to reproduce this problem.
As far as I know it is not a bug in MapVote. The kicking is being done by UTSecure not MapVote.

I think that MapVote somehow triggers the bug in UTSecure, but I'm not really sure about this.

It would help if you can tell us exactly how to reproduce this problem because it doesn't happen on all servers.

With AntiTCC 1.06/UTSecure 2.11 and MapVote b11 and the original server PlayerSkins I can reproduce this bug almost every time at the end of the game.

You can send me your log file and I'll take a look, not sure if it will help tho.

Sure, no problem. I must reconfigure the server so that the bug appears again and then I'll send you the log file.

Bye,

Yogi

BDB
5th Sep 2003, 05:26 PM
Well, There's no need to reconfigure if copying the skins to the server fixes the problem.