BlenderBound

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Well, I've been meaning to try out Blender, as I don't have the thousands of dollars needed for 3d Studio and similar, so I finally gave it a go yesterday. Found an all-right tutorial for >really< basic stuff, so then I just found something that would be easy enough to model. GunBound was open at the time, and I noticed the A. Sate was pretty simple, so I went ahead and did that. No, it's not much, but hey, this is my first time so I have an excuse, right :D

http://lifesbane.homestead.com/files/AMesh.jpg

http://lifesbane.homestead.com/files/AControls.jpg

http://lifesbane.homestead.com/files/asatemblur.avi

By the way... how can I get blender to save images? Movies work fine, save with the names I specify and everything, and I can even save a still shot if I set the animation to Begin and End at frame 1 and click the "Animation" button... but I can't seem to get pictures to actually "write" to the hard-drive when I click "Render". Any suggestions?

Actually, at that, any sites you know of with some good newbie-intermediate tutorials? I already went through the ones at BlenderWars, but I'm ready to move on to some more complicated stuff.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
You know, I saw that Wings3D thing, it's actually what made me end up finding Blender. What does it have to offer that Blender doesn't have, or doesn't do well? From what I could tell, Wings was just a modelling program... while Blender is modelling, animating, rendering, etc. You seem to be familiar with Wings, so is modelling in it really easy, or do the results just turn out really good or something :)

Nice scimitar, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

randomas

May 24, 2001
Visit site
Blender is great I'm learning to use it there's some pretty darn good tutorials out there as well.

My only gripe with it is that to do interactive stuff you need to use the 2.5 wich is not gpled ....

My advice is to learn the keyboard shortcuts ... otherwise you will go mad.

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
I wish it had better undo support as well. Seems like you can only undo things you have changed in Edit mode. So if you do something like a join, or a boolean op, you can't undo it unless you reload your last save file. Luckilly, I save a lot. :D

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
yeah blender is really good :D especially with the yafray renderer :) but with saving images, just click render, then save image (make sure that your rendering settings are correct (if you have incorrect settings like render tga then save as jpg trust me it causes chaos :p ) and YES you need to work out all the short cuts... when you do that you can model faster then you can in 3ds by a factor of 10 :p

by the way, that M4 model that ive got hanging around in my thread was made with blender.... and its my first true modelling task... comes to show that you dont need to be an expert to generate good stuff

M4A1_56.jpg

Last edited:

LifesBane(4Corners)

Sep 27, 1999
come.to
Nice work! I definitely am going to check into that renderer. Another one I heard of was at http://www.povray.org/ , but I don't really know anything about it. Just had the link saved so I could one day go take a look at it and see what it was about ;)

Yah, I figured out how to do the picture saving thing finally... I was thinking it was like animations where you just specified what directory it should be placed in and when you hit Render it would save it automatically :p

Now I wanna figure out texturing and lighting better... although I've always stunk with lighting and texturing, even in mapping for Unreal it's been my weakest spot :p

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
the problem with blender third party renderers is that theres a lot of code to deal with (ive had to end up mailing the creators because im just NOT code oriented) and regardless - i still cant work out how to do some of the texturing properly... hence why i took the model to 3ds... but i think that blender is good for taking uv maps - its easy and its to scale - no dodgy confining the cordinates to some square! ;)