Why do people call the game UT99?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Kind of minor, but I'm wondering why people start calling this game UT99 after UT2k3 came out. UT came out in 1999, so it should be called UT2k (or UT2000) or UT2k3(2003) would have to been called UT2k2(2002).

UT99 = Came out in 1999
UT2003 = Came out in 2002

I'm not getting the picture here, calling it UT99 can confuse some people into thinking it came out in 1998 (the first Unreal did). It should either be called UT99 and UT2k2 or UT2k and UT2k3. Then again calling it UT is the best way to go because that is the actually name and does not have the Sports Theme that UT2003 has.

Again, I know it is kind of a minor thing, but please don't post stuff like "OMG, who cares!?", because it is just pointless and the same could be said for every thread that you don't care about, plus that would sound like it is speaking for everyone.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Yeah it's so silly.. just call this game "unreal tournament", "ut", "ut1"..

ut99 sounds so ... :D hilarious.. I don't know.
People can be so silly sometimes...

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT99 didn't have a "sport theme" attached to it so it didn't have a year. People call it UT99 because it came out that year and didn't have a year attached to it.

If Ut2k3 were called UT2 instead it probably would have been a non issue, but in the UT2k3 forums everyone refers to UT2k3 as UT.

Swift Viper

Sir_Brizz said:
UT99 didn't have a "sport theme" attached to it so it didn't have a year. People call it UT99 because it came out that year and didn't have a year attached to it.

If Ut2k3 were called UT2 instead it probably would have been a non issue, but in the UT2k3 forums everyone refers to UT2k3 as UT.
That is the problem right there, people are not calling it by the actually name, because UT2003 is the name of the game and UT is the name of a game too. It does not take that long to type 2k3 after UT and calling the game by a name it is not can be confusing. While calling it UT1 is not a problem, because this happens with all games that have a part 2 or higher. I'm not targeting you, but the peopel that started the whole confusion, but then again it is not much of a confusion at all actually ;) .

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
yah I'm generally not confused. There are a few times though, especially with moved threads....

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've never heard, seen, or been taught that...

the k in 2k3 is for the naughts. You can use it in place of any thousand units...this would be like 2000 + 3...so 2k24 would be 2000+24, etc...

asylum

- tinkab3ll -
Mar 19, 2002
Chesterfield, UK
Visit site
Zedsquared said:
And anyway, while we're being pedantic, 2k3 == 2.3k == 2300 according to long established practice so it's all wrong so there! :)

2k3 does not equal 2.3k

2k3 simply says "2 thousand 3" which makes sense if a little grammatically incorrect.

Zedsquared

Code gimp for the MCP
Aug 18, 2002
Bristol, UK
Visit site
>2k3 does not equal 2.3k

It does in electronics engineering (and maybe physics etc), the multiplier is used in place of the decimal point,
probably because the . might not show up on blueprints or bad photocopies copies of circuit diagrams which would lead to very bad mistakes if a resistor ended up being 23K Ohm when it should have been 2.3k Ohm.

A 4.7 Ohm value would be 4R7 (using an R cos O for Ohm would really confuse things as it could be a zero ) 2.3 meg would be represented as 2M3, a 2.3 microfarad capacitor would be 2u3 and so on (where u is a handy substitute for the greek 'mu' character ).

see the "Resistor shorthand" section of this page for an example...

http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/components/resist.htm

It's UT that's the newcomer abusing this naming convention IMHO ... sorry to be a heretic :D

... then again it might just cos I'm an old electronics engineer type, not worth fighting about anyhow, we all know what it means really ( .. . unless maybe epic have a secret time machine and really did spend a three hundred years developing the new engine and had to send it back to us... hmmm interesting :D )

Cheers,
Robin.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:lol:

Maybe it's because both 23k and k23 would be wrong...who knows lol!

since 2000 is 2 kilounits, you figure that by psychic supernatural powers 2k3 is just 2 kilounits plus 3! What's wrong with you old engineering types anyways...you know too much

;) :D :lol:

Swift Viper

How can one little post turn the whole thread into a different discussion :eek: ?

On topic: No one called the first Unreal, Unreal98 (or U98) after Unreal II came out and yes, I understand it did not have any kind of sports theme or anything.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Boards ?! WTF :con: !? If people talk about "boards" why don't you tell them to go back to playing chess or strategy games.

:stick:

FireWire

May 2, 2003
Visit site
rofl about the boards first time i hear that .. and you reminded me how long was since i play chess last time .. o well :)
I find even names like ut1 silly i just call them by their official names Unreal, UT, UT2k3 , Unreal2 (or U2).