(newbie) problem adding path node

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CodePig

Apr 22, 2003
hi all-

i'm trying to add a pathnode, but it is not working. the error in the log reads:

Code:
Cmd: ACTOR ADD CLASS=PathNode
Log: Attempting to add actor of class 'PathNode' to level at 1024.00,3072.00,0.00 (R=40.00xH=43.00)
Log: BeginTrans Add Actor
Cmd: TERRAIN SOFTDESELECT
Cmd: TERRAIN DESELECT
Log: Actor doesn't fit there (couldn't spawn it) -- make sure snap to grid isn't on

the map has many pathnodes (added a long time ago) already.

is 'snap to grid' the same as 'vertex snap'? if not, where is it?

tia,
codepig

Last edited:

inio

many fauceted scarlet emerald
Feb 8, 2002
CA, USA
www.inio.org
Haven't done much pathing for 2k3 yet, but I got this a bit back with UT and the solution is to make the node elsewhere and move it into the desired location. This message appears to happen when you try to place a pathnode in a space that's too small for it (which is larger than the minimum space the player can pass through). Be careful to make sure that paths actually get generated for the moved node as some times close quarters will cause the pather to think nodes are unreachable that actually are.

CodePig

Apr 22, 2003
i don't think the 'too small a space' is the problem. it doesn't seem to matter how much space is available. even in wide open areas i am unable to create. i did find a work-around though. i can copy and paste a new pathnode. i also noticed that i can't create/place player starts either. what a pain!

what's weird is that the map has lots of pathnodes that i placed a while back. i haven't found the 'snap to grid' option yet. is UDN the source for ued info, or is there a manual somewhere?

thanks,
codepig

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Snap to grid is the little square button down the bottom of the screen to the left of the Drawscale3D boxes. That's a really weird error though, snap to grid makes no difference at all when pathing since path nodes don't snap to grid in the first place.

CodePig

Apr 22, 2003
yeah, that's what i thought too. i'm really afraid my map is hosed somehow. i have tried rebuilding, saving, closing, and reopening, to no avail.

i just tested whether the map had anything to do with it. it doesn't. i created a new map and i tried to add a pathnode and playerstart... no luck. something is really hosed. i guess i'll have to reinstall.

codepig