Call of Duty tonight!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
LOL ... it was supposed to be another 'fileplanet'-exclusive, but it looks like Activision has 'given in' (altough I suspect they were simply looking for a way to get extra promotion for the thing).
Link : http://www.gamershell.com/news_bActivisionbsResponsetoO.shtml

Link for the game is kind of obvious ... http://www.callofduty.com/

-- edit --
I saw a video of that game (it was on the coverdisc for the Dutch PC-Zone). It looked like the boat-sequence from 'enemy at the gates' ...

Last edited by a moderator:

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Looks promising. I'm grabbing the demo from Gamespot. Hopefully the sites don't have conefire like AA. And hopefully without the sites, it is difficult to fire accurately. Biggest problem for me, is that it is another WW2 game. I'd like some variety in game themes. How about another earlier war for once? WW1 maybe?

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
WW1 would be boring. Artillary and shooting out of a trench while getting gased. So much fun. That was a really bloody war. Little glory to be found.

jaymian

Sweet Merciful Crap!
Jan 25, 2001
Haha, true I suppose. I just wanted something different. And besides, for a video game I'm sure they would try to make it fun;)

I played the demo for a bit. From what I can tell, you have pretty good aim with "hip shots". It uses a reticle system for hipped weapons, and seems pretty accurate for iron sites. I suppose I could check more on that, but the demo tosses you right into the fight. The game seems to move fast. And you can take a lot of damage. Although the sites are a welcome realistic change, that almost seems to be it. The environment is really nice. The maps have a lot going on to make you feel like you are in a battle. Stuff like anti aircraft tracers firing. The game has a lot of potential to be realistic, but not quite there. It is still too much like a typical shooter with health packs everywhere, and several shots until death. It does seem to reward staying with the team. When I started to run off by myself to flank the enemy possition with nades, I was quickly dispatched. Another thing the ame shares with most shooters in the amount of waepons and ammo you have. I started with like 12 grenades, a 1911, and assault rifle, and the thompson. And I guess I also had explosives for the main objective. Seems like a lot of stuff. I guess the majority of the gaming community still likes some realism with their arcade shooter. We'll see.

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
A_Rimmerlister said:
I saw a video of that game (it was on the coverdisc for the Dutch PC-Zone). It looked like the boat-sequence from 'enemy at the gates' ...
AFAIK it's mainly based on Enemy At Gates, like the original MOH was based on Saving Private Ryan and the expension on Band Of Brothers or whatever.

Sweep

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
Yep, this game is pretty freakin sweet IMO. Hipped accuracy is good, but only while not moving. Once moving you don't hit too much past point blank range. The iron sights are great, very accurate, no conefire crap that I can detect (I take it back, it does have some, specifically when shooting the pistol or SMGs, but they are still fairly accurate, it feels pretty good IMO). Graphics and effects and everything look really good to me. I especially like the grenade explosions, they seem very realistic (although I've never set off a nade IRL so...).

Only complaint is the damage you can take (I'm sure multiplayer will be better) and the amount of ammo/weapons you can carry. If you play on the hardest difficulty the damage is significantly better. As with MOH I bet during multiplayer you won't be able to carry more than one main gun... Should be totally killer online, makes MOH look/feel like the piece of crap it is.

Finally iron sights that work right, that aren't a pop up 2d sprite or something like most other games, yet manages to have the correct (or much closer at least) point of view for the aiming unlike INF.

Singleplayer is better than alot of games, but it's still fairly formulaic. Multiplayer is where this game will shine IMO.

Last edited:

Freon

Braaaaiinss...
Jan 27, 2002
France
www.3dfrags.com
ok just played it. It really looks and plays like MOH. And just like MOH it has the same problem: the "Virtua Cop syndrom"
You spend your time behind a wall, a window, or a door frame, shooting at bad guys in trenches or hole, and these guys keep respawning forever. always at the exact same spot. just keep your sight on that windows, wait for the evil german to appear. shoot. wait. shoot. wait. shoot. and so on. until the "counter" reached zero. then move on the next area. shoot. wait. shoot. wait.
sure it's well done, your mates shoot all the time, they die, and mysteriously, you're just as many at the end of the level as at the begining.
it gets old pretty quick :hmm:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Freon said:
AFAIK it's mainly based on Enemy At Gates, like the original MOH was based on Saving Private Ryan and the expension on Band Of Brothers or whatever.

wrong. It's based on all 3 campaigns; British Commandos, American Pathfinders and Russian Soldiers.

By the way, Enemy at the Gates was based on the book "War of the Rats", which is much more historically accurate. Vasily Zaitsev was a real person.

FieldMedic

Less good UT Player ever
Aug 30, 2001
I tried the demo
The SP mission is more immersive than Medal Of Honor SP , i found the AI to be really well scripted better than the scripted one of MOH , and the zones where a certain number of enemy respawn before going to next area are not disturbing , as the architecture of each of those area is not repetitive.
The developers made a good job , if the 23 other missions are up to this one in the fun and immersion, i will certainly buy it.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
my olny gripe are the god damn health packs everywhere, and the Germans don't throw grenades. This might be the 2nd level of the games so that might be why its easy. When I first started playing I had a big ol grin on my face. Its been a VERY long time since a game has done that. When I like is the AI sometimes acts in regard to saving thier own life. They kick grenades back at you, and when laying down cover fire, they go for cover. Very interesting game so far. Can't wait for the reviews of the finished project.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
- why bother with iron sights if there are regular crosshairs ???

- no running/sprinting at all ???

- just 1 way to each objective in this mission ...

- am I leading this squad or is the captain leading it ?

- no one throws any grenades ... or is this just one the 'greenhorn'-setting ???

+ teammates at least seem to search for cover etc in a relatively 'intelligent' manner

- I do hope they manage to link/introduce the missions better than this first one ...

- I can't tell my teammates anything ??? (like 'get out of my damned sights ... )

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
if you aim at your teammates and CLICk fire while the little green dude is there, they say 'OK' or "Righto" and find another spot.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
i played it on veteran (hardest) and beat it within 10 minutes. Waaay to easy.

It may have crosshairs, but they try to encourage you to use iron sights for greater accuracy and a zoomed-in view. Like America's Army.

I have seen the germans throw grenades, but not frequently. This is only a technology demonstration, not a teaser to get you to buy the game (ie: it isnt out yet), so the final game will have more control over your teammates.

Olethros

Functional alcoholic
I kinda liked it. Even though it's really just MOH with "iron sights." On the hardest difficulty settings I actually got killed a couple of times! But still the gameplay is really linear and repetitive. Perhaps this will be improved in the final product, but somehow I doubt it.

Word of advice to those who haven't tried it yet: Ditch the M1 Carbine and pick up a KAR.98 at the earliest possible opportunity. There will be plenty of them lying about, so ammo shortage is never a problem. Later in the level - depending on difficulty setting - you might even find the odd FG.42 to make life in the Wehrmacht even less fun. (No, that's not a spelling error for MG.42, but the SS paratrooper rifle from RTCW with full-auto capability.)