GDC 2002 Video!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Prophetus

Old Fart
Dec 4, 1999
...standing behind you...
Mark Rein sent us a email with a bit of goodies for all you Unreal fans. The GDC2002 video is a direct screen capture of a Matinee sequence Epic put together to show off the engine's capabilities. Although this is an old video, it was never released to the public, until now.

This sequence captured in this video was shown behind closed doors running real-time in the Unreal Engine at our GDC booth in March 2002. It had not been publicly released
prior to now. Matinee is a tool for making real-time cinematic sequences within the Unreal Editor. Matinee and other tools you can use to createsequences like this come with the PC version of Unreal Tournament 2003.

The purpose of releasing the video now is to provide a little inspiration
for the real-time non-interactive movie (i.e. Machinima) category of the
$1,000,000 NVIDIA Make Something Unreal Contest - click
here for more information. Entries for Phase II of the contest, the first phase to include this category, are due on October 20th. The actual UT2003 game contains also contains it's own example of real-time non-interactive movie making. In the UT2003 main menu
choose Single Player and then create a new profile to view the game's opening movie.

Some trivia about the video: There's a scene where a rocket hits the ceiling of the cave and the resulting falling debris causes a bridge to collapse in the middle. That particular sequence was done using Karma Physics such that, when we ran this sequence in real-time during GDC, the falling debris and resulting collapse and swinging of the bridge were slightly different every time we ran it.

To watch the video, click on this link (or the one above) and then click on "Media" to begin watching the film. Enjoy!

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
that tech demo reminds me of something.
In an old tech demo (about 6 months old or so) there was this demonstration of how rocket launchers and players can affect smoke, if they shoot or walk through it. Now i haven't really seen this in ut2k3 or unreal II, my question is what happened to it? Or do i need to set something up in order to make that work?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
have you seen any smoke just haning around in either game? I personally have not...

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
well smoke type effects, like fog, steam, stuff like that, sorry if that was a bit of a blur there, i'll go check it out Myr, but i've yet to see true steam move around as demonstrated in that tech demo, when i'm walking through it/shooting at it (I tested this in Asbestos near the flak area)

Mar 11, 2000
Oxford, UK
Works fine at that point for me, the smoke's a bit thin so it's difficult to see but you can definitely see it move. You mean the stuff coming out of the grate at the top of the stairs?

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
yeah from the little grate, do take in mind that the rocket launcher generates smoke aswell on impact so its hard to look at it decently, i suggest you use third person view then.
Isn't there another map where you can take a look at this effect at larger size or something? :p

Mar 11, 2000
Oxford, UK
You can see the rocket's smoke trail and the impact smoke separately from the grate smoke on impact though, and tell which is which. Use the ASMD if you want to remove extra smoke.

That's not such a good spot to test anyway because the smoke is so thin. I found a better place is in Mixer: go to the tunnel bit with the double damage and go down to the bottom level where the rocket launcher is. There are smoke generators up above and you can shoot through the right-hand one and off into the distance to negate the impact smoke (trail is still there but it's a different colour). You can see the smoke from the pipe being blown back up and out of the way :cool: