Open Letter on Call of Duty Demo

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
If you've been out and about on the gaming sites today, you've probably seen this open letter to Activision from the big gaming sites and file sites. The fuss is about Activision's deal with FilePlanet to host the Call of Duty demo exclusively. While Call of Duty isn't a demo we'd host here at BeyondUnreal, we ARE believers that files exclusive to one site or another ultimately hurts gamers. Following is the letter:
After failed discussions with Activision, the following websites will not be carrying the Call of Duty playable demo, even after its exclusivity is over. This is due to Activision's decision to not accede to the reasonable request of making demo freely available to all game enthusiasts at the same time.

3D Downloads
3D Gamers
Blue's News
FileFront
FileShack
Gamer's Hell
Tiscali Games
WorthPlaying

The above-listed websites hope to show Activision that the enthusiast industry is strongly opposed to the idea of exclusive demo releases.

Feedback from our users shows that gamers hate to be forced through a single point of congestion if they want a demo right away. While these websites are actually competitors, this competition provides the freedom of choice that enthusiasts want by offering the widest possible distribution of any demo (a sample intended to interest as many gamers as possible in the full product, after all) rather than the most restricted one.

Therefore, something this disrespectful of the industry as a whole has inspired all of these websites to stand together in this open letter.

Deals like this hurt the industry much more than they could possibly enhance a single relationship, and we ask for your support in sending out this message.

QAPete

Chief Muckety Muck
Aug 17, 1999
Pottstown, PA, USA
www.beyondunreal.com
Speaking of FilePlanet and GSI, is anyone here aware of the VAST list of jobs they have open in job-starved California? Check this out (from http://www.gamespyindustries.com/jobs/):

Programmers

* Senior Web Programmer - Engineering
* Web Programmer - Engineering

Product Development and Publishing

* Director, Product Development - Engineering
* Editor-In-Chief - Publishing
* Web Developer - Publishing
* Community Website Product Manager
* ID Manager (Product Manager)
* Game Server Admin Manager
* Product Program Manager
* Product Manager - Premium Services (New)
* Associate Product Manager - Competition and Tournaments (New)
* Project Manager - FilePlanet (New)

Information Technology

* Director of IT and Operations

Business Development and Services

* Client Services Manager
* Account Manager - Technology Licensing

Sales

* District Manager - East Coast/New York
* Account Representative - Inside Sales - San Francisco
* Account Representative - Inside Sales - New York City

Marketing

* Marketing Manager - Ad Sales
* Research Manager - Marketing
* Director of Direct Marketing

Corporate

* Human Resources Director

I don't know about you, but I'll read between the lines and say that there's something going on there at the Green and Black Castle...

Pete
-BeyondUnreal

Stryker8

Jan 26, 2000
erm, its already in order guys:

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/28109

The recent reaction to the upcoming Call of Duty demo has caught us here at Activision by surprise. We're appreciative and excited about of the high level of enthusiasm the game has received throughout the gaming community. Due to the tremendous demand for the demo we are answering the call by not only making the demo freely available to all gamers at the same time, but early This Friday Night - just in time for the long weekend.

Gamespy has been a great partner - working with us so that we can make our fans happy and give them a taste of a game they're clearly excited about. The demo will be available across the net on fan and gaming coverage sites, including GameSpy's FilePlanet.

We think you'll love Call of Duty, and we can't wait for you to play the demo.Look for it Friday night!

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
Won't play it, won't buy it.

Any form of exclusive deal is bad for the whole gaming scene. As has been said before, gamers want choice, and anything that denies them that won't be supported.

I'm appalled (but not surprised) that Activision never realised that this kind of deal would bring them massive ammounts of bad press. More evidence that game publishers are very out of touch with game communities.

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
sounds like nothing more than a shrewd marketing scheme to me. they never really planned to make this an exclusive download. this little drama did make sure the name of the game got in the news though.

I'm appalled (but not surprised) that Activision never realised that this kind of deal would bring them massive ammounts of bad press.
nah, i'm sure Activision is well aware of that. but bad news > no news, even for big boys like Activision.

SanitysEdge

Aspiring Astrophysicist
Just one more reason for me to hate gamespy.
Its to bad download sites are trying to be like gamespy, poor file font, ill miss you. [rant] WHY DID YOU HAVE TO HAVE LINES! no! TEH LINES! $$$ QUIT BEING GREEDY BASTARDS $$$! I also miss gamespot to, i used to love that site then they went into greed mode. Damn lines. DAMN THEM ALLL! [/rant] errrr..... come to think of it gamespy is a pretty good service. I signed up for the "Fast" Service but [more rant] i get better speeds on the public servers! WHY GAMESPY WHY? ARE YOU DUMB? MAKE THE FRIGGIIN' SERVERS THAT YOU HAvE TO PAY FOR FASTER![/more rant] alright, i guess im done. [last rant] WHY?!!?[/last rant]

lol, i just noticed something funny, this demo wont be hosted on 'worthplaying' so i guess its just not worth playing

Last edited: