UT2003 crash on some maps: Bad name index

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nappie

Aug 27, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
The subject may be specific enough, but just in case here is the problem:
UT2003 crashes on a number of maps. The error seems to be: "Bad name index" and then some numbers.

Specifically: CTF-Avaris is one of the maps that causes this. The behaviour is totally reproducable on the maps where it occurs, but on other maps there is no problem.

I'd be happy to post addititional info but you may have to point me to it. I have not played UT2003 that long (have plenty experience with UT).

The info I have right now: patch 2225 is installed, bright skins, debonus and epicbonus as well.
I am running WinXP pro (all "required patches" installed and latest DirectX) on an Athlon XP2500, 521MB ram, Asus A7N8X Deluxe mb, ATI 9700 Pro.

I am still using out-of-the-box video drivers (Catalyst 3.1) and have not flashed the latest BIOS update (currently using 1003 if I am not mistaken). I will be updating these shortly if that fixes it I will report back. In the mean time any other tips are appreciated.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Does it only happen on custom maps, such as Avaris? If so you are probably missing files or have a corrupt .ut2 file.

Nappie

Aug 27, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Sir_Brizz said:
Does it only happen on custom maps, such as Avaris? If so you are probably missing files or have a corrupt .ut2 file.
I would have to verify this (and I am currently not at the machine), but I think it is only on custom maps. Would reinstalling the bonus packs solve this? (think I tried that already)
If there are corrupt files, wouldn't that be strange? I simply installed all these bonus packs and did not anything special after that; I simply started playing. One bonus pack could not be unpacked (the 150MB one that is) so I downloaded it again and then it went fine. If no errors occurred during installation, how did my files get corrupted? Does that happen more often?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
IIRC Avaris isn't a bonus pack map. You would have to download it from one of the map sites around.

Nappie

Aug 27, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
It's not IIRC Avaris that I am talking about.

My problem is with CTF-Avaris. I checked, it's in the Epic bonus pack.
This contains the following maps (according to unrealtournament2003.com):
  • BR-Canyon
  • CTF-Avaris
  • CTF-DoubleDammage
  • DM-Rustatorium
  • DM-1on1-Crash
  • DM-1on1-Mixer
  • DM-IceTomb
  • DM-Injector
  • DM-IronDeity
  • DOM-Junkyard
Of these maps, Avaris, Injector, IronDeity and Junkyard don't work. I did not notice before but the errors are different:
  • CTF-Avaris: Bad name index -61/18778
  • DM-Injector: Bad import index 1118/239
  • DM-IronDeity: Assertion failed: InPos>=0 File:..\..\Core\Inc\FFileManagerWindows.h] [Line: 59]
  • DOM-Junkyard: Assertion failed: InPos<=Size [File:..\..\Core\Inc\FFileManagerWindows.h] [Line: 60]
Still have to check if it is only with maps from the Epic bonus pack.

I think I'll try reinstalling or something like that, I am getting the feeling that something went wrong during download or installation. Normally I would expect no problems if no errors were reported, but...

If reinstalling helps, I will let you know. In the mean time any tips are welcome.

Elric

Sep 1, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Just to advise - myself and my friend experience that problem on a regular basis. Sometimes it will take 3 or 4 and sometimes more re-starts of UT to get the map going at all. This happens in single play as well in network play over the internet. We don't get error messages - the whole program just up and quits. We just re-start and keep on trying.

There are some maps that I can't spawn on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd attempt in network play with him (he plays server - needs the ping <g>) - it can take 4 tries and maybe never get in but if I play it offline - no problem other than perhaps the crash of the program 1, 2, 3 or more times before the map decides to run.

My rig consists of a Power Mac G4 1.4GHz Dual processors, 512MB DDR Ram and a Nvidia GeForce Ti Pro with 128MB of DDR Ram. My buddie is using a stock 1GHz iMac with 17" screen. We both also are on DSL