NEW Vids from Gamespot - REVIEW

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TyeFang

Ambassador
Well, since im the only person I know who has a gamespot account, i thought id write up a review on what i just saw from there new subscriber-only videos.

First off, let me say ...after seeing these vids I can honestly say this is the first time ive had such a feeling of excitement about a game since UT.

The gameplay I saw in the videos is truly outstanding. There are two videos. A cliifyB interview and a detailed insight on Skaarj Space Station Assualt map.

The CliffyB interview:

CliffyB gives a very detailed interview of the new features of UT2004, much of which you have already heard from other reviews...but now there's more!

The video starts off with a kick ass assualt map. It reminds me of the train assualt map from UT, except now it looks like you are battling across two very large desert transports. The terrain and scenery while you ride on these transports greatly enhance the scene and battles. I got chills.

I saw the dual enforcers in action, the new UT sniper rifle (the puffs of smoke only slightly obscures your vision for like one second...the zoom is very clear and crisp) The mini-gun turrent (500 health) is cool. It was attached to the moving transpor/train, so im just guessing it would be used to protect from incoming raptors.

Next the video moves over to the map you guys saw in the famous raptor pic..with the greek architecture-like map (it looks even better). The vids shows cliffyb fly through the map in the raptor (300 health), leap from it to see it crash into some peeps, while firing the spider mine launcher in mid air...getting kills against both vehicles and enemy peeps. lol @ the multikills with the spider launcher...so frickin cool...That weapon owns!

Next we do some fly-throughs across some very cool looking maps.. There seems to be a significant change in approach to the maps. They all seem to have great flow...very smooth between areas of the map..with design elements and static meshes placed very intelligently to avoid disrupting gameplay.

I got to see the hellbender in action quite a bit...it has 600 health and moves very well. Its amazing to see it blazing through the map...it just kicks ass. They did not show the combo gun though :(

Cliff spoke of a new "pro-mo" tool for pro players to be able to set standards for competitive play, including standardized graphics settings for matches, etc. Also, there will be a enhanced demo player and demo manager. CliffyB also mentioned that there will be a bunch of new "solid and tight one-on-one maps" that they have been play testing thoroughly. They hope these will be used consistantly for cpl, etc.,

There will also be 100's of new static meshes, textures, music, and other goodies to make new levels and content. Cliffy menions that there will be an increased focus on support to the mod community. No breaking compatability carelessly.

The vid showed the new plasma rifle model (looks awesome) and showed how to heal vehicles (i think). The plasma had a orange beam...and i could be totally wrong and maybe this is some weird new weapon...but it looked like either the plasma or an ion painter.

The vid also showed the space flight battles of the assualt map where you attack the skaarj space station. I'll cover that more below:

Skaarj Space Station Assualt:

This video greatly details many aspacts of assualt, especially related to this new space battle map. There is an informative announcer to help guide peeps through the assualt objectives. It's not overbearing..and only quickly announces each objective and then shuts up. There are also slight visual clues to indicate target objectives, including a faint line that directs you while flying to objectives and a blue transparent target when you can see line-of-sight an objective you need to take out.

The skaarj space-map starts with the attackers outside spawning in space crafts. the space crafts have 100 health, and fire red Laser pulses for primary and rockets w/ red tracers for seconday (red team, i suppose). The objectives before being able to enter the space station on foot are to take out a lower shield generator and two upper shield generators.

Meanwhile, the skaarj defense are able to man turrents throughout the space station to fight off the attackers, and they can also board and fly their own version of a space craft (it flies slightly different and has different style of attack, at 100 health and fires blue laser pulses for primary and rockets with blue tracers for secondary (blue team). The turrents have 300 health.

Once the attackers have infiltrated the base, they must take out objectives inside on foot. Again i got to see the new dual assualt rifles, and the Goo and shock models.

in closing, he says the development is 80-85% done...

I was blown away by the gameplay i saw. I am shaking with anticipation for this game.

- Tye

Last edited:

Selerox

COR AD COR LOQVITVR
Nov 12, 1999
TheUKofGBandNI
selerox.deviantart.com
The future's bright, the future's an orange link gun...

TyeFang said:
the new UT sniper rifle (the puffs of smoke only slightly obscures your vision for like one second...the zoom is very clear and crisp)

I'm getting slightly worried that the sniper rifle will be overpowered, like the old one was. I'm hoping they'll done it down a lot for the final release.

TyeFang said:
Next we do some fly-throughs across some very cool looking maps.. There seems to be a significant change in approach to the maps. They all seem to have great flow...very smooth between areas of the map..with design elements and static meshes placed very intelligently to avoid disrupting gameplay.

Good to hear. Too many annoying static meshes and too many examples of style over content wrecked a lot of UT2003's maps. Nice to see they're going back to first principals on this.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
"the new UT sniper rifle (the puffs of smoke only slightly obscures your vision for like one second...the zoom is very clear and crisp)"

Translation: it's just as cheap and overpowered as ever.

:mad:

I'm hoping UT2K3 mods will work on this game. Since it's basically UT2K3 + a patch, I would think so. Right?

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I don't understand what you meant by this Cliff spoke of a new "pro-mo" tool for pro players to be able to set standards for competitive play, including standardized graphics settings for matches, etc.

I like private messages hint hint.

Juguard

The King Is Dead, Punk Rock Lives!
Nov 30, 1999
Tustin CA, USA
Visit site
OMG, The Sniper Rifle in UT2k4? Yeeeesss...

And if you think the Sniper Rifle in UT was overpowered, your wrong. Maybe you can't play against someone who is good with a sniper rifle. When I saw someone with a sniper rifle, I was happy because I could always get an easy frag. When I was with a sniper rifle, I was unstoppable. So its more on how good you are with it, or against it, its not overpowered.

If the new sniper rifle acts close to what it was in UT, I'm very happy, and I will buy the game the first day it hits the shelf. Or just preorder it.

Man, I want to see that video interview bad.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
CliffyB said: Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah ...
Buhahahahahahhahaaa...... Vehicles and gameplay...:rolleyes:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Nemephosis said:
"the new UT sniper rifle (the puffs of smoke only slightly obscures your vision for like one second...the zoom is very clear and crisp)"

Translation: it's just as cheap and overpowered as ever.

:mad:

I'm hoping UT2K3 mods will work on this game. Since it's basically UT2K3 + a patch, I would think so. Right?

You can't be serious. :confused:

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
I watched the Cliff interview last night, I must say I'm extremely impressed. The new sniper rifle model is kickass, the shock isn't however... that also goes for the new and improved link gun (Looks like something from Tribes).

I will buy this the day it comes out here, lets just fricken hope they get the world-wide distribution right this time around.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
Juguard said:
OMG, The Sniper Rifle in UT2k4? Yeeeesss...

And if you think the Sniper Rifle in UT was overpowered, your wrong. Maybe you can't play against someone who is good with a sniper rifle. When I saw someone with a sniper rifle, I was happy because I could always get an easy frag. When I was with a sniper rifle, I was unstoppable. So its more on how good you are with it, or against it, its not overpowered.

If the new sniper rifle acts close to what it was in UT, I'm very happy, and I will buy the game the first day it hits the shelf. Or just preorder it.

Man, I want to see that video interview bad.

I think your dead wrong. The sniper rifle was the most powerfull gun in the game. A headshot was a one hit kill and the sniper had such a fast rate of fire. If you have ever played against rev in ut1 then you would agree that without a doubt the sniper was overpowered. Rev would hit you in the head every time and if he missed the first time he'd get you the second time which came very quickly.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
hal said:
You can't be serious. :confused:
ohhhh I'm dead serious. It was way too powerful then and if all they added was some stupid "dust" then it will be too powerful now.

A slower rate of fire would be nice. THEN I would use it no problems. It fires too fast and does too much damage per hit as it was in UT. 66 for a body shot with a 0.8 second refire rate. TOO.... POWERFUL.....

The LtG has a 1.8 second refire rate.

Assuming "Turbo" values from UT (I only ever played turbo)

SNIPER RIFLE: 66 damage for body shots + 0.8 sec refire rate = 132 damage in 1.6 seconds.

LtG: 80 damage body shot + 1.8 sec refire rate

This is 132 damage with two shots in 1/5 a second SHORTER than it takes to refire the LtG. 132 damage in 1.6 seconds vs 80 damage in 1.8 seconds.

TOO POWERFUL.

Now if they kicked up the Sniper Rifle's refire time to something like 1.8 seconds, I'd have no problem with it.

Sparky

Retired Administrator
Dec 6, 1999
Australia
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm gonna be the first to jump in and say that you're dumb if you don't think Epic will nerf the sniper rifle. They left it out of 2k3 for a reason, I'm sure there will be more changes then simply adding the dust effect.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
It's an instant hit weapon. It's like the minigun, you can't run from it. I think this weapons should be nearly worthless without the scope. Make the accuracy go down when your moving and not on the scope.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
Nemephosis said:

NEME ASSUMPTION BASED ON NOTHING TyeFang ACTUALLY SAID: it's just as cheap and overpowered as ever.
I used to really enjoy chatting with you in IRC and reading your posts, but ever since ut2k3 came out, you've become little more than a troll.

c'mon man, stop bashing our stuff... I'm sorry you don't like anything after UT99... but some of us do.

/me hopes UT2k4 will have an impact hammer, just so Neme will have something to be happy about again ;)

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
I love UT2K3. I am worried they will be turning UT2K4 into another UT1.

Edit: IN fact, the return of the "Impact Hammer" would piss me off even more. If I wanted to play UT, I'D REINSTALL UT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
TWD said:
Someone actually have the stats for damage and fire rate on the sniper? This little puff a smoke won't make the difference between it being overpowered or not.

Yeah, by testing it. What I said is right. :p

If you want Classic stats as opposed to Hardcore and Turbo, I don't know those. I only ever played Turbo. Classic was "Wuss Mode" as far as I was concerned and too many servers ran wuss mode. :)