Beginning airsoft

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scythe

I'd rather die than give you control.
Jan 13, 2001
about 30ft behind you.
Visit site
alrighty I have some questions:

a) What is a good beginner gun for pretty cheep (us funds)
b) what is green gas and if it is just nitrogen or CO2 can I just refill off a different bottle?
C)which is better Paintballs or pellets?
d) what is hop up
e) anytyhing else you could tell me would be great

thanks- Jon

[UMC]Boron

UMC's Official Drunkard
Oct 10, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
in response to your questions...

a) the first and only gun I bought was a Tokyo Marui M16A2 (AEG - Automatic Electric Gun). So I would recommend that as it has high upgrade potential

b)green gas is a special gas that is used by gas blow back pistols. It is not CO2 or Nitrogen.

c)If I remember correctly, paintballs were pulled from the market of airsoft due to the fact that they jammed guns rather frequently, but im not sure. Go pellets, if you want paintballs, then play paintball. :p

What exactly are you in the market for? Are you looking for an electric gun or a spring gun or a gas blowback? Im sure if you specified what you're looking for, we could help you out a bit more :)

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
Scythe said:
alrighty I have some questions:

a) What is a good beginner gun for pretty cheep (us funds)
b) what is green gas and if it is just nitrogen or CO2 can I just refill off a different bottle?
C)which is better Paintballs or pellets?
d) what is hop up
e) anytyhing else you could tell me would be great

thanks- Jon

If your looking at an AEG ( Automatic Electric Gun, that's what you should be looking at ), buy any gun made by Tokyo Marui. They're ALL good ( forget the FAMAS and the Uzi though, FAMAS is a little old and the Uzi well, no upgrade potential, no aftermarket parts, etc ), there's only onefactors that affect those guns :

Barrel lenght, longuer is the barrel, more is precise the gun

b) GreenGas is not nitrogen nor CO2 ( Blackgas ? ). DO NOT START with a GBB ( Gas Blow Back, using gas instead of batteries ). Those are mostly backup weapons and will be useless for you on the field. Go with an AEG.

c) Paintball is only used in springer and don't shoot at people with them, they WILL be pissed. Nobody like to receive paint on their BDU. Excel .20g bb's are they way to go with a beginner stock gun.

d)hop up is a rubber piece that gives backspin to you pellet to get more range. If you adjust it carefully, you can get about twice the range of your gun without hop up.

e)
The Canadian Airsoft Newbie Guide

http://www.ascforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=7402

Dictionary/Glossary for Newbies

http://www.ascforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8776

FAQ

http://www.ascforums.com/viewforum.php?f=34

Anything that you can find. Read EVERYTHING. Forums, sites, etc.

www.arniesairsoft.co.uk ( good news site )

PM me if you have more specific questions

DooMfreak

Feb 16, 2001
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If you are going to be playing outside you will definately want a fair sized AEG.

The TM M16A2 is a very rugged design, but it suffers from severe barrel wobble and the pins in the reciever fall out pretty easily. In fact I lost both of the receiver pins in the same day and my receiver kept lifting off leaving my BBs falling out the sides of the gun :( . If you want to go for that type of design I'd recommend the Knight's SR-16. It is very solid, has a full buttstock (space for a large battery) and comes with all the RIS rails you will ever need. Personally I perfer the flip up sight over the standard M4/M16 sight. It is more on the expensive side, but if you plan on putting more money into your AEG I think it is a good choice.

Here's a review I found, has some good pictures.

http://www.planetairsoft.net/sr16.htm

If you want something cheap but solid, I'd say go for the FA MAS. *shhhh* Being Tokyo Marui's first AEG - it's old and kind of plasticy, but it sports a great rate of fire, has good accuracy (thanks to the bullpup) design, and can take some upgrades if you hunt around for them. The F1 also comes with a bipod, which I think is a good value if you plan to use it.

One last AEG recommendation that I'd have to make (for a mid-priced AEG) is the AK-47. I haven't had the chance to actually use one, but from what I've heard they are rock solid, have a great gear box, and there are quite a few upgrades available for it. It also has one of the largest high capacity magazines for it (600 rounds).

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
I would definitively pick up the AK-47 before the FAMAS but if you can afford an SR-16, get it. One of my buddy has one and if I would start airsoft again, thats the gun I would get.

LieLestoSbrat

Can You Count? Sucka's
I quite like my Tokyo Mauri (TM) P90, nice gun, and easy to handle. Had no problems with it. Other than I can't really give you any other adive other than I protection and maybe even full face protection. Reason for this was one of my mates got his tooth chiped really bad in a airsoft game, and that was with a of the shelf KWC Springer colt 1911 pistol at about 10m.

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
THEY.ARE.ALL.THE.SAME.

read my first post. I own a MP5SD5, they're all good. I would get the A4 or SD5 for the battery compartment ( in the stock ). Else you're stuck with mini batteries. There's dozen of newbie guide out there, read them.

Sweep

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
As was said you want an AEG. If you can't afford it, save longer, simple as that. Now, which AEG to get is the question...

Recently picked up a TM Colt M733 (similar to an M4) myself, really happy with it. I've had the occasion to use several of the TM guns in matches before as well, a MP5 (A4 and A5), a Sig 550, a P90, a SR16, and a Famas. I personally prefer the size and ergonomics of the Colt series stuff. Something like a M4/M733 offers the best tradeoff in weight, barrel length, overall length, etc IMO of course. The MP5 is a great choice as well. Guts of all the guns are for the most part identical other than inner barrel length and which battery size they can accomodate, couple other differences here and there that aren't too important. Only gun I didn't care for was the P90 BTW, doesn't feel right, maybe if I used it more and got used to it...

I don't factor in things like hi-capacity magazine size and such since I feel those are the lamest crap ever. The whole idea of airsoft is realism, some 250-600+ round magazine completely defeats the purpose. An MP5 should not serve the role of a freakin belt fed SAW for crying out loud... The standard mags already hold too many rounds as is. In our group we do not allow the use of hicaps during any games... Reloading is half the fun...

My M733:

Attachments

• M733Commando.jpg
    M733Commando.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
I couldn't agree more Sweep. Couldn't agree more. I only use low-caps too and the new mid-caps really deceives me, all the power of a hi-cap in a spring loaded magazine. I think that 50 bbs would be about the same as 30 bullets since they don't have as much precison and penetration ( stopped,deflected by bushes ). You really can't use it as firepower. The power of a LMG on the battlefield is really incredible, it really gives a big advantage to the team that has it. On that note, look at that squad :

Merc%20Team1.jpg

Talk about firepower...

Quze

ever hopeful
Apr 8, 2002
London UK
Visit site
Scythe, 3 rules for buying a new AEG
1) Don't you dare get something which people are telling you is good, but which you don't like the look of.
2) Don't you dare get something which people are telling you is good, but which you don't like the look of.
3) Think about the type of games you will be playing (ie urban, woodland...) and choose a gun accordingly. The usage of M16's indoors accounts for 99% of "fux0red barrel syndrome" ;)

Don't forget: Get something which you like the look of.

If you're going for an AEG, Tokyo Marui is the manufacturer to go for. Although other makes like Classic Army and ICS include features such as metal bodies and 300+ fps as standard, untill very recently their build quality has left something to be desired.

Check out
http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/beta/html/
http://squadx.ukairsoft.net/index.php
Complete newbie Airsoft FAQ - http://www.airsoftohio.com/phpBB/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=47

Last edited: