Do you use windows update?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Do you and for what purpose use windows update?

• Yes, I use it whenever I can.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Yes, but only for emergency updates.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • No, but I have alternative update sources.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • No, my computer works, and it stays that way.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • -I dont use Windows-

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I only use Corporate Windows Update. It lets you download patches and install them manually. It also gives you a lot more patches that are not available to normal users.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
No vote from me. If I bother (At home I simply don't need most of the updates, including the RPC bugfix), manual download. I only use windows update at work sometimes if I re-install a laptop after I installed the newest servicepack.

ravens_hawk

Apr 20, 2002
Visit site
I only run windows update when I have to do a fresh install, like I just did when my MB failed, so I got all the updates. Hence the worm did not touch me. Other than that I run it when my computer has serous flaws and it might help, which it rarely does.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Feb 26, 2001
England
I use the autoupdate all the time, so far it hasnt caused me any problems at all. Its mainly security updates and stuff like that.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
It gives you a false sense of security. All i need is Netstat, or X-Netstat (can kill open connections), and a weekly (not heuristic) virus scan. Hell, firewalls are kind of like airbags, in the way that they kill more people than they save.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I use windows update quite often. It makes automated upgrades of multiple machines quite simple - just que them up and let em' run. I also use it when getting my friends' machines patched whenever they don't know what to do. Sometimes it has issues (like the blaster problem where if you installed multiple updates, one may overwrite the worm hole fix - all you need to do is just download the patch and install it afterwards, though), but overall it's usefulness outweighs those issues.

Derelan: So you are saying you sit there watching all connections whenever you are online? I'm hoping you are on dialup - you must not have much of a social life if you are a constant connection to the 'net, monitoring it 24/7 for evil cracker traffikkk.

Firewalls are not like airbags. They are a supplement to the whole of security. They aren't meant to be standalone countermeasures - it takes good security practice as well as a firewall and other things to ensure security. Plus, it helps if you properly configure it. :)

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
When it comes down to it a manual update is just as likely to be corrupt as the one you download from Windows-update. Besides : who says the virusscanner is up to date even *if* you've got the latest patch ?
Or are you so paranoid that you use virus-checks on the virus-scanner as well ?

I use it for the 'small' essential updates so I don't have to try to search through the MS-site for the itty bitty patch I might need.

I don't use it for DirectX or that godawful .NET-stuff.

The one thing I don't trust it for is for servicepacks ... if it's that big then I prefer to find a location where I can get the fastest download-speed possible.

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
well, twice i have downloaded SP1 and twice it has truly fudged up my system (registry changes dont take effect), so i'm staying away from that. And no, I dont monitor netstat 24/7, I only use it when i suspect odd activity on my PC. If i have a trojan, and its not really doing anything, then either my virus scanner will find it later, or it doesnt harm me at all.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Relying on technology like that is a bad thing, but eh, it's your data. Virus scanners don't always catch these things.

Redundancy is the key to protection. Why wear a flame retardant vest when you can wear a flame retardant vest and a bullet proof vest? :)

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
People who say you should not update a working system are exactly the kind of foolish people who got the Worm. Only truly stupid people do not keep up to date with security patches.

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp?corporate=true

This is what you should use. Its the corporate version of Windows Update. Nothing is automatic. You specify your OS and it shows you all the patches available. You download each patch and install it yourself, and keep track of what you installed yourself. And you get a lot more options. Did you know there are 44 critical security patches for XP SP1? Probably not, since only about half of those fixes are available on normal Windows Update.

Derelan, never install a patch for the service packs that MS releases. They are always trouble. Make an updated install CD that has the service pack updates already on it. Then you install Windows XP SP1 from scratch, instead of installing XP retail and patching it to SP1.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I usually don't update because I'm too damn lazy. I didn't ever get a virus either though, except the ones I downloaded myself to find out how dangerous they really are :)

It doesn't seem like too much work though, so I might be doing just that, rogue.

Hadmar

Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
RogueLeader said:
People who say you should not update a working system are exactly the kind of foolish people who got the Worm. Only truly stupid people do not keep up to date with security patches.
http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/gmax_alert.html
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-071.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS02-061.asp
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-013.asp
(I stop here. I realy have better things to do then searching for all the fucked up patches MS released.)

Some of these foolish stupid people actualy know what the fuck they are talking about. It's realy bad for companys that run 3rd party software - "I'm sorry I have to tell you our software dosn't support servicepack x" - which basicaly means: If you run into any kind of trouble, no matter if SP related or not, you are fucked.

Now I don't say don't install patches but there's more to 'never touch a running system' then foolish and stupid people.

Last edited:

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
i am now aware that there are XP 8-1 cds that include service packs, etc. But again, i really truly dont need the XP service pack.

And yes, I do update my system, almost every time there is an update, but i never ever use windows update. I get my nvidia drivers from nvidia.com, I get my via drivers from via's site, etc.

If i happen to download a harddrive killer that has been compressed with UPX so my virus scanner doesnt catch it, well then i guess no patch or update ever will catch that will it?

I admit, i got the blaster worm because i didnt use windows update, but all i had to do was stop the rebooting and fix it myself. It didnt do any damage, and so far, no damage has ever been done by a virus to my computer because i never downloaded "windows xp downloader.exe (50kb)" or something stupid like that.