How can Assault mode be improved for UT2k4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
How should Assault in UT2k4 be different/improved from the UT verison? There were a lot of things people did not like about Assault and I'm not sure if it was played very much.

One thing I did not like about Assault is launching (mostly on Overlord) and I'll give my reason why before someone calls me a newbie or something. Think about it, what is the point in taking over the base so fast that your almost not even playing the game? What is the point in taking over the base in under 20 seconds and spend most of the time watching the ending and loading screens? To me that is NOT fun, if your almost not even playing the game. The whole point of a game is to have fun and again, if your not really playing the game, what is the point? Anyone agree on that or not? Another thing I hate was turrets, the other team IMO already has enough support, the players. Plus turrets can't be destoryed (only stopped for a ilttle while by taking a lot of damage). I also don't like the long run before getting back into the action, it took too long to get back into the action on maps like Overlord. Note that this is all of my opinion of what I did not like about Assault.

As for my ideas for improving Assault, why not do some of the things the Assault Mod did for UT2k3, like hacking into stuff that took a few seconds? Maybe a option to turn turrets on or off, and make it quicker to get into the action.

I know we won't know what Assault will be like in UT2k4, but this is the Unreal Tournament 2003-2004 Discussion Board. Please, no flames, post what you did not like about Assault and what you think can be improved.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
Good question.
What I and many dedicated UTAS players though could be done is in the current mod, i.e. timed objectives and comming in 1.0 is second parts starting without maps reloading.

What Epic is doing, putting vehicles and making more than one round (1 round = 2 parts) is just gonna ruin AS.
Assault is all about taking enemy territory on foot. Vehicles will ruin that feeling, and create a new feeling, that will IMO be negative.

But, I still can't see how Assault can be as popular as it used to be.
UT2004 will be just a silly attempt by Epic to turn UT200x into a popular game as UT once was.

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Swift Viper said:
One thing I did not like about Assault is launching (mostly on Overlord) and I'll give my reason why before someone calls me a newbie or something. Think about it, what is the point in taking over the base so fast that your almost not even playing the game? What is the point in taking over the base in under 20 seconds and spend most of the time watching the ending and loading screens? To me that is NOT fun, if your almost not even playing the game. The whole point of a game is to have fun and again, if your not really playing the game, what is the point? Anyone agree on that or not? Another thing I hate was turrets, the other team IMO already has enough support, the players. Plus turrets can't be destoryed (only stopped for a ilttle while by taking a lot of damage). I also don't like the long run before getting back into the action, it took too long to get back into the action on maps like Overlord. Note that this is all of my opinion of what I did not like about Assault.

You're not a newbie cause you don't like launching. I've played a couple of times on league assault servers and tbh it was boring. Boring as hell. Nothing but launching, completing the levels in a matter of no time.
Except this one time in frigate, where I was able to stop the ship from being taken over (and I got insulted for that)

:D pfff.. haha

I play assault the hard way. No launching. It's too quick.
And launching wouldn't work that well on levels such as as-coldsteelII (or is it colder steel)

But most assault levels suffer from not being balanced. Either the defending or attacking team has too many dis/advantages.
That's one thing that has to be taken care off in the new assault.
And no weapon that can possibly be used for launching.

Turrets.. tell me about it. Some levels suffer from too damn many turrets (especially the coldsteel levels)
Ok, turrets aren't always bad. But you have to use them in sparely (?) Not too many at a time. Having turrets firing at you almost through the entire level is horrible, kills the level :-/

Want a perfect example on using way too many turrets? (and placing them at retarded locatioins)
Download as-wildstreets.

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
Doc_EDo said:
What Epic is doing, putting vehicles and making more than one round (1 round = 2 parts) is just gonna ruin AS.
Assault is all about taking enemy territory on foot. Vehicles will ruin that feeling, and create a new feeling, that will IMO be negative.

But, I still can't see how Assault can be as popular as it used to be.
UT2004 will be just a silly attempt by Epic to turn UT200x into a popular game as UT once was.
Or maybe they are trying to attract a different crowd that UT2k3 was made for. A lot of people don't like (or get bored fast) of DM/CTF. I know I can't stand it and it's why I never bought UT2k3. My gaming taste had simply changed since UT. However UT2k4 seems like a game I could like.

And big objective based map with vehicles and UT style weapon with the improvment that UT2k3 had could be great IMO.

As for launching and all that, I've played most of my UTAS offline and that's the way I liked it. No 1337 kids that can finish the map in 10 seconds because they "play" 100 hour a week. I want to see teamwork when I get online, not a group of 2 or 3 players that can finish a map in 10 seconds.

A "new feeling" won't be negative, it'll just be different. I really tought you guys were over the 'new=bad' thing ;)

Swift Viper

NeoNite said:
You're not a newbie cause you don't like launching. I've played a couple of times on league assault servers and tbh it was boring. Boring as hell. Nothing but launching, completing the levels in a matter of no time.
Except this one time in frigate, where I was able to stop the ship from being taken over (and I got insulted for that)

:D pfff.. haha

I play assault the hard way. No launching. It's too quick.
And launching wouldn't work that well on levels such as as-coldsteelII (or is it colder steel)

But most assault levels suffer from not being balanced. Either the defending or attacking team has too many dis/advantages.
That's one thing that has to be taken care off in the new assault.
And no weapon that can possibly be used for launching.

Turrets.. tell me about it. Some levels suffer from too damn many turrets (especially the coldsteel levels)
Ok, turrets aren't always bad. But you have to use them in sparely (?) Not too many at a time. Having turrets firing at you almost through the entire level is horrible, kills the level :-/

Want a perfect example on using way too many turrets? (and placing them at retarded locatioins)
Download as-wildstreets.
Launching as you said is just boring. It almost ruins the point, if I wanted to I could use a grapple hook and finish most levels in almost no time at all, I might as well take over the base with no bots. The people got mad at you for stopping the base from getting taken over and for playing the way your suppose too :rolleyes: :tdown: ? Good thing I was not with those kind of people, but I was on a server where people got mad at me for messing up launches and stuff. As for turrets, I guess they could be ok if there was only one or two, but when you have no real way of dodging it, that is when I get mad. They should have less "health", maybe get destoryed and never come back and maybe tone down their power. On AS-Guardia, that turret that shoots shock balls is way too powerful and I think it can kill you in two hits, plus it attacks you from the whole room.
On AS-Underground (or AS-UndergroundAssault), the turrets were really bad, one of them shoots redeemer warheads in a small room and at a high rate of fire. There were also a lot of other things wrong with the level. What was the mapper thinking :rant: ? I'll try out AS-Wildstreets to see the awful turrets.

Edit: The pros get mad at "cheap" tricks like camping and spamming, but launching is not cheap to them :lol: ? Launching bypasses most of the challege (sp?) of getting pass the other team and finishes a level much quicker then playing the "right" way. I would like to hear one good reason in launching (other then winning).

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
I think it's not that hard to dodge the first turret in guardia.
You just need to time it. You can avoid being hit most of the times...
Or let the bots take the first hits :D they'll shoot the turret, it'll return to it's previous state and then you can walk through without getting hit.

guardia=spam.

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Doc_EDo said:

I hate to say it, but I think you're right.

Despite the fact that i've not played UT99 all that much, I know that it was extremely popular.

And I think that UT2k4 is gonna fall flat on it's face.

Why?

1) It's gonna take a pricey rig to run it (just like 2k3), and nobody is gonna spend the money (because the casual gamer doesn't have or is not willing to spend the money). Sure you've got the fundamental fan base, and half those people will get the 'processors' and the 'cards' but the rest won't.

2) My guess is that Epic will tweek 2k4 with endless patches and fiddle with weapons to please everyone, just like 2k3. Frankly, that gets to be a pain in the butt. And now they've got vehicles to fiddle with.......it's gonna be "this one is too fast/slow", "this one does/doesn't take too much/enough damage"...etc, etc.

3) New bloods (if they show up) are gonna quickly get beat down in the pubs (NW), they'll bail out...either all together or move to IG (and why do that when you can play 2k3 IG)

But.....I can always hope that I'm wrong.

I want full pubs.
I want good games.
I want UT2k4 to succeed.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
EvilDrWong said:
EDo, are you still bitter that they cloned your mod?
I guess that's easy to assume whenever I comment on ut2k4. If it was so I'd be cursing not giving solid agruments. But, it's their gametype. What I was pissed about is that they said "assault never again" and that made us decide to make it. They saw us remaking it. They could have said something like "don't mod it it will be back". But just a week or so after we released our beta they announced it's gonna be in ut2k4. Looks like they saw the mod and decided to ripp off the improvements we made, i.e. new objective types.

The FACT is that assault should have been in ut2k3 from beginning instead of lame gametypes that noone plays. Now it's little too late.
I'm one of the huge fans of AS but even I have had it with Epic.

Dead_Hood

The Seventh Sign
Apr 24, 2001
123 Fake Street
[2cents]
My first suggestion is spawning, Especially for the defending team. The assaulting team usually spawns in a room that only has one way out, but the defending teams have spawning across the entire level, and can usually camp the attacking teams spawn points (see AS-Guardia for the most obvious example; also OceanFloor, Overlord, and Rook). IMO, there should be closed off spawn rooms as in most of the custom AS maps. That way spawn camping can't happen, or at least not as easily.
I also think that combining the time-based objectives (stand here for 3 seconds, etc.) with the classic 'blow this up' objectives would be nice. Just walking up to a button and pressing it could also be added on certain objectives. That would make some objectives a little easier, and some alot harder. I also think there need to be multiple paths to each objective. In most of the AS maps that shipped with UT99, there was only 1 path to the objective, which made for some boring games. In later custom maps, there were multiple paths, but they were quite easy to defend, defeating the purpose. The last thing I can think of is objective completion. I think that you should have to complete all the objectives in order to beat the level. In the cases of AS-Rook, AS-Overlord, and AS-Mazon, you didn't have to do that. All you had to was beat the final objective and the game was won. If they are going to give us objective-based games, all the objectives should have to be met.
[/2cents]

Swift Viper

Dead_Hood said:
[2cents]
My first suggestion is spawning, Especially for the defending team. The assaulting team usually spawns in a room that only has one way out, but the defending teams have spawning across the entire level, and can usually camp the attacking teams spawn points (see AS-Guardia for the most obvious example; also OceanFloor, Overlord, and Rook). IMO, there should be closed off spawn rooms as in most of the custom AS maps. That way spawn camping can't happen, or at least not as easily.
I also think that combining the time-based objectives (stand here for 3 seconds, etc.) with the classic 'blow this up' objectives would be nice. Just walking up to a button and pressing it could also be added on certain objectives. That would make some objectives a little easier, and some alot harder. I also think there need to be multiple paths to each objective. In most of the AS maps that shipped with UT99, there was only 1 path to the objective, which made for some boring games. In later custom maps, there were multiple paths, but they were quite easy to defend, defeating the purpose. The last thing I can think of is objective completion. I think that you should have to complete all the objectives in order to beat the level. In the cases of AS-Rook, AS-Overlord, and AS-Mazon, you didn't have to do that. All you had to was beat the final objective and the game was won. If they are going to give us objective-based games, all the objectives should have to be met.
[/2cents]
Actually, in AS-Mazon, if you launch into the base and destory the crystal, you still have to destory the chains. [edit]You can actually impact launch into the upper level from outside by yourself.[/edit] Epic should do what was done in the custom maps like you said, add more then one way to get to the objective (so it is harder to guard) and spawn rooms that you can't enter once you leave. Then again, UT2k3 already has some respawn protection that wears off after a few seconds or after attacking. You still can win on Overload right from the beach by launching. As of now (In UT normal maps), people can launch and finish the maps quickly, there is only one way to get to the objective, camping the respawn rooms is easy and other stuff.

Last edited:

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
The trick in making nice mapps is to give players space to jump and launch, BUT still prevent them from skipping objectives.

EvilDrWong

Every line of code elevates you
Jun 16, 2001
Inside the machine
Visit site
Doc_EDo said:
The FACT is that assault should have been in ut2k3 from beginning instead of lame gametypes that noone plays. Now it's little too late.

I'm one of the huge fans of AS but even I have had it with Epic.

No, assault shouldnt have been in ut2k3. Assault shouldnt even be in 2k4. Its not as big a deal as the few vocal fans were making it out to be. Assault was great fun in a botmatch, but otherwise is was pretty damn forgettable. The maps were over far too quick, half the time the odds were sorely stacked against a team, purely because of imbalances in the levels themselves (and isnt balance the important buzz word when it comes to FPS's anyway?) Assault "2004" will end up being one of those so called "lame gametypes that noone plays" AGAIN, as it did before. They dropped it cause it was a pain in the ass and there wasnt much interest.
The last comment is pure gold though, EDo. Of course, to the untrained eye it would appear that you are ... angry that theyre doing what you want? But we both know its not like that. Youre angry because, even without seeing it in action, you know itll fail miserably without a doubt. EPIC = SUX, yeah?

The Trasher

/\ /\ \/ \/ < > < > B A START
Edo, the phrase "LET IT GO" comes to mind. I'm personally more interested in Onslaught myself, as it's a sensible merging of UT2k3's CTF, UT's Assault, and the recent popularity of BF1942. It should be fun, and I will happily play it, while you perform the online equivelant of sulking in a corner.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Rev.Whoopass said:
best way to improve Assault is to not spend the time making it,and spend more time making good CTF maps.

Agreed. All this talk about new game modes and vehicles, etc. worries me that CTF is getting ignored and will be much of an after thought.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
There's no reason not to demand both good CTF maps and a nifty new gametype :)

Assault just needed to be refined. ROTW has done the concept anew. There's lessons to be learned from mods and games that's happened since then. AS was just a bit a head of it's time to know what would really work in the long term. They don't have that excuse now.

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
I well would you think a mappack with just new map for existing gametype would sell? Only fanboys would buy it and the number of player would never increase. Actually, the fanboy would just bitch for 6 months because Epic became greedy and they're not giving them away for free :lol:
Don't worry, you'll get plenty of CTF maps.

It's pointless to judge it before it's out (and also off the topic of this thread when it's still had one).