Monitor: Screen resizes slightly when a lot of white is displayed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I got the replacement monitor from AOC today, and hooked it up. Works fine, but it's doing something odd... Whenever I display a window with a lot of white, the screen shrinks a little bit. Whenever I swith to something with a dark background, the screen grows back. Really odd.

I'm running 1280x1024@85hz. It doesn't really bother me that it does it, but I'm hoping that it isn't something serious. I already replaced the sucker once.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I know exactly what you mean. It is normal dude. I see it on a lot of monitors no matter if they're brand new or used. It happens more on some monitors than others. I guess the cheaper and lower quality the monitor is the more it will do it. But yea I've had at least 3 monitors that did that. The cheap one(MAG) did it a lot more than my others.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
It's becouse of poor high-voltage regulation and the effect is called pumping (if the translation is correct that is).

Mychaeel

Thrash123 said:
Mychaeel: Eh, it's not really an older CRT :)

As long as it's a CRT it's quite irrelevant whether it's an older or a newer one. I just said that I have seen it on older CRT monitors (as opposed to my trusty Samsung SyncMaster 700p that has been serving me well for those past six years). I never implied that it's an effect that can only ever be seen on older monitors.

Now, if you were telling me you're getting this effect on a TFT monitor I'd be surprised, but I take it you're seeing this effect on a CRT yourself.

DeDpoet|BuF

Only this, & nothing more...
Dec 6, 2001
Mularn
Visit site
all's i can offer:

>make sure you have the correct & updated monitor/adapter drivers.
>Try a lower refresh and/or lower res.
>Make sure you have a ferrite core-shielded monitor cable
>remove power sources/adapters that are near your monitor (or magnetic items)
>try recycling or repositioning where your monitor power cord is plugged in.
>check your monitor power & data cord - are they running by any source that could possibly be introducing interference?

every one of these situations listed above, I ran into before where it made some difference in CRT monitor display (either at work or home). Also, checking support forums specific to your make & model would be helpful. Sometimes you'll find it's a result of design as opposed to malfunction.

hope this helps!

Mychaeel

Hmm... my trusty 17" CRT monitor (Samsung, see above) runs constantly at 1024x768 and a refresh rate of 100 Hz, yet doesn't show that effect even under close scrutiny.

Maybe I just made a lucky choice six years ago. :)

For that matter, this monitor is one of the very few parts in my computer that I haven't replaced since I initially built it more than six years ago. (The other component that has stuck since that time is the 3.5" floppy drive. Literally everything else has been replaced one or several times in favor of more capable components over time.)

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Hadmar said:
It's becouse of poor high-voltage regulation and the effect is called pumping (if the translation is correct that is).

White draws more current. Crappy power supply can't supply the current, so voltage drops. Lower voltage makes the screen shrink.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
it just has to warm up a bit, that's all. I don't think it has anything to do with voltage imho. My 21" Sony Trinitron does the white thing when you first boot up, but doesn't do it after it's been on for a while.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Deadpool: Umm, no. It's been on ever since I got it :) So warming up isn't an issue.

The brightness also goes down slightly whenever there is a lot of white displayed. Not a big deal really, I'll live, and I doubt anybody else will notice it at college.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Hah, I see mine does that a little. I never noticed that until now. Hardly much of a bother... you wouldn't notice it unless you looked for it.