Dual booting Win2k and XP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Ok, my mother wants her XP machine to dual-boot 2k (she does software tech support and she needs to be able to test stuff on 2k and XP both). It has XP preinstalled, and we can't re-install it. What I was planning on doing was this:

1) Unplug XP HD
2) Plug in new HD for 2k
3) Install 2k
4) Partition the 2k HD for the XOSL bootloader
5) Hook up the XP HD
6) Install XOSL

Would this work? I have never done a multi-windows OS-boot before (I have done multiple Linuxes and one Windows, multiple BSDs and Windows, and a bunch of obscure OSes). Is there any easier way to do this? Would there be any issues with this type of setup?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
It should work. I once used NT / 98SE like that but I fear I can't help you with details as 'once' is like 2 or 3 years ago.

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
You can do it a lot easier then that. Just plug in the new HD(or resize and create a partition on the first HD). Then just install W2K on the second HD(or on the new partition) and W2K will install a boot loader itself so you can choose to boot XP or W2K. There is no need to install some 3rd party boot loader for this at all.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Blorgg: Yeah, I had thought about that, but I was worried because it's always been my understanding that you should ALWAYS install windows OSes in order of release dates. I never really invested much time into the Windows bootloaders, considering I never dual boot windows and I like using XOSL. However my mother has no preference, and she won't be changing the OSes installed it as much as I do, so I guess using the Windows bootloaders would work fine. However, I did some reading, and didn't see anything really covering what you just said as working (although it was just a quick google scan).

I just want to make sure because if somehow my XP install gets corrupted or overwritten, there is NO way to restore it, considering we don't even have recovery disks for it.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Ok, glad I did some more reading on your method Blorgg.

I first had to backup my NTLDR and NTDetect.com, otherwise I would never be able to boot into XP again :) Anyways, after the install, you will need to boot into 2k, and then copy the 2 files into C:\ (or wherever XP is installed), overwriting the current ones (They get modified in the 2k install). You may also have to add an entry to the boot.ini file for XP (I didn't).

So, it's all working. Thanks, sort of :)

Lizard Of Oz

Demented Avenger
Oct 25, 1998
In a cave & grooving with a Pict
www.nsa.gov
The best way to do it. (IMHO)

http://www.computerplug.com/access_removable1.htm#R-RH06

RH06F.jpg

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Thrash123 said:
It has XP preinstalled, and we can't re-install it. What I was planning on doing was this.
I can't believe companies still ship machines without the OS on a CD. :nag:

If you have your CD-key for XP (which you should... if not, there are utilities you can download that will let you view it, google it), and have exhausted every other option, I suppose you could borrow a friend's XP CD and install it using your CD-key, or even 'obtain' the ISO from somewhere and install it with your CD-key. As long as you use your valid CD-key, you should be OK.

It's best to install Win2k, then WinXP. WinXP should detect its little brother in residence and let you switch between the two at boot-up. As for stopping the two from stepping on each others toes, when you first install Win2k, only format half your drive and install Win2k on that partition, leaving the other half unformatted. Then create a new partition on the unpartitioned half, and install WinXP on it. That way no system-critical files will be overwritten, because as far as Windows is concerned, they'll be on two different drives.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Well then get rid of it and clean the town from the evil that is XP! You'd be a hero! :D

SinShiva

Adrian
Apr 1, 2002
wow, if ur the last one with XP there, do just what hadmar says or atleast upgrade to professional

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
And even if it wasn't, there's not really big difference between the two.

But if I were you I'd really look for a way to make a backup of your XP installation if your mother really needs it. You could just buy a 4GB second hand HD and make a backup on that and then put that away for safe keeping. Ow, and test the backup before you put it away ;)