PDA

View Full Version : Musicians

Thrash123
11th Aug 2003, 02:50 AM
I have been listening to my old recordings from my first and second albums... The sound quality sucks, the songwriting isn't anything special, etc etc, in reality I should be hating it.

Quite the contrary, however, as I can't stop listening. Every time I sit down and listen to my old stuff (well, 2 years old), I can't help but love it. Everything just feels so right to me... My first album I recorded using Cooledit 1.2, the synths and drums were done in Modplug tracker (and a sparse collection of samples and no VST effects), distortion and EQ was done in cooledit, and guitars were recorded just running through a Danelectro pastrami OD and compression/EQing added later. I used the cheapest stuff I could find. Vocals were recorded with a Radioshack mike, and distortion was added on most of it (to sharpen the dull sound of the mike).

I swear, I wish I could figure out what I did to make this stuff hit me so well... None of my new stuff has this quality. I'm not saying my new stuff is bad, but it's different.

Maybe after I finish this new album I'll "go back to my roots", and use just modplug, a few samples that I can find, and cooledit. Actually, I know what I'll do, right now in fact. Grab the third track of my first album (The only one I really feel bad about) and re-record it.

Any other musicians here experience something similar?

DRT-Maverick
11th Aug 2003, 03:21 AM
Hey uhm, can I listen to your old stuff? :) Please?

Thrash123
11th Aug 2003, 03:42 AM
lol. If you are really interested, check my website. I'm selling a compilation album (featuring tracks from all of my albums, old and new) to pay for a new website hosting service (You may also notice that when you visit my website you get assailed by pops... my new hosts won't even have ad banners :)). Only 5 bucks + shipping in the US.

zynthetic
11th Aug 2003, 04:16 AM
I have the feeling I'm not making what I should be.
Same thing about what I listen to. I have this feeling that I want to listen to something differnt. Not just a different band more like a differnt genre where nothing sounds like marketed garbage.

yes, very hard to please.

gramps
11th Aug 2003, 05:24 AM
the keyword here is "nostalgia". :)

chances are your new tracks are really a lot better where production value is concerned. at least, i really hope this is the case, otherwise your work has become worse over the years. :P

when i listen to my older (fasttracker) works it puts me back into the 1992-1993 vibe, when i first started. so that's nice from time to time. but all subjectivity aside, my new work is really a lot better. can you honestly say this is not the case for you as well?

Inhale
11th Aug 2003, 07:16 AM
Although i am not talking lyrics like yourself (well i have done some) i find my old bass tabs to be more what i want from my music that what i seem to write now. There both industrial metal, however the older tabs just seem to fit that name better and have more of an effect.

W0RF
11th Aug 2003, 09:23 AM
I still listen to the crappy crap I wrote in high school. Nostalgia = win.

Clayeth
11th Aug 2003, 09:34 AM
maybe your first stuff is based on emotion and your new is overthought and overly technical?

of course, I'm not a musician myself, so what do I know? ;)

Thrash123
11th Aug 2003, 12:57 PM
No, it's not emotion vs. technical... My new stuff has just as much emotion, if not more, than my older stuff.

Inhale: I don't sing with my newer stuff anymore, because my voice has just gone downhill. I do a lot more than lyrics (read: Everything). :)

I dunno. When I finish this re-recording of this track I'll let you listen to them both and you decide.