PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Fantasy - an RPG TC

LegionaireJoe
9th Aug 2003, 09:11 PM
For those of you who don't know me, let me introduce myself!

My name is Kris Smith, though I post as ďLegionaireJoeĒ on the forums I frequent (Polycount (http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~polycount/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro&BypassCookie=true), here at CGChat.com (http://www.cgchat.com/forum/) and the Atari UT2003 boards (http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=249)). Iím currently attending university with plans to major Industrial Design, but games are my passion; I canít remember a time when I havenít been playing games. Iíve done lots of research, read books, and spoken with people in the industry about game design and for the last six months Iíve spent almost all of my free time conceptualizing and writing a story with a fellow artist who happens to be a good friend of mine. So without further adieu, I present Unreal Fantasy.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/images/splash_image.jpg

Introduction (Excerpt from the Design Doc) (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/unrealfantasy/design.doc)

Zelle is a desolate world, the land scared almost as much as its warriors. For centuries the magic wielding Echnir have controlled the planet, keeping the free-spirited Dwellers and their mechanical contraptions restrained and in control.

Mael is a young dweller Razorbike racer. After taking second in the Dweller Razor Tournament and wielding a Ripblade specially designed for him by his uncle, he leaves town with the ďTriadĒ Razorbike gang, led by the legendary Malcolm, and sets out on a journey to become the best.

Maelís plans are soon turned upside down when a young girl solicits their protection. Constantly pursued by Xondo, the High Priest of Echnir, Maelís past unfolds to reveal the fate of all life as we know it. Will Mael run from his destiny, or will he rise to meet it?

The goal of this project is to literally make something unreal: take the traditional Japanese console RPG style game and infuse elements of the Unreal Universe into it. Just for the record, Epic Games has given their permission to use their intellectual property for this non-commercial project. A lot of personal research and studying with regards to RPG game design has been done, as well as analyzing and learning about the wide variety of RPGs available on the console systems, including the older NES & SNES games. This project has also been on the forefront of my mind everyday for the last six months, so I'm determined to see it through.

This latest iteration of the Unreal engine has SO many possibilities, yet the potential is so often ignored and we end up with tons of Counter-Strike clones. This is one of my main driving goals for this project. Create something amazing, something that cannot only be called a game, but can be called a piece of art; an experience like none other.

Iíll humbly say Iím no wiz at coding or scripting, but I can get my head around the concepts behind the basics of programming. Iíve set up a forum and have a very simple (I stress very simple) site up which links to the forum and the IRC channel. Iím not the greatest when it comes to HTML & website stuff, so weíre definitely in need of a webmaster. Iíd also like to stress that Iím not just some ďidea man.Ē I model, map, texture, and do conceptual work. Iím also 110% committed to see this to completion.

The forums can be found here: Unreal Fantasy Site (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/).

If you register, please ignore the error message. I donít know how to fix that, sorry.

Here is just a bit of the work Iíve done:

Ripblade Design (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/unrealfantasy/ripblade.jpg)
Ripblade Designs (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/unrealfantasy/ripblade_designs.jpg)
Ripblade Explained (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/unrealfantasy/ripblade_explained.jpg)
Ripblade Model (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/unrealfantasy/ripblade_model.jpg)
Necris Lord (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/unrealfantasy/necris_lord.jpg)

Iíve done some other modeling, but I want to give people the opportunity to have a say in how the game is designed before anything is set in stone.

This was a very quick repaint in Photoshop over my friends sketch:

Malcolm Concept (http://members.lycos.co.uk/legionairejoe/unrealfantasy/malcolm_ps.jpg)

This mod is not about winning the "Make Something Unreal" contest, though I'm hoping that a good sized demo will be complete by the February deadline, but what itís really about is having a lot of fun, pushing ourselves artistically & creatively, and finishing a project that we can proudly call our own. Itís about quality and fun, and if by meeting the contest deadline means that we loose all those elements, then I feel we can disregard the contest and take the time to finish the game right (though I'd still like to see us make it into the contest with a demo).

Weíre looking for a full team:

Programmers
Character Modelers
Texture Artists
Concept Artists (Character, Mechanical, & Environmental)
Animators
Mappers/Environmental Artists
Music Composers
Sound Engineers
Website Engineer

There really isnít a need to make some super elaborate team hierarchy where people can become overly sensitive and dramatic because theyíre not the Assistant Associate Director of Internal Development. Whoop-Dee-Feckiní-Do. We all need to step up to the plate and do what we do best. Thatís all I ask.

This is a learning experience for everyone and I hope we learn lots, have a great time and make a great game doing so! Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Iíll catch ya on the flip side!

-Kris Smith

I can be reached on:
AIM - LegionaireJoe
MSN - swank_smithers@hotmail.com

FireSlash
10th Aug 2003, 08:10 AM
I think setting a solid release date in 04 is a bit unrealistic. This project sounds like quite a task, and while you might or might not be aware, very few mod teams get a full staff. My current project has been in development for over two years, and is still under 50% completion.

I love the detail you put into this. The mod looks promising if you can pull it off, but it appears you already gave a growing staff.

Anyway, Good luck!

aruon 177
20th Sep 2003, 01:36 AM
very very cool idea for a mod man,i love the idea of mixing ff and unreal all together,i just hope i will be able to make a damn good mod my self,im thinkin about thinkin ideas for a mod but since linix and mac os x dosint have any unrealEDs like on the pc verson there no way for me to make a mod,well the only way i can make a mod is if i get people to make it for me,but i will think up the idea and the art for the mod,all im going to say is this unreal fantasy thing is i hope it turns out to be a good mod and i hope it will also work on linix and mac os x.

good luck man i realy want to see how this mod turns out to be like :)

aruon 177
20th Sep 2003, 01:40 AM
and another thing thats a cool lookin logo for the mod!

Radiosity
22nd Sep 2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks aruon 177 :) Hopefully it will live up to expectations (of course it will :D ). As for macos and linux, since the core components of the game are all UT2003/2004 based I can't see there being any real problems running UF on either of those OS's (with any luck) :)

CSM

Oh, and here's the link to our public forum:

http://unrealfantasy.ultimatewarzone.com/forum/index.php

Not much activity as yet since we're still in early development, but register anyway if you want and no doubt things will start to pick up fairly soon.

JamesKilton
22nd Sep 2003, 07:37 PM
Finally! A readable, grammatically correct, and very gameplay oriented recruitment post!!! I never thought I'd see another one! And it's not a realism code!! Holy Sh*t!

Man, if I wasn't FireSlash's coding bitch :p, I'd join the mod in a jiffy. The idea is awesome and I really hope you guys can pull it off.

aruon 177
23rd Sep 2003, 12:32 AM
well some ideas for the game its self,sould it have real time battles like kingdom hearts,but i love the idea of it being like ff10 becasue i LOVE FF10!

also sould the game have good texters and good water and lighting in the levels good polygon counts,plus how well will the game run on pc/mac and unix base computers,
will it run the best on a p4 2-3ghz with a ati radeon 9800 or geforce fx 5900,64 to 256 mb vram,or g5 2ghz with a ati radeon 9600 or 9800pro 128 vram,online play somethin like hack-n-slah 8-16 players online,dont forget pcs useing the linix OS and mac computers with its unix base os x.

those are my ideas on unreal fantasy and hope that the team will be a good development team!

hope for the best when it comes out in 2004 :)

JackReacher
23rd Sep 2003, 09:46 AM
Finally! A readable, grammatically correct, and very gameplay oriented recruitment post!!! I never thought I'd see another one! And it's not a realism code!! Holy Sh*t!

That made me laugh SO much :D

aruon 177
24th Sep 2003, 08:48 PM
man i realy hope you dudes get like 10 or 20 people to work on the mod so it will be done by 2004

Radiosity
25th Sep 2003, 06:30 PM
lol at JamesKilton :lol:

Thanks for the support, I'll relay your best wishes to the rest of the team :) And currently we have around 10 people, so keeping fingers crossed 2004 shouldn't be too difficult to achieve.

Oh, and if your machine will handle UT2003/ 2004 alright then it'll handle UF fine as well. Thanks again :D

CSM

aruon 177
26th Sep 2003, 05:16 PM
hm 10 people hm not much but not that bad,if i had the unreal ED tools i would help out on the development.

proudclod
1st Oct 2003, 05:03 PM
OMG!!!u gotta let me help, you have to, you have to, you have to, you are viewing this messege posted by the biggest ff fan on the planet, PLEASE!!!!i can do good modeling, and concept art :D!!!!! i beg u so bad plz....

Radiosity
12th Oct 2003, 12:58 PM
What kind of modelling? We've got a few character modellers already, though I daresay we could always use more, but static mesh modellers would be a real help. Contact Kris (first post) about it :)

proudclod
26th Oct 2003, 09:09 PM
Since a member of this team offended me in many ways, i might reconsider joining, though 1 person can't show you your path, right? Well, if any of you still want modelers, please tell me, if not, don't be an ******* like the other guy.

Radiosity
3rd Nov 2003, 05:34 AM
Umm, ok, who? I know it's not me as the only thing I've said to you was in that last post.

Wormbo
3rd Nov 2003, 08:22 AM
I don't know, but for some reason (http://forums.beyondunreal.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=38001) I think this proudclod guy is only trolling...

Radiosity
3rd Nov 2003, 08:31 AM
Hmm, guess we'd better break out the Billygoats then ;)

JamesKilton
3rd Nov 2003, 02:07 PM
LOL

Owned

proudclod
3rd Nov 2003, 03:06 PM
Im not trolling, i only made 1 post as a joke, everything else i said is true... I dunn remember the guyz name, but he was on IRC, and i added him to aim, and when i talked to him, i was using shortucts like: u, o, IMO ETC. And when i asked him how old he is, he said old enough to spell, and started being an ass.....

Radiosity
3rd Nov 2003, 03:16 PM
I use shortcuts like that on the rare occasions I decide to chat using MSN or whatever, because it's a hell of a load quicker when talking in realtime. I'll get arsey with someone who persistently uses them on a forum though because there's simply no need for shortcuts - it's a lazy use of language that should be discouraged in a public discussion environment like this.

proudclod
3rd Nov 2003, 03:24 PM
and do you see me using the shortcuts on forums? rarely, when i'm in a HUGE hurry, or just too tired to type...

Radiosity
4th Nov 2003, 07:55 PM
I never said I did see you using them :)

Dark Messager
5th Nov 2003, 11:07 AM
I liked the idea, very much, very, very much!!
It looks like you're gonna get your but kicked with hard work, so if you need any help with a stupid mapper and a bad concept artist, im offering my butt to the kickin aswell.

And a few months ago i had an idea for a Bs(battle system) for an Rpg. It also included the link abilitie and the combo attacks, so if you want to i can write and send it to you.

Hitoshi
7th Nov 2003, 03:28 PM
Hey! This looks sooo cool!!!!
Please please please please can i be the webmaster?

Final fantasy RULES!!!! I have played all of the games.

I am an expert in HTML, Javascript, SQL, PHP. I have been doing it for almost 6 years.

Also I love to write scripts and I often write my own fanfics and stories. I write cool plots and twists, stuff like that.

I spend a lot of time mapping and now I've become really experianced. I'm always coming up with new ambitious ideas.

Recently I started skinning. I practice a lot and so I've gotten pretty good.

I can play lots of different music too. I have been playing guitar for 2 years and also I used to play saxophone. I can make up some good keyboard stuff too. Oh and I can sing well.

So I can offer my music side as well as programming, map creation, writing, and skinning.

pleeease lol.

REPLY BACK

Hitoshi ^^

aruon 177
14th Nov 2003, 12:23 AM
Any new updates on the development of the game?

Yassen
5th Mar 2005, 04:01 AM
I'd like to do concepts for weapons and items, have you actually got permission from Square....if you need it that is.

Psyk
6th Mar 2005, 06:25 AM
I don't see why you would. It's not using any IP from final fantasy. Even if it is going to have similar gameplay and story ideas. Companies can't copyright gameplay so it would be ok. Is this mod still in development? It sounds like a good idea but it doesn't look like there's been anything about it in over a year.

Yassen
8th Mar 2005, 09:42 AM
Ah :( i heard from radiosity it died out a year ago

Radiosity
8th Mar 2005, 10:16 AM
Yup, sadly so. Not from lack of interest among the team members though, it has to be said. Kris (LegionaireJoe) kinda went walkabout with real life and other projects and we never really heard from him again. That was quite annoying, being as we had a damn talented team of guys working on this. And I now have no idea what happened to them either :(

Adraeus
8th Mar 2005, 02:54 PM
What was LJ providing that the team couldn't do without?

RegularX
8th Mar 2005, 03:11 PM
Was this only single player?

Radiosity
8th Mar 2005, 03:52 PM
Uh... LJ was the project lead and had all the ideas, concepts, etc etc.. Without him and all his ideas for the game we didn't really have a lot to work from. It's all very well saying that we could have stayed together, but an RPG of this scale would have taken a lot of hard work and effort to even get to a stage where we could have really started some tangible work on it - hard work and effort that LJ had already invested over a period of about 6 months.

RegularX - yes, single player only, story driven like all other final fantasy style games. We did talk about MP, but eventually decided that it would be way too much work adding that kind of functionality to the game, at least in the first builds of the mod. An MP aspect could have been added later though.

RegularX
8th Mar 2005, 04:05 PM
RegularX - yes, single player only, story driven like all other final fantasy style games. We did talk about MP, but eventually decided that it would be way too much work adding that kind of functionality to the game, at least in the first builds of the mod. An MP aspect could have been added later though.

Well, I don't know what you had codewise, but I've been building a turn based framework for another project - but it's probably hopelessy SP only (at least for now). I had thought about doing a more FF style combat system at one point, but right now it's unit based.

Just thought I'd note in case the project got revived.

Adraeus
8th Mar 2005, 06:17 PM
Hrm... I have an idea for a third-person action-adventure RPG. Would a UT mod be capable of supporting a dialogue system and other traditional elements of Role-Playing Games? Or would such a game require a license with access to the source code?

Radiosity
8th Mar 2005, 06:25 PM
It should be pretty obvious that it is possible, being as that's what we were doing ;)

RegX - thanks for the note, I'll come and bug you if this ever starts up again (which I sincerely hope it does at some point).

RegularX
8th Mar 2005, 06:26 PM
Hrm... I have an idea for a third-person action-adventure RPG. Would a UT mod be capable of supporting a dialogue system and other traditional elements of Role-Playing Games? Or would such a game require a license with access to the source code?

Nah, you could do that pretty easily with some GUI and camera tricks I think.

Adraeus
8th Mar 2005, 06:31 PM
Thank you for answering my questions, Radiosity & RegularX. Now that I know I don't need to recruit or hire programmers to build an engine from scratch, I'll get to work on organizing my "idea" (read: twenty-odd pages of extensive discussion) into a "solid" concept and design document.