PDA

View Full Version : Can someone do me a huge favour and convert this S3M file to UMX?

Slim Vision
8th Aug 2003, 06:46 PM
I would have included the file as an attachment but its 100KB too big... Also, I'd convert it myself but I've got a Mac and as you may well know Mac users are deprived of UnrealED (I presume you use UED to convert these module music files right?).

Its located here:

firebr.zip (http://home.clara.net/chease/media/temp/firebr.zip)

If you want to know why I want to convert firebr from S3M into UMX when its already a UMX file that comes with Unreal Torunament, then read on! I'll start at the beginning... Originally, the Mac version of UT was full of bugs. It still is, many were allowed to slip of course, its probably down to dodgey porting, either way, many maps we Mac users play on don't have any music. An odd occurance, of which until now no one has got to the bottom of. Anyway, I was converting the UMX files using a cool App I found on the net, so I could listen to them using my fave player. However when I converted firebr.umx it came out as 'firebr.xm' (not the usual S3M or IT), and when I tried to play it on various players I had, it didn't work. I downloaded a player that specifically plays modular music and unsupprisingly it worked. But I came to the conclusion that this firebr music file is encoded with a format the Macintosh doens't like, hence why it doesn't play inside the game. So I converted it to S3M, and now I hope to have it converted back into a UMX file and if I'm correct all the maps that use it should have music. For the first time ever.

If someone could convert the file for me and post it here (or email it to me if its too big to post as an attachment which no doubt it will be) I'd be most appreciative! Thanks!

My email address is [deleted] if you do email it to me. Thanks again!

Radiosity
8th Aug 2003, 09:15 PM
Email sent :)

Slim Vision
9th Aug 2003, 06:04 AM
Great! thanks! I'll post if it was a sucess or not soon. Thanks again. :)

Radiosity
9th Aug 2003, 06:58 AM
No problem :)

Wormbo
9th Aug 2003, 07:01 AM
Firebr? UMX?
Are you sure you want to do that because UT already has a Firebr.umx and if you want it for UT2k3 you need an OGG file.

Mychaeel
9th Aug 2003, 07:18 AM
Do read the long paragraph at the end of the first posting for an explanation of that, Wormbo. :)

JohnnySix
16th Aug 2003, 06:54 AM
You might want to keep a back-up of the original, from recent experience ( I make a lot of custom music for UT in modplug) I've found you can get a package mismatch error, even though music doens't make one jot of difference to the game. :(

Basically, if you're doing a lot of on-line gaming, and come across a map using that music, be prepared for the server kicking you. :(

Nicely spotted though with the whole XM thing.

Whatever happened to those Mac/PC hybrid things that could run both Mac stuff and Pc stuff? Did I dream it or did that concept dry up and the two systems go their separate ways again?

Wormbo
17th Aug 2003, 04:55 AM
Ah ok, but you'll definately get version mismatch errors now unless ChainsawMonkey specifically made it network conform to the original version.