PDA

View Full Version : BuF OT Guitarist's Shred Contest

Thrash123
8th Aug 2003, 01:26 PM
There are quite a few guitar players on these forums and in IRC, so I figured why not give everybody a chance to show off their skills.

Each user can submit a song (approx 1 minute in length) featuring a solo they recorded. Judging is informal; Everybody comment on eachother's solos. You can submit shred solos other people have written, however it's preferred that you submit your own.

I'll start working on mine shortly; Everybody start submitting! :)

Twisted Metal
8th Aug 2003, 02:14 PM
When I learn how to write solos I will participate. So let's hope the forums don't crash in the next 3 years so I can bump this thread.

But seriously, most of my guitar playing consists of just playing existing songs. I'm working on learning scales/chords/all the notes on the fretboard now though, for the first time in 6 years.

Also I think it's gonna be hard to upload a decent quality 1 minute song since it will probably be over the upload size limit.

tool
8th Aug 2003, 02:18 PM
if at all possible can you guys tab out your solo's too? Give the wannabe solo players out there like Twisted Metal something to maybe work with.

ooh and by the way, Twisted Metal, what was that one program you told me about awhile ago that lets you record your music?

and one more question, is it better to have your microphone recording your guitar or your amp?

Twisted Metal
8th Aug 2003, 02:27 PM
if at all possible can you guys tab out your solo's too? Give the wannabe solo players out there like Twisted Metal something to maybe work with.

ooh and by the way, Twisted Metal, what was that one program you told me about awhile ago that lets you record your music?

and one more question, is it better to have your microphone recording your guitar or your amp?

For best quality you wanna run a guitar cord from your amps Line out to your sound cards Line In(using a mini jack converter to get it to fit in the sound card). Unfortunately my amp doesn't have a line out... It has a preamp out but I don't think it's the same thing. So usually I just plug my guitar directly into my sound card. Downside is that it doesn't run through the amp so the sound is not the same as it is in the amp.

As for the program, I use Cool Edit Pro 2.0. Simple to use, yet very powerful.

ShadowKi][er
8th Aug 2003, 02:32 PM
Give the wannabe solo players out there like Twisted Metal something to maybe work with.

Has eveyrone seen the crazy Michael Angelo video? If not, jump on Kazaa and search for a video called "Speed Kills". Amazing stuff indeed.

Tool, and post that One cover, biatch ;).

tool
8th Aug 2003, 02:37 PM
I'm working on it, this isnt something you just pick up and all of a sudden do perfectly right away, even though I have done it before. :p This is a hard solo. :(

I want to redeem myself for the last time I posted my guitar playing. It sounded like garbage and I rushed through it. My guitar playing has of course improved since then, I am way better now, and I didnt take my time anyways with that.

Twisted Metal
8th Aug 2003, 02:39 PM
I'm working on it, this isnt something you just pick up and all of a sudden do perfectly right away, even though I have done it before. :p This is a hard solo. :(

Which?

tool
8th Aug 2003, 02:40 PM
Which?

The solo too one by metallica. The one near the end of the song that is hella fast.

ShadowKi][er
8th Aug 2003, 02:45 PM
This is a hard solo. :(

Tell me about it.

Personally I find this attack the hardest:

E-17p15---------------15h17p15-------------|-15h17p15-------------15h17p15--
B--------17-15-17-19-----------17-15-17-19-|----------17-15-17-19-----------
G------------------------------------------|--------------------------------
D------------------------------------------|--------------------------------
A------------------------------------------|--------------------------------
E------------------------------------------|--------------------------------

E-----------15-|-17p15------------15-17p15---------15h17----|
B-17-17-19-----|--------15-17-19------------17--15----------|
G--------------|--------------------------------------------|
D--------------|--------------------------------------------|
A--------------|--------------------------------------------|
E--------------|--------------------------------------------|

E-19p17p15-----19p17p15-----19p17p15------19p17p15----------|
B----------15-----------15------------15------------15------|
G-----------------------------------------------------------|
D-----------------------------------------------------------|
A-----------------------------------------------------------|
E-----------------------------------------------------------|

E-19p17--------19p17--------19p17---------19p17p15----------|
B----------15-----------15------------15--------------------|
G-----------------------------------------------------------|
D-----------------------------------------------------------|
A-----------------------------------------------------------|
E-----------------------------------------------------------|

Twisted Metal
8th Aug 2003, 02:45 PM
Hell yea http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/images/smiles/rockon.gif

Thrash123
8th Aug 2003, 03:05 PM
The preamp out of amps will work for a general sound - You may have to do some EQing if you have the software to get an OK sound from it though.

I'm NOT taking the time to tab out my solos - they are always improv. Heck, I rarely take the time to write out any of my songs in anything - I usually just get the idea in my head, play it on a piano or guitar, then plug it into Reason and record the other parts. Vocals I do on the spot improv, same with guitar solos.

If you have some recording software that supports vst/rtas/DirectX plugins, look for IK Multimedia's Amplitube demo. That's what I'll be using for my tone.

tool
8th Aug 2003, 03:10 PM
ok come on, put up some stuff already thrash :D

can we change the theme to whatever the hell want please? ;)

Thrash123
8th Aug 2003, 03:42 PM
lol. If you are itching to hear one of my guitar solos, listen to "Holy Ghost" on my website (click the picture in my sig). Halfway through the song I wrote a quick guitar solo. It's not really shred, though.

I'll write something when the mood hits me. It could be in an hour, it could be in a day. Who knows.

Eh, sure, whatever. Doesn't HAVE to be shred, but since that's what everybody was going on about in IRC, I figured why not.

Twisted Metal
8th Aug 2003, 04:57 PM
Thrash you telling me that if I run a cord out of the preamp out to the line in on my sound card it will work for recording?

Thrash123
8th Aug 2003, 05:11 PM
Yes. I have done that with bass amps in the past, works fine. You'll hae to use a 1/4 to 1/8 adaptor, though.

LedZep
8th Aug 2003, 10:59 PM
A solo isn't necessarily an extremley fast high pitched monotonic melody that has the hell distorted out of it. A solo in music is, by definition, a melody being performed by a single instrument.

let me record something, get back to you in a sec.

Ice
8th Aug 2003, 11:02 PM
Does it HAVE to be guitar? I wouldn't mind actually playing something with my trumpet, provided I didn't think it was crap.

LedZep
8th Aug 2003, 11:19 PM
well that depends what Thrash is asking for, guitar or solos? or maybe guitar solos? anyway, I don't think it will really hurt his pride if you post some trumpet music, I would like to hear you play.

oh and TM, you dont have to write a solo, just improvise on a few ladders, and it definatley wont take you 3 years, I play for only 2 and I can improvise pretty well. I'll record something for you later on, meanwhile here is what I recorded a minute ago, got a couple mistakes in on the base lines but who cares? :p (it's attached)

tool
8th Aug 2003, 11:57 PM
not bad Led :tup:

Twisted Metal
9th Aug 2003, 12:24 AM
Isn't that greensleeves or something?

Sounds damn cool man. I probably can't even do that :o

Thrash123
9th Aug 2003, 02:38 AM
Eh, post whatever the heck you want :) Just as long as it's a solo and shows off. Led pretty much nailed it.

Nice work Led; However, I would suggest you slow it down so you can clean it up a bit :)

I still don't know what I'm going to do yet. Eh, maybe I'll come up with something tomorrow.

Parser
9th Aug 2003, 06:31 AM
I've got a few ideas, but I can't record them very well, for some reason I just don't feel confident when I can see the big red record button being depressed... :hmm:

Ice
9th Aug 2003, 09:39 AM
Led: Reminds me of an old church hymn, but non-gay. :tup: Sounds good man.

Ice
9th Aug 2003, 09:40 AM
Actually, anyone know any good ways of recording brass? Other than sticking my cheaparse computer mic down my trumpet's bell, which I don't feel like as the thing is about to fall apart anyways.

Morety
9th Aug 2003, 09:47 AM
I can't believe you nerds haven't heard Led's song before :p It's older than the hills on granny's chest.

Here's this one again:

Spooge (http://members.rogers.com/toulousemoreton/spoogesample.mp3)

Maybe I'll slap something new together this week. I just finished reinstalling my recording stuff.

Morety
9th Aug 2003, 09:49 AM
Angry, try it old fashioned style. Set the mic up in a quiet room.

The size of the room will effect the sound you get, along with the shape, wall material etc.

You may get a bit of background noise, but wtf eh? We can pretend we're listening to vinyl :)

LedZep
9th Aug 2003, 02:47 PM
Yep seriously, it's weird how only TM and Morety knew that piece was greensleeves. And you call yourselves musicians... :p

Nice work Led; However, I would suggest you slow it down so you can clean it up a bit :)Oh so now you are calling me slow eh? I see how it is! Well then, you are slow too then! What do you have to say about that? Oh, you didn't record anything yet. :p

As for my "improvisation session" I'm trying to record it, but there is one little problem, my only (****ty as hell) mic is connected to a set of headphones, and since my speakers burned out 2 days ago (dont ask why :p) those headphones are my only way of listening to the stuff I record, and to be able to improvise on a few chords I have to listen to them while playing, but I cant record and listen at the same time since the mic is connected to the headphones and is real ****ty, so even if I play loudly I still have to increase the volume later which adds so much noise you cant even hear the melody.

Boy this was a nice story. :) I'll get the deal fixed and record a 2 guitar tune for you sometime soon hopefully.

Selerox
9th Aug 2003, 03:10 PM
I don't play an instrument, but even I knew that. Get your s*** togther people :)

Thrash123
9th Aug 2003, 03:29 PM
I knew it was greensleeves, I just didn't post that I did since someone else already said it :) I'm quite musically inclined. I'm bass trombone player and soloist for the Hannibal La-Grange Jazz band, and lead tenor trombone player for the concert band. I also perform a variety of solos, mostly of the romantic period classical genre. I'm also working on composing my own. I dabble in classical/orchestral composition, and then of course I'm producing my 5th Industrial album this summer (actually, I'm going to take a break and finish it at college).

Yeah, I'm a musician. :) Maybe I'll whip together a clip from my arrangement of Pacho's Canon (Still can't remember how to spell it... Pacelbels? Pacobels? argh).

cryco
9th Aug 2003, 04:05 PM
is this all acoustic?
I quickly did a little solo (metal-ish), kinda sloppy but i dunno wether i should post it or not. It's recorded poorly and done in about 10 minutes.

Thrash123
9th Aug 2003, 04:49 PM
cryco: Whatever you want. I'm probably going to do a standard industrial metal clip with a solo, although I may go with a blues slightly distorted jam.

cryco
9th Aug 2003, 05:01 PM
well, here goes:
it's only 1 minute long, and i soloed too much at the end (i made up some rythm).
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cryco/
just grab the zip file, it's c3.zip

mokeh
9th Aug 2003, 07:15 PM
Here (http://www.mokeh.co.uk/ss/02.mp3) is my shoddy effort and after hearing cryco's effort it sucks even more than it did before :(, but i shall record something better tommorow hopefully :)

*Edit* A better effort can be found here (http://www.mokeh.co.uk/ss/03b.mp3) :)

TomWithTheWeather
9th Aug 2003, 08:09 PM
I never was really into the heavy metal thrash type stuff. Maybe I'll post something sometime soon. I haven't picked up my guitar in months. :(

Ice
9th Aug 2003, 08:27 PM
I'm pretty sure of the fact that I won't record anything, but just play it on teamspeak. Sorry, but I don't feel I'm THAT great :p

Get on the teamspeak server, and the IRC server too, damnit!

IRC: irc.enterthegame.net #bufguitar
Teamspeak: 195.149.21.197:8767

Should be a party playing tomorrow. :)

Morety
9th Aug 2003, 11:06 PM
oops, missed reading a post or three.... never mind ;)

Thrash123
10th Aug 2003, 06:12 PM
cryco: Very nice. How long have you been playing? What stomp boxes and amp did you use? It sounds like you went DI, I can hear a fizziness of a soundcard - SB Live card perhaps?

Eh, I think I'll just record a little snippet from my cover of Voodoo Child I have been working on and off on over the summer. Let me record it and see how it sounds, if I like it I'll post. :)

Neddaf
10th Aug 2003, 07:49 PM
Well, can I write a bass solo and submit it? I mean its Bass GUITAR :)

I'll see what I can conjur up...

cryco
10th Aug 2003, 08:26 PM
hehe, nice catch Thrash123. It was indeed the Creative SBlive effects. Of course, i added my own turbo distortion pedal to the loop. I also used the creative recorder to record that, and then used winamp to convert to mp3.
Well, i've been playing guitar for, um, since grade 9. That would mean, um, 1987. Damn, too many years. I used to play a lot, back in the late 80s - early 90s with a metal band I was in. Put in many hours.
Though, sadly, in the last 8 years, i've been only fiddling with the guitar. I play a few hours a week for say 3 weeks, then, 5 months go by before i pick it up again. And so on.
This thread inspired me to whip out the axe for the first time in, oh, since before i moved, so at least 3 months.
Once you play in a band, you find it dull playing alone.

TomWithTheWeather
10th Aug 2003, 09:04 PM
Once you play in a band, you find it dull playing alone.

That's my problem. I'll pick it up for a little while, then get bored and not play it again for a month. The creative juices don't flow as well when you're by yourself and missing bass and drums. :(

Thrash123
10th Aug 2003, 09:16 PM
I disagree with the playing-in-a-band statement. I have been playing tenor/bass trombone and bass guitar in bands for years, it's refreshing to have my solo project. I will never stop with it either - 5 albums and still kicking ;) Although I have only been playing electric guitar for a little more than 2 years, and bass for 2 and a half (approx). Bass/tenor trombone for... too long, 9 or 10 years :)

However, I'm not saying I'll never play in a band again - I still am in concert and jazz band at college, and am trying to line up an improv blues band (heh, yeah, I'm a rivithead and a blues'r). Being in a band and being solo can be two separate things, completely on different levels, IMHO. It's rather difficult to explain.

Besides, I get a lot of attention with my solo project. People are amazed when they hear my music and ask who did what, and then I tell them :)

LedZep
10th Aug 2003, 09:48 PM
I don't know why you guys take this little contest that seriously :p I mean, just record something and post it, even if you dont like it, shouldn't take you more than a few minutes. As for me, because of my lack of equipment (full story on first page) I decided to record a single guitar improv, it doesn't sound as well without some accompaniment (chords) but who cares? It is 40 seconds long and it took me exactly 40 seconds to record it on my old classical guitar. Sorry I have a little crappy transition there, but that's what you get when you record on the fly. Anyway it is alittle jazzy sounding, I hope you like it:

Clayeth
10th Aug 2003, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I'm a musician. :) Maybe I'll whip together a clip from my arrangement of Pacho's Canon (Still can't remember how to spell it... Pacelbels? Pacobels? argh).
heh, my roomate last semester was taking guitar lessons from another student at the college who gave me a copy of an arangement of that he said he did. It says Malmsteen, but he also pointed out that it isn't on any of his CDs and he just named it that to see if he could get people to download and listen to it. Who knows if he's telling the truth, but my roomate said he kicked absolute ass, especially with solos and stuff, so who knows.

Either way, I'll put it on my webspace for you. I'm not a musician myself, so you can probably give me a better read on how good it actually is. If it doesn't work wait a second, I'm uploading it as I submit this :D

Click Here (http://bellsouthpwp.net/c/l/clayeth/Yngwie Malmsteen - Canon in D (electric guitar).mp3)

Thrash123
10th Aug 2003, 11:35 PM
I really like the arrangement. It's tasteful - It isn't allout shred. Very well written. Overuse of pinch harmonics though. Some notes are VERY slightly sour, but any ordinary person wouldn't really notice them (I'm have a really good ear for that sort of thing). Recording wise, very tasteful use of multitracking the guitars (I really hated how Randy Rhoads would layer his guitar solos, even though he is one of my favorite guitarists).

Very clean playing too. Overall, he did some nice work :) It almost sounds like Yngwie, however I think Yngwie would have shred a lot more in it. I'm not really sure though, I haven't listened to Yngwie much.

Lizard Of Oz
11th Aug 2003, 04:27 PM
Here are my contributions:

Just screwing around here. This stuff ain't my style. 80's Hair-Band style "shredding."

Shredded Wheat.mp3 (http://www.moviesbyme.com/images/Shredded%20Wheat.mp3) (800k)

This is all me. Electirc, Accoustic and Drum machine. I created a rythm track to play with,
and then improvised the lead bit. This all one take and I like I said I was improvising the whole thing.

Debbie Does Dallas.mp3 (http://www.moviesbyme.com/images/Debbie%20Does%20Dallas.mp3) (4.7mb)

Semi-acoustic soul exposure:

Autumn (http://www.moviesbyme.com/images/Autumn.mp3) (4.2mb)

pReTTy_vAcaNt
11th Aug 2003, 04:32 PM
err... not to be rude or anything... but :con: This is why I started the BuF Music Studio thread.

:o

Thrash123
11th Aug 2003, 04:42 PM
PV: your thread not really active, and I stopped reading it after a while. It seemed that the thread was for planning like a radio or something, so I figured something like this would get more attention being a separate thread.

*edit* doh, I just noticed it was stickied. Sorry :)

Lizard Of Oz
12th Aug 2003, 12:11 AM
That bad, eh?

Thrash123
12th Aug 2003, 12:39 AM
Sorry Liz, haven't downloaded em' yet. Been using my bandwidth for a big download. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be done.

*edit* just listened to shredded wheat - pretty cool :)

Lizard Of Oz
12th Aug 2003, 12:47 AM
Sorry Liz, haven't downloaded em' yet. Been using my bandwidth for a big download. Hopefully tomorrow it'll be done.

*edit* just listened to shredded wheat - pretty cool :)

Oh man. that's the worst of the bunch! (IMHO) I was just joking with that one.

(But thanks for taking a listen. :) )

Morety
12th Aug 2003, 04:31 PM
Good stuff Liz :)

I'm not into headbanging either but you did a cool job. I liked Debbie, it kind of sounds like a cross influence of Dire Straits and Pink Floyd.

The last one sounds like some mood music you'd find on David Gilmore's first solo album, when PF just did Animals. Nothing for the forefront, but cool in the background as mood music.

tool
12th Aug 2003, 09:19 PM
**** LIZ!!!! :eek: that is some good stuff you did :tup: nice work man!!!!

Lizard Of Oz
12th Aug 2003, 10:49 PM
**** LIZ!!!! :eek: that is some good stuff you did :tup: nice work man!!!!

Good stuff Liz :)

I'm not into headbanging either but you did a cool job. I liked Debbie, it kind of sounds like a cross influence of Dire Straits and Pink Floyd.

The last one sounds like some mood music you'd find on David Gilmore's first solo album, when PF just did Animals. Nothing for the forefront, but cool in the background as mood music.

Thanks guys!

Well Mark Knopfler and David Gilmour are two of my biggest guitar heroes.

Autumn was my attempt to create something Micheal Hedges (http://www.nomadland.com/Point_A.htm)-like.

the~oreca
12th Aug 2003, 11:34 PM
I only listened to one tune up till now and it was LedZep's Greensleeves which I picked up right away since I love Greensleeves!

I usually play it infront of people because I like it and they don't expect it!
Chicks dig it too :p

Here's one I made a long time ago!
I was still learning the song when I recorded it but it's still not too bad!

I'll get around to doing something else...
Maybe I can get my friend to record something too, LedZep I know you'll love it if he gets around :D

Lizard Of Oz
12th Aug 2003, 11:35 PM
....Here's one I made a long time ago!....

???

the~oreca
12th Aug 2003, 11:36 PM
???

Sorry there! Forgot the attachment!

LedZep
13th Aug 2003, 12:51 AM
Wow oreca that's really neat! I really like the effect you used for it. Although just bass and melody gets a bit dull after hearing the song so many times (and I'm a greensleeves nut :p) So how about doing some variations and stuff? Take that other greensleeves I recorded, it has a lot of stuff added to it making it totally awesome (even though I played it pretty ****ty, it seriously is a good arrangment). Although you can try something less complicated, like playing the entire chord instead of just the bass, and maybe adding some stuff in. Here is what I recorded just now to show you what I mean:

masamax
13th Aug 2003, 12:59 AM
Bah. We all know guitarists are fags anyways. Basses are the ones getting the felatio!

Twisted Metal
13th Aug 2003, 01:08 AM
Bah. We all know guitarists are fags anyways. Basses are the ones getting the felatio!

Was that really necessary? Bass and guitar are both extremely important, k?

Lizard Of Oz
13th Aug 2003, 01:16 AM

What you and your boyfriends do in the privacy of your homes is no concern to us. :p

tool
13th Aug 2003, 01:17 AM

I play bass also and im lookg for some loving from a sexy guy, you look like a guy, and look sexy... :mwink:

;)

LedZep
13th Aug 2003, 01:34 AM
According to my (100% absolutley truely proven and undeniable) theory, bass players choose the bass to compensate for the size of their penises. ;)

Neddaf
13th Aug 2003, 06:16 AM
well your theories are wrong! cause my bass is pretty big!!!

oh wait...

Thrash123
13th Aug 2003, 01:33 PM
Ok, I finally have something to post here.

It's a song I recorded quite a few months ago for one of my friends who was sick. She had pink eye and was quarantined in her room in the dorm :) Wrote it and recorded it in less than 3 hours.

http://members.peoplestar.net/poweruser@peoplestar.net/SE-GetWellBecky.mp3

masamax
13th Aug 2003, 02:56 PM
Didn't anyone read that Onion article? ;)

Anyways, everything about basses and bassists is bigger, mkay? :lol:

LHABulldog6
13th Aug 2003, 09:20 PM
According to my (100% absolutley truely proven and undeniable) theory, bass players choose the bass to compensate for the size of their penises. ;)

You got it wrong man. Its like that shoesize myth. The longer the fretboard... :D

Neddaf
13th Aug 2003, 10:13 PM
im glad i have a longscale then...i think...well...i like to think...hah..

Twisted Metal
14th Aug 2003, 12:20 PM
You got it wrong man. Its like that shoesize myth. The longer the fretboard... :D

Well what about the guitars with 2 fret boards. You have double the length of a normal guitar neck if you add em together :D

LHABulldog6
14th Aug 2003, 12:29 PM
No, then you're just a freak. Although...no. Having two could never come in handy :p

LedZep
14th Aug 2003, 03:38 PM
I don't know what you guys are arguing about, I would be happy if my dick was half as long as my fretboard. :(

flookster
14th Aug 2003, 03:48 PM
I don't know what you guys are arguing about, I would be happy if my dick was half as long as my fretboard. :(

Zeps guitar collection :lol:

LedZep
14th Aug 2003, 04:07 PM
Dude those guitars are oversized!