Stamina recovery changes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Scuddie

I am probably better than you.
Sep 29, 2001
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
As of now, the way stamina recovery works is ridiculous. For example, proning recovers stamina fastest, followed by crouch, then by standing, and walking being the slowest. There is some seriously flawed logic there. The reason behind this is that while you are standing still, you really aren't doing anything, except your legs hold your weight. While you are proning, your muscles arent working, except for your diaphram(sp?), which laying on your chest inhibits free breathing. Walking is not much different than standing, except your body has to move, putting a little more stress on your legs and torso. Crouching is very difficult for your body to do, since alot more muscles are being stressed, from legs to backk, and all of your weight is still on your legs. So it makes perfect sense that standing, proning, walking, crouching should be the proper order of stamina recovery. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I see it.

Anyhow, with that said, I think that there should be a resting mode for quickly regaining stamina, where you just sit on the ground and take off your gear and put away your weapon. It's good for taking a quick 30 second break after sprinting your stamina out to escape enemy fire. It should take two or three seconds to recover from resting, as you have to get up and put everything back on. Whaddaya guys think?

kungpaosamuraiii

HOVER TANKS
Mar 31, 2002
Cali
I think crouching and not moving should be that little rest thing. I do it a lot.. think: Asian people taking a dump in the streets.

Walking should be the quickest recovery since you're not supposed to stand still after a grueling (or any) work out. Prone should be the slowest since it's hard to breathe and recover.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
Umm, scud are you sure that's how it works in the game? Also, are you refering to vanilla, rav2, or ra286? I might have to check again, but I have never noticed my stamia to recharge at different rates depending on my position.

Conglomera

Proud Toilet Cleaner
Sep 7, 2001
Algiers, Algeria
At least, crawling and walk-ducking should decrease stamina much more than sprinting... Sprinting 50m is obviously easier and less tiring than crawling or walking like duck the same distance.

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
the only thing that ive got to bitch about in the current inf stamina system is that in vanilla it drains to slowly and that you recover too slowly (the latter being applicable to all the mutators - RAv2, RA286.). i mean, if you can sprint like that inf guy, i think that at the appropriate speed you can outrun michael johnson (the guy with those golden nikes?).... sprinting is meant to be something you can use to run for your life, not a marathon. ive got no problem with walking or jogging, the stamina seems quite natural for that. but recovery is just a joke. after a 100m sprint, it seriously only takes about 30sec-1min to recover enough to run or walk for a while. but in reality recovery from fatigue is really logarthmic (spelling?), where you can get to 'normal mode' from being wasted in about 1-2mins then about 5-10mins to get to optimum condition. but i cant say what that turns into when you take gear into account. and no offence scuddie, but taking off gear in battle (especially 5-6min 'missions' like the ones in inf) is pretty dumb... it also takes ages to get that webbing on with gear... with nothing in, just the pouches, and those straps that put some of the weight on your shoulder take about 20secs-1min to get off. now add combat vest, magazine pouches, etc etc and the magazines actually inside that gear and you can imagine how long it takes to get that stuff on and off. like i said before, its just dumb on the part of the soldier to do that...

and my problem with the proning thing - why is proning the quietest way of getting around?! i mean it should be like RvS or GR, where it is the loudest.... having all your clothes scrape the ground is definately gonna be louder than just boots.

jayhova

Don't hate me because I'm pretty
Feb 19, 2002
Houston Texas
www.flex.net
Conglomera said:
At least, crawling and walk-ducking should decrease stamina much more than sprinting... Sprinting 50m is obviously easier and less tiring than crawling or walking like duck the same distance.

I think the problem here is that there is no distinction between winded and tired. Sprinting is an anaerobic exercise while duck crawling is aerobic. Sprinting forces you to breath much harder and you heart to beat faster to return the depleted oxygen to you muscles.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
jayhova said:
I think the problem here is that there is no distinction between winded and tired. Sprinting is an anaerobic exercise while duck crawling is aerobic. Sprinting forces you to breath much harder and you heart to beat faster to return the depleted oxygen to you muscles.
That's not quite correct. ANY exercise that continues after the body has depleted ATP stores is aerobic. Sprinting is usually anaerobic because you are rested before you start sprinting, and you only sprint for a short time (stopping before the body uses up all the ATP).

I do agree the stamina recovery should work differently than it does ingame. It doesn't take long at all to recover enough to jog slowly. It takes much longer to be able to sprint very quickly. A slow jog is something that a well conditioned soldier can do for a long time. Sprinting is very tiring though.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
I like the way RaV2 does it.

First half of the bar is slightly tired and it recovers quickly. Second half of the bar is winded and it recovers more slowly. I think that's how it works.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
spm1138 said:
I like the way RaV2 does it.

First half of the bar is slightly tired and it recovers quickly. Second half of the bar is winded and it recovers more slowly. I think that's how it works.
It takes too long to recover back to a slow jog. A slow jog is almost always possible unless you are extremely fatigued. Also, stamina should have more effects like making shooting more difficult.

The first part of the stamina bar should recover quickly, the last part should recover more slowly. Also being significantly winded should make shooting more difficult.

Dr.J

Staying Alive.
Nov 25, 2001
Hong Kong
www.alkdjflakdjfksj.com
vanilla inf does make aiming a very hard thing to do when your stamina is near zero. that figure 8 weapon bob is huge when youre tired... but i think that it should be more up and down bobbing and much quicker than it is now.

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
I think crouching should help recover quickest. When you're exhausted, you tend to lean forward and relax your chest... it's a natural response, as opposed to standing straight. I'm guessing this is so your diaphram moves more horizontal than vertical but I ain't a doctor so dunno.

I have no idea why lying on your chest and restricting it's movement with all that heavy gear strapped to your back should increase rate of recovery :p

Also, I think it should take longer to reload when you're knackered - the hands don't move so well when tired, or cold etc.

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
OICW said:
Actually, I believe the diaphram works best when you're fully upright, which should mean that standing up recovers stamina most quickly, then crouched and prone is slower.
hes correct. Also, if you took your pack with all those constraining straps, you could recover faster.

danielout

Oct 25, 2003
keihaswarrior said:
hes correct. Also, if you took your pack with all those constraining straps, you could recover faster.

I think there should be a feature that allows you to take off your gear, get out a folding chair, and setup a campfire. This would relax you the most, and i promise that smores and roasted hotdogs allow optimal stamina regen. =D

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
Well, like I said... I'm no doctor :p

But I would like to know why do we always lean forward and rest our hands on our knees after running 10 miles? This is not standing upright.

Maybe it is to improve circulation?

Most of the animal kingdom have their torsos lying horizontal. We are an exception, and we don't have the stamina of other creatures which suggests we have a less than desireable anatomy.

====
Re: Winded

Some others have mentioned this but they seem to have classed it as extreme-exhaustion which it is not.

Now a practical experience: I remember being winded from a severe blow to the whole of my back. That is, having the wind knocked out of me; having the air knocked out of my lungs. It's a very painful situation to be in! :(

I did stand up but the pain brought me straight back down and I was on my hands and knees acting like some spastic trying to take gasps of air and somehow not being able to do that.

It is the complete opposite of exhaustion or accelerated breathing. It has nothing to do with over-exerting oneself and if the game attempts to reproduce the effects of being "winded" then I think the character should be almost completely helpless while he recovers.

Being winded does not affect your stamina in the same way as exhaustion. Once you get your lungs working again, everything is OK.

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
I've seen people flop on the ground after races or even light up. That doesn't mean that they know what the best way to recover is.

Also, when you say that animals have more endurance than us, that is dead out wrong. Humans are one of the best long distance land travelers on the planet. A fit human will always beat a horse in a long distance race because the horse will get tired very fast.

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
keihaswarrior said:
... when you say that animals have more endurance than us, that is dead out wrong. Humans are one of the best long distance land travelers on the planet. A fit human will always beat a horse in a long distance race because the horse will get tired very fast.
Superman, I have news for you, I don't know anyone who could outrun a horse in any fair race.

An example of a horse endurance ride is covering 100 miles in 24 hours, through the Sierra Nevada mountains (source)

They aren't sprinting and the horses' health are checked periodically throughout the event but to be fair they are racing, so if you can cover more than 100 miles, without slowing to a walk, I'll gracefully accept defeat.

However, 100 miles in 24 hours (+/- 4mph) isn't as fast as I would have expected. I reckon there must be a host of animals that can better that.

Perhaps you would rather test your stamina against that of a poodle?

Last edited:

keihaswarrior

Jan 7, 2003
Seattle
keihaswarrior.home.icq
100 miles in 24 hours is a ****ing piece of cake.

I have walked 40miles in 8 hours without breaking a sweat. 100 in 24 isn't so hard at all.

Furthemore, those horses that did that are the top of the breed. A fair comparison would be against an olympic runner. Olympic runners do 26 miles in 2 hours. They'd kick that horse's ass easily.

*ahem, back ontopic
INF needs to make stamina drain quickly at first, then very slowly. Recovery is fast at first, then slower to get to full stam.

stormbind[UK]

Nov 12, 2003
It's not off-topic; posture vs endurance is very much on-topic.

I said without slowing to a walking pace. Walking is too efficient and you're not stressing the diaphram which is the emphasis.

I've never even considered jogging 100 miles - it just *seems* implausible but you could be right. If I never tried, how am I supposed to know.

I've never tried to walk 100 miles, but I have walked for 24 hours (in circles - was a bad night, lol)

Recovery is fast at first, then slower to get to full stam.
Yup. There's those moments when the body feels fine but the lungs are still working out.