PDA

View Full Version : Barton core is the dud

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 09:23 AM
Just picked up a xp2500 Barton core cause I was told they are sooo OC`able, sheet yea right!!
The stinking thing will hardly do 2ghz!! I can only go to 200fsb if I drop the multiplyer to 10.
Temps were 10 degrees hotter with the xp2500 too.
With the xp1700 in there I can leave the stock multiplyer of 11 and run the fsb all the way up to 214mhz for over 2.3GHz.
at exactly the same clock speeds of 200fsb x 10 multiplyer for both, the xp2500 does out perform the xp1700 only slightly (by under 200 3DMARKS and 4fps in the UT intro movie) but it quickly runs out of speed. I don`t think the xp2500 is worth nearly twice the price of the xp1700. Yes, it is faster, but the xp1700 can easly outperform it if pushed alittle bit.
Best system for the price right now I think is the Abit NF7-S combo`d with the XP1700 and some quality memory....it will out perform faster machines and for less money.

SpiritWalker
7th Aug 2003, 11:15 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!

you need.. ohhhhhh never mind...

BTW.. what happened to your Sharkys OC link?? get kicked

oosyxxx
7th Aug 2003, 11:20 AM
LOL!!!!!!!!

That orangish LOL!!!!!!! reminds me of Charlie Brown for some reason.

SpiritWalker
7th Aug 2003, 11:45 AM
heh.. smart man

oosyxxx
7th Aug 2003, 11:53 AM
heh.. smart man

I'm smart? All RIGHT!

SpiritWalker
7th Aug 2003, 12:08 PM
check out The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown.. you shall see..

you did make the connection.. kinda like "the forest for the trees" deal

Ulukai
7th Aug 2003, 12:40 PM
My car has a quoted maximum speed of 125 mph.

I heard from some retarded lepers at the side of the road that it would do 150!!! The other day I was on a straight bit of road and it wouldn't do 150mph!!!

What a rip off! I'm taking it back!!!!

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 12:41 PM
just kicked out of the 1st place I was in...still in the top 2 2k3 bench with an Athlon and 3rd place in the 2k3 unlimited class. Those guys are ruthless! :p

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 12:51 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!

:lol:
LMAO!!!!
You`re going to tell me how to overclock and tweak...:lol:
Help! I`ve fallen on the floor from laughter and I can`t get up!!! :lol:

Tonnberry
7th Aug 2003, 12:58 PM
OMG these threads are totally: http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/forum/html//emoticons/w.gif http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/forum/html//emoticons/w.gif http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/forum/html//emoticons/w.gif

oosyxxx
7th Aug 2003, 01:11 PM
OMG these threads are totally: http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/forum/html//emoticons/w.gif http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/forum/html//emoticons/w.gif http://unrealed.planet-multiplayer.de/forum/html//emoticons/w.gif

That headbanging dude needs the Kevin DuBrow wig.

Ulukai
7th Aug 2003, 01:19 PM
http://www.rock-n-radio.com/interviews/quiet_riot/kevin.jpg

Twrecks
7th Aug 2003, 02:33 PM
heh

SpiritWalker
7th Aug 2003, 02:47 PM
:lol:
LMAO!!!!
You`re going to tell me how to overclock and tweak...:lol:
Help! I`ve fallen on the floor from laughter and I can`t get up!!! :lol:

heh.. I wouldn't tell you how to do anything.

Your the guy that went how long without viewing Java because you were too stu.. ermm didn't think to get the Sun version.

Your the guy that said to hackr to make all users Admins of his LAN, to access files across his network.

You were the guy that said a glitchy video card sounded like a power supply problem, before you even mentioned the driver of the newly installed card

Your the guy that says that you can tweak and tweak.. whooopeeee, you can prolly tweak better than me.. but like I have said many time.. I don't try to.. I know how to.. but for what purpose? My machines run like silk.
I have the 3K Barton running @ 2.43 right now.. and has been for weeks.. no problems.. I could run it up higher.. but why? there is no difference other than a meaningless score.
But you go for it.. continue your mastrubation.. have fun.. but it's just mastrabation.. good for very little other than pleasing your self for a few minutes.. but for you.. prolly seconds..

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 03:20 PM
Yep, I`m the guy who did it all on his own...
without a lick of schooling,
without a degree,
without tech school,
without YOU!!! :lol:

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 03:23 PM
by the way...you break 2000 on the GF4 Ti4600 with that running like silk OC`d barton on the 3DMARK03 yet??

OO7MIKE
7th Aug 2003, 04:13 PM
Rukee, you have to understand that the xp2500 is the cheepo model of the barton most likely it's simply made for it's own core speeds rather than a chip that failed higher specifications and was later rated xp 2500 rather than xp 2800 it could have been tested for.

The xp 2500 333 runs at 1.8ghz. The xp 2600 266 runs at 2.1ghz and yet the xp 2500 out performs it hands down. Why? Its a barton core...more speed at less mhz.

Im pretty sure the point of overclocking is to obtain higher performance rather than just higher mhz rating.
The 2ghz celron can go up to 3.2ghz easy yet it only obtains the performance of a 2.2ghz p4. Yeah it's a hell of an overclocker but the performance sucks ass.

The amd xp 3000 can do 2.8ghz pretty well, possibly better with your set up. Even at 2.8ghz it totally smokes the p4 3.2ghz chip. It's a mean overclocker as long as you nab the 400mhz fsb version.

Why 400mhz fsb insted of 333mhz? Wont that leave me less room to overclock?

No, It runs faster and stable at 400mhz to begin with. This means its more likely to run more stable at a higher fsb than the 333mhz version would. If you have problems achieving a higher overclock then i would suggest unlocking the chip.

An xp 1700 isnt a bargan chip if it costs your $500 for the cooling unit to get it up to 2.3ghz. Insted it makes more sense to spend $260 on the xp 2800 that out performs the overclocked xp 1700 right out of the box.

The point of this information is that an overclock is ment to gain speed...not to mesure just how far you can push it mhz wise. If you are into that, then i recomend a p4 3ghz chip. They can go to well over 4ghz easy and they have way more speed than an amd chip could ever dish.

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 04:33 PM
setting up both chips at 200fsb x 10 multiplyer..
Test platform:
NF7-S Ver.2.0
200fsb x 10 multiplyer @ 1.8v on air cooling
OCZ PC3500EL in-sync
MSI GF Ti4600
XP2500 Barton core
XP1700 T-Bred core
No VC OC`ing
No windows tweaks or killing services
Ran three 2001se benchmarks in a row default settings then ran UT intro movie at 1024x768 32bit openGL, rebooted, ran the same tests again, results follow..
XP2500 @ 2000MHz
1st boot run
UT @ 135fps

2nd boot run
UT @ 135fps

XP1700 @ 2000MHz

1st boot run
UT @ 131fps

2nd boot run
UT @ 131fps

Problem was the XP2500 was about maxxed out @ 2000MHz. I had to drop the multiplyer to 10 just to get it to boot up @ 200fsb with 1.8v. And it wouldn`t run any benchs @ 205fsb. It will do 2100MHz on a lower fsb.
The XP1700 on the other hand was able to dial right up to 213fsb by 11 multiplyer @ 1.8v for 2332MHz. Benchs at those settings follows:
XP1700 @ 2334
1st boot run
UT @ 141fps

2nd boot run
UT @ 141fps
It looks to me at the same speed the Barton does do alittle better. Not as much as I would like to have seen tho. Too bad that this Barton can`t keep up to the same clock speeds as the T-Bred, would like to see some higher #s from it.

hackr86
7th Aug 2003, 04:39 PM
http://www.djmallon.com/upload/herecomesflames.jpg

OO7MIKE
7th Aug 2003, 04:41 PM
Buy a faster Barton.

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 04:48 PM
hahaha
not right now anyway. I`m gunna play around with this one and maybe even freeze it in the Vapochill and see what it does in there. But not for a bit yet.

OO7MIKE
7th Aug 2003, 04:49 PM
You guys are not helping.
Contribute to the thread or F U C K O F F.

The tests where good Rukee and you provided lots of info to support your statements. However your generalizing that the Barton core is a dude is pushing it a bit far. I would go an test the other 3 barton flavors (xp 2800, 3000, 3200) before going so far as to say such a thing.

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 04:52 PM
yes, agreed, I should have said "my Barton core is a poor OC`r" :D:tup:

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 04:54 PM
I might buy another chip next week, we`ll see what happens.

SpiritWalker
7th Aug 2003, 06:25 PM
by the way...you break 2000 on the GF4 Ti4600 with that running like silk OC`d barton on the 3DMARK03 yet??

nope.. ran it once to see what the game demos looked like.. then uninstalled it.. like I said.. don't care.. And even if I did.. there are so many ways to cheat.. wither way.. invalid test

Rukee
7th Aug 2003, 10:22 PM
you complained before tweaking your system you could only get 1400ish on your Ti4600 card. Now you are saying you tweaked out your system and only ran the bench once??:con:
yeah, everyone else must be cheating! :rolleyes:
you`re better off uninstalling it!! :D

SpiritWalker
8th Aug 2003, 12:17 AM
agin.. my computers run just fine.. no need to go any further...
and yes plenty of people cheat on benchmarks.. so IMO.. why bother.. I run it.. do a base line comparision to see where I am at.. that's it

Twrecks
8th Aug 2003, 12:18 AM
Hmm... I thought the Barton chip was a 333 fsb chip while the 1700 was a 266. With the right mobo the 2500 is better, especially if you can do the dual channel RAM. And is your Barton the one with 256 or 128 cache? There are many flavas.

Rukee
8th Aug 2003, 07:42 AM
agin.. my computers run just fine.. no need to go any further...
and yes plenty of people cheat on benchmarks.. so IMO.. why bother.. I run it.. do a base line comparision to see where I am at.. that's it
Fine...then NEVER post in another benchmarking/tech thread started by me again!!
We all know EXACTLY how you feel.
Unless you just enjoy making yourself look like an ass with every tech thread I start! :rolleyes:

Hmm... I thought the Barton chip was a 333 fsb chip while the 1700 was a 266. With the right mobo the 2500 is better, especially if you can do the dual channel RAM. And is your Barton the one with 256 or 128 cache? There are many flavas.
It is the 333fsb with the 512 on die cashe. And I`m running the DDR in dual channel.
In the BIOS there is an option to pick xp2500\user defined\or xp3200. I can get it to run as a xp3200 but I have to feed it alot of voltage (2.06v) and run a hand lapped Valcano 6 heat sink with a custom made 120mm case fan on it. I am able to get it up to 233fsb by dropping the mulitplyer again to 9.5 and unbeivably, the memory is running @n 466!! :eek:

SpiritWalker
8th Aug 2003, 10:01 AM
dude.. you don't post tech threads.. youi post stuff like "The Barton is a dud" But with no real reasoning behind what you say, just what you think.

And then you are turned around by Mike.. and say "Ohhhh I see the light." Your tech threads are as nutty as your idea to make mad cash over your invention.

You made the claim.. Mikey proved that you were wrong.. your whole statment was just plain goofy, and uninformed.
I though about it.. but that would be educating you again.. and Mike is head and shoulders above me in hardware, so I just sat back and waited for the ownage to roll in.

EDIT:
btw..if pointing out were you are "mistaken" makes me an ass.. I can live with that.. when have you had to correct me? Aside from a typo? If you just really knew what you talked about.. I would leave you alone.. but you don't.. and try to play it off like you do.... pretty simple.

Rukee
8th Aug 2003, 10:57 AM
STFU!!
I backed up everything I said. Unlike you! :rolleyes:
I know more about hardware and tweaking\OC`ing then you ever will.
Look at the test results...when OC`d to the exact same speeds, the Barton score only slightly better, 200 points and 4fps, but it`s almost twice the price.
Plus if you factor in the xp1700 is actualy OC`d farther (1.47 @ 2000 vs 1.83 @ 2000) it makes the xp1700 look even better. That`s why I called the Barton a dud....and was able to back it up with tests. Unlike any claim you have made...Mr. 3.20GHz for an hour! :lol:
Now, leave the thread already!!

SpiritWalker
8th Aug 2003, 12:02 PM
but again.. look at YOUR barton...

I never said that you can't overclock and tweak.. I can just as easily do the same.. but why bother.. I did.. "wow.. neato".. backed it back down.. you claim I didn't/can't.. I don't care.. my record speaks for it'self.. as does yours..

I can back up anything I say.. I just don't bother backing up squat to you.

and again.. yes I ran mine up to 3.2.. backed it right back down..

and when you can tell me what to do.. I still wouldn't. 'tard..

Rukee
8th Aug 2003, 12:30 PM
Dude...Grow up!!
You really need to address that whole hate thing you got going on!
That`s the diffrence between you and me...even with everything that`s happened between us, if you had a car question thread, i would bend over to answer your question as to the best of my ability to get you past the car problem as quick as I could and not even think twice about it, cause I don`t have your hate problem.
That`s what`s so great about the OC`ing/mod`ing community too, they are realy cool. They don`t mind answering questions, no matter what the question or who it came from, and there is no hate. No-one puts themselves above another or acts so arogent....that`s why you`ll never fit in with benchmarking and hardware tweaking...so just give it up and go away!!

OO7MIKE
8th Aug 2003, 01:31 PM
I was thinking of upgrading to the xp 2500 from my xp 1900. There will definately an increase in speed. I simply cant wait for the xp 2800 to go down in price so ill just nab the xp 2500.

hackr86
8th Aug 2003, 01:54 PM
i love reading this deleted posts!

Mxtrmntr
8th Aug 2003, 03:15 PM
lol

Zarkazm
8th Aug 2003, 04:22 PM
Don't you mean :lol:?

SpiritWalker
8th Aug 2003, 06:02 PM
Dude...Grow up!!
You really need to address that whole hate thing you got going on!

Just hate you, and it really isn't hate.. just more like a sad shaking of the head...

That`s the diffrence between you and me...

is that I know what I am talking about.. and that you get your jollies off by tweaking.. but when you try talking about "what's good and what's bad".. your opinions are poorly informed

even with everything that`s happened between us,

what's happened is that you and your troubleshooting has cause far more harm than good. YOU shouldn't be helping people.

if you had a car question thread, i would bend over to answer your question as to the best of my ability to get you past the car problem as quick as I could and not even think twice about it,

what would you "not think twice" about? My question? Thanks, but I want people to think about my questions. But anytime someone says "this is why you are mistaken Rukee", fly off the handel.. explaining why you are actually right.. you flame and distort what they say.. my first post to this thread was basically.. you don't know what you are talking about. First Clue: Barton 2500

i would bend over to answer your question as to the best of my ability

dude.. I spent 2+hrs on the phone with one of us LAST NIGHT til almost 3 helping with networking.. but even I have to sleep.. I get people that call me and email me all the time.. nothing to brag about.. being helpful and "doing onto others" doesn't mean sound your own freaking horn so loud that people who don't want to hear it.. don't.

cause I don`t have your hate problem.

to paraphase Henry Rollins

life is short, get off as much as you can. Have passion, if you love someone LOVE them.. if your going to hate someone HATE them.. but don't come to my dinner table without an opinion, because that will be a lously conversation

That`s what`s so great about the OC`ing/mod`ing community too, they are realy cool.

excuse me... is this an overclocking commmunity?

They don`t mind answering questions,

I will answer any questions from most people here as soon as I possibly can.. just not yours.. well at least not answer the stupid/ill informed statments.. which.. well.. that's pretty much 80% of them

no matter what the question or who it came from, and there is no hate. No-one puts themselves above another or acts so arogent....

I am only arrogantwhen it comes to you and one other.. and again.. I prolly really don't hate you.. more like pity....

that`s why you`ll never fit in with benchmarking and hardware tweaking...so just give it up and go away!!

heh.. I never claimed to want to fit in there.. but you do post on a board I frequequent under another name... and trust me.. a few people there think you are a tard as well....

Zarkazm
8th Aug 2003, 06:17 PM
Go on, you rock!

Rukee
8th Aug 2003, 06:24 PM
Dude...you`re a joke!! :lol:

SpiritWalker
8th Aug 2003, 07:35 PM
ouch!!
/me is feeling sucidial from Rukee's sharp wit..

sharp as a marshmellow

bobtheking
8th Aug 2003, 07:37 PM
how often do you restart rukee? due to changing all the frequencies i mean.

darth_weasel
8th Aug 2003, 07:44 PM
i still have my 486 machine sitting out in the garage

you all = owned

end of discussion :)

Rukee
8th Aug 2003, 08:53 PM
how often do you restart rukee? due to changing all the frequencies i mean.
just changing frequencies??:con:
I change alot more then just that! :p
The laptop and two other machines never get rebooted, or hardly anyway.
The benching machine gets reboot very often. Everytime I try a new frequency, or a diffrent set of memory, or video card, or HD with OS, or diffrent processor chip, or a diffrent heat sink fan combo. It is constantly getting restarted. That machine realy only has one job in life....and that`s to let me kill it!! :p

I was thinking of upgrading to the xp 2500 from my xp 1900. There will definately an increase in speed. I simply cant wait for the xp 2800 to go down in price so ill just nab the xp 2500.
Try to get one with the steppings AQXDA they seem to do the best.

PsychoMoggieBagpuss
11th Aug 2003, 07:34 AM
i love reading this deleted posts!

Same here :D

SpiritWalker
11th Aug 2003, 11:02 AM
well... wish you guys would share..

PsychoMoggieBagpuss
11th Aug 2003, 04:40 PM
That would be like attempting to put out a fire with gasoline...........

JTRipper
12th Aug 2003, 02:48 AM
However your generalizing that the Barton core is a dude is pushing it a bit far.

You can never make assumptions about dudeness around here.

militaryspetproject
12th Aug 2003, 11:02 AM
should have known Rukee and Sw would be argueing in here.

SpiritWalker
12th Aug 2003, 11:06 AM
there wasn't any argument.. he was mistaken

Rukee
12th Aug 2003, 12:03 PM
as were you for thinking you could come into a tech thread started by me without you looking like an ass!! :lol:

I made a claim that the barton was a dud...backed it up with side by side comparison test and benchs well layed out. Showed why I thought the xp1700 was a better buy right now. You have provided nothing in the way of tech thread related info...you have not performed any side by side tests or benchs to prove me wrong, or make a claim of your own....
I just love the way you take lines out of context and rip on them... :lol:
That`s some talent!
Too bad you can`t read the whole thing and absorb what the total meaning is as well. :rolleyes:

SpiritWalker
12th Aug 2003, 12:28 PM
actually.. you yourself fixed your poorley informed mistake after Mike pointed out the big differences with your 2500 Barton.. and others.. when you said the Barton is a dud..

and I have made claims of my own... I claim you are a 'tard with a little skill.. who likes to proclaim a bunch of stuff.. without knowing the full extent of what you say. You have been here almost as long as I .. and people look to you for help with a bunch of hardware.. but quite often .. your answers to them are grossly over stated, or just plain mis guided...just look at the your reply to Btl in that other thread.. "oh.. I was just trying to help".. I would be willing to bet you hadn't even READ the page the Btl linked to.

And show me one comment that was of a specific point that I took out of context. Do you even know the meaning of the word?
You would go alot farther in the world if you would spend as much time researching your facts as you do talking about stuff you think you know.

ohhh..

and BTW..

just to set the record straight....

you

are

a

'tard

Rukee
12th Aug 2003, 12:30 PM
You guys are not helping.
Contribute to the thread or F U C K O F F.

SpiritWalker
12th Aug 2003, 12:32 PM
heh.. quoted Mike cause you couldn't spell that "dirty word"?

Rukee
12th Aug 2003, 12:35 PM
no...just repeating what was said earler.

SpiritWalker
12th Aug 2003, 12:37 PM
by someone whit more talent and computer skill left behind on his toliet paper than you have all together... good job.. very orginal...

/me fears that he is so owned....

Rukee
12th Aug 2003, 12:42 PM
your just pissed cause I was able to learn my computer skillz myself and you needed to go to school for it.
and no amount of posts from you will ever change that fact.

SpiritWalker
12th Aug 2003, 12:45 PM
your just pissed cause I was able to learn my computer skillz myself and you nrrdrd to go to school for it.
and no amount of posts from you will ever change that fact.

LOLOLolololl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh.. oppss...

lol

Rukee
12th Aug 2003, 12:50 PM
gee, not smart enough to see it was corrected BEFORE you posted huh??
Too bad.

SpiritWalker
12th Aug 2003, 01:01 PM
nope.. just say that you were keeping up with your present spelling habits.. in a post where that you made reference similiar to "Ohh.. you are only so smart cause you went to school."

either eay you still posted that.. yeah went back and corrected your mistake.. like you have to do on so many other occasions.... /me sadly shakes head side to side...

I found that to be extremely funny...

militaryspetproject
12th Aug 2003, 01:06 PM
Hey lets take bets on how long it takes bangy to lock this thread.

Rukee
12th Aug 2003, 01:07 PM
yeah, make fun of a typo...not the post.:tup:

OO7MIKE
12th Aug 2003, 01:39 PM
Rukee did admit that he worded it wrongly....Im not sure why he deleted that post since it would never have gotten out of hand if he left it there.