PDA

View Full Version : Fighting games on the PC?

tool
5th Aug 2003, 07:59 PM
I'm just curious, how many of you would want to see games like Mortal Kombat: Deadly alliance, Soul Calibur 2, and Virtua fighter 4 on the PC? I think game developers who do fighting games need to take notice that the PC is a good platform for fighting games too. We got joysticks, controllers, keyboards, mice, everything you would need to play a fighting game just fine on the PC, better even then on the game consoles, which is what fighting games have generally always been on.

what do the rest of you guys think? good idea? bad? discuss and wank it. :B

ZenPirate
5th Aug 2003, 08:03 PM
It's a bit more fun beating your friend's arse on a big tv screen from your couch, as opposed to a 15" monitor screen

El Diablo
5th Aug 2003, 08:26 PM
Yeah this idea isn't very good actually...

it's a lot more fun going to an arade and beating your friends ass in front of a bunch of other people on a huge TV with big loud speakers.

KJAX
5th Aug 2003, 08:33 PM
One Must Fall: Battlegrounds will be coming to the PC in the coming months. I remember playing the original game back in the day. It was actually a rather good fighting game.

Clayeth
5th Aug 2003, 08:47 PM
games like that are only really fun against your friend in person, either on console or arcade. There's no reason for them on the pc. online play isn't the same, and it's much easier doing multiplayer together on a console.

Gundato
5th Aug 2003, 08:51 PM
yeah. you can download freeware fighting games, but the fighting game genre itself is more suited towards face to face gaming (and imagine the lag :p)

Nickelass
5th Aug 2003, 09:14 PM
i like Mortal Combat and would play it if a ve5rsion came out for PC. since i suck so much at it i would never play it against other people anyway, and i also have a 17" monitor and only have a 13" TV in my room.

Gundato
5th Aug 2003, 09:41 PM
Nickelass. i know the first 2 at least came out for the PC (still have them on me old 486 :p)

tool
5th Aug 2003, 10:14 PM
games like that are only really fun against your friend in person, either on console or arcade. There's no reason for them on the pc. online play isn't the same, and it's much easier doing multiplayer together on a console.

I completely disagree there, and I think you are missing the point. Not everyone wants a console, theres the better graphics quality of course, and also with internet support you can play it whenever you want against someone, where currently on the consoles its just with friends you know, and that cant be done anytime you want. I think fighting games can have their place on the PC. People just need to get over the thought that fighting games are only good on the consoles, kinda like how first person shooters are only good on the PC, Halo proved that wrong.

I just want to see a game like Mortal Kombat: Deadly alliance come to the PC and see what would really happen in terms of sales and how the game plays on the PC. We will never really know until we actually see a current fighting game get a port over to the PC.

Wild Weasel
5th Aug 2003, 11:29 PM
When you play with a friend and kick his ass, you can grind it into his face. If it was on a computer, you would either have to type it in or phone him up. The latter of which he could hang up in your face.

I'd rather grind it in right to his face, get a kick out of his reaction and his usage of every vulgar word know to man :D

El Diablo
5th Aug 2003, 11:35 PM
What iddiot ever said FPS games were only good on PC??

Original9
5th Aug 2003, 11:37 PM
Nickelass. i know the first 2 at least came out for the PC (still have them on me old 486 :p)

Third too. Which is all I can find. :(

DeDpoet|BuF
6th Aug 2003, 11:16 AM
fighting games seem to be so much more fun when played with an audience (friends). Nice big tv + couches. i'm not coming down on pc-fighting titles, but I personally have more fun on the console with plenty of lounge space for my compadres.

Gundato
6th Aug 2003, 11:24 AM
yeah. and remember, there is always emulation :D. So if you get desperate, just pray to your god that you can find an emulator for the system of your choice :D

[Bean]
6th Aug 2003, 11:27 AM
soul calibur 2 + net-play would = badass

Renegade Retard
6th Aug 2003, 12:04 PM
....and also with internet support you can play it whenever you want against someone, where currently on the consoles its just with friends you know, and that cant be done anytime you want.

See "XBox Live", etc.

And yes, KJAX, I remember a bunch of us guys in college huddled around a PC taking turns playing One Must Fall. Those were the days....