I'm about to complete my new case mod: Drive bay "veil"; prices and howto inside

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Ok, I hit a Hobby Lobby today to get all the stuff for my veil mod.

Just to recap, the idea is to create a non-permanent, non-case damaging veil (piece of cloth) to cover the drive bays. It is easily removeable, for whenever you are transporting to lan parties and such, and does not harm the case or drives in any way.

One little note before we start - you or someone you know will need sewing skills. :)

Here's the materials you will need, according to my current "beta 1" plan.

1/2 yard of dark red Taffeta material (you don't need that much of it, so if you can get less, go for it) = $2.50
25 lbs. rated giant suction cup wreath holder (25lbs is overkill, but very effective) = $1.99
18" cable necklace (chain)= 1.48
12" 1/8 dowels (20 pack) = $1.49
(Optional) Square dome nickel nailheads (14 pack) = $1.19

Total cost = $8.65, without tax.

And, here's the generalized plan for assembly:

The cloth material should be cut for about 7.5 inches width, or whatever the width of your case is. It should actually be cut a little wider, because you will more than likely have to sew the sides over in order to hide ugly stray material. Length is up to you, however much you want the front of your case covered. Make sure you leave a little extra, as you will be sewing the bottom up as well as sewing a loop at the top for the suspension. You can, alternatively, make a loop at the bottom for another dowel rod, to keep the veil straight.

Take one of your dowel rods, and cut it at the desired length. It only needs to be long enough to stay hidden - it will be inside the small loop in the veil. However, don't make it too short, or the cloth will be pulled up on the sides. Do the same if you plan to have a dowel rod in the bottom too.

Slide the dowel rod into the upper loop (and lower, if applicable). Currently, I'm not 100% sure how to keep the dowel rod from being pushed out easily, however I will think of something before I finalize the plan. *UPDATED* You can sew the dowel rods in. Just make sure you leave enough of a hole in the top loop for the chain.

Now, you need to take the chain necklace, and loop it through the top loop with the dowel rod. Close the necklace's loop.

Attach the suction cup to the top of the case, in the center and have the hook of the cup about 3 to 3 and 3/8 inches from the front of the case.

Now, you can hang the chain on the hook of the suction cup. Voila! You are done.

Also, if you wish to decorate your veil (for instance, I am putting those little dome thingies down the sides), you can find a lot of stuff at just about any large hobby shop. Also, if you are interested in spikes, you can get some nice ones here: http://www.fiendorfaux.com/spikes.htm - However, screw on spikes will require you to cut holes in your veil in order to accomodate them. For my dome thingies, all you have to do is press them through the cloth and fold the edges over (Works like a 4 sided staple). Earrings would probably work too.

And that's how you do it. When you need access to the drives, just lift the veil. Alternatively, if you use some form of adhesive, you can take a small pully wheel, attach it to the top of the case, and wrap the chain around it. That way you can turn the veil to the side easily.

So, any suggestions or fill-ins? I'll try to finish it ASAP and post pictures of the final results, however I have to wait on my mother to do the sewing for me.

Last edited: