Release: LibHTTP v100

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
A lot of mod developers want their mod to get some data from a
webserver to be used in their mod. Retreiving a document from a
webserver can be relative easy. But there are quite some things you
have to account for that a lot of people didn't do.
So I decided to write general purpose library for accessing data
available on webservers. Keeping in mind all the possible issues that
might surface, so that mod developers using this library can keep
their focus on their mod.

This first release features the following classes:

* HttpSock
A TCP socket for retreving documents from a website. HttpSock
supports:
- GET/POST support
- Transparent redirecting (automatically follow redirects)
- Basic Authentication
- Header management
- Cookie management
- HTTP Proxy

* HttpCookies
The cookie manager that can be used with HttpSock

* HttpUtil
Static commonly used functions, including Base64 encode/decode
routines

* NewsFeed
A RSS\RDF parser. You can use this to parse the RSS\RDF data
retreived with a HttpSock

For complete documentation and examples visit the UnrealWiki:
http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/LibHTTP

For a direct download:
http://www.drunksnipers.com/files/ut2003/LibHTTPv100.zip

CodePig

Apr 22, 2003
wow! that's awesome!

i've been thinking about XML support. i'm still riding the learning curve though, so it takes me 3 times as long to do anything. if either of you beat me to it, i won't be disappointed ;)

codepig

Mychaeel

...because you'd need XSL support to have it visually rendered; that's unless you mean to use XML only as a data storage format.

Actually the HTML parser and formatter I'm currently working on would even support floating boxes (where text flows around) and tables, unlike the one used in Screen for Unreal Tournament.

Mychaeel

When (or "if," but hopefully the former) I release Screen 2003, it'll be for everybody's use.

I don't think that I'll put it under the [L]GPL as El Muerte did with LibHTTP, but almost certainly under exactly the same conditions I released Screen and other things: Free for noncommercial use, ask for commercial use, and give me credit if you use it.

...but I actually didn't mean to hijack El Muerte's thread. ;)

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Mychaeel said:
...because you'd need XSL support to have it visually rendered; that's unless you mean to use XML only as a data storage format.
That's not the only thing, even for only data storage XML will add a lot of overhead.
XML is as the name says Extensible, it relies on DTDs for it's format specification. So you first should parse the DTD and validate the XML according to the DTD, then store the data found in the XML document as the DTD specifies it.
If you are just going to ignore the DTDs you are doing nothing more than writing an SGML parser.