Max texture alignment question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
I’m using a UVW modifier to align a texture on a single mesh.
How exactly do you go about aligning the texture on each face separately? I already set individual ID’s for each face before even adding the UVW.

I guess where I’m confused is: Where in the UVW modifier is the option to move an individual ID-face before adding any modifiers?

I know I could probably just add a select mesh modifier to get back to the face sub object level again, but then how do I use the UVW at the same time while in the face mode?
All I’m trying to do is align my textures on my mesh kind of like was done in the old UT days?

Attachments

• uvw_se.jpg
    uvw_se.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 25

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Select the mesh and select UnwrapUVW from the modifiers list. Activate the modifier (Select Faces). You can now select faces to be mapped, so select whichever ones you want, click Planar Map (on the right toolbar after selecting the modifier) and then click Edit - also on the right toolbar. A new window will open, displaying your texture. You'll see the outline of the faces you have currently selected, and by moving the corners you can move the faces around the texture, by moving the points halfway along each side you can rotate the faces. Keep selecting faces and aligning until you're done then collapse the modifier stack as usual.

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Thanks Chainsaw,
The only problem I’m having with this is
How do I hide the red on selected faces so I can see the texture move as I’m moving it with the UnwrapUVW?

Is it even possible to drag textures in real time like in the old unreal editor? I can't see the effects in the view port as I moving the white lines in the UnwrapUVW.
I guess I’m looking for a method where I can align textures by eye like in the 2.0 editor?

Attachments

• hide_sel.jpg
    hide_sel.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Radiosity

Minty Fresh!
Jan 3, 2003
UK
www.radiant-studios.net
Sure. Look at the screens I've attached - rightclick the viewport name as shown in the first pic and select Configure. In the menu that pops up, uncheck the ShadeSelectedFaces option. You'll see in the second pic that the face is now simply outlined in yellow instead of fully shaded.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 22

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
I am a newcomer to max so maybe I'm compeltely wrong,but I think you can do that by first selecting the faces on the mash,then selecting the uvw gizmo anbd using the pan/rotate/scale tools in the upper bar

Starstreams

Mar 12, 2001
USA
mgiese1.home.comcast.net
Hi Chainsaw,

Yep, actually someone explained how to do this in anther forum I posted this. either way thanks for posting the pictures. :tup:
by the way I just found out that F2 is another quick way to hide the shaded faces!

But what I’m still trying to find out how to do is: I’m looking for a method where I can align textures by dragging the texture in Max’s perspective window? Is there a Max Plug in for doing this?
I want to use my eye to align my textures while dragging them directly on the mesh, (Not from the UnwrapUVW window) Like in the 2.0 UT editor?

@, TaoPaiPai
his way works no doubt but I'm trying to get max to feel more like the UT2.0 editor.

Last edited: