PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Annihilation looking for mappers/animators/texture artists

FireSlash
28th Jul 2003, 07:09 PM
We are planning to hit phase two of the Make Something Unreal contest, to do this, we need a few more people to make sure the version submitted is well polished.

Mod info
Our website is http://www.UnrealAnnihilation.com, you can find most relivant information there. A write up containing the basic structure for Unreal Annihilation can be found here (http://ua.unrealism.com/?page=info).

Mappers
We need a mapper who is expierenced in creating large, nice looking terrain maps, while holding strategical value. Map themes include metal, grasslands, forests, and adverse terrain such as lava and acid planets. Having played Total Annihilation is a definate plus.

Animators
We need an animator capible of doing simple skeletal animations on low-polygon models. These models will probably be un-grouped. You must be able to export these animated models to Unreal Tournament 2003.

Texture Artists
We need a texture artist to design textures for things like metal patches, as well as map texture sets for terrains such as lava, metal, and acid planets.

Any submissions can reply here, or email me at fireslash@beyondunreal.com and please do not email me attachments.

JonAzz
2nd Aug 2003, 10:40 PM
I'd do it!
well i'd mapp at least
and i can make some decent textures if you wnt me too in photoshop

and yes as i've played total annihilation! :-D

FireSlash
3rd Aug 2003, 07:44 AM
Alright.

As standard procedure, we want a test map as a sample of your work prior to us making any final decisions.

Please create a large terrain only mape. This map should contain no structures that require jumping, and the number of structures, if any, should be low, since they will probably not be used much. Bridges are not required considering gameplay options, but if you include any, they should be well sized.

The map itself should contain strategic elements that will aid players in defending their base. Ideal things include high-ground, barriers to hide behind (Most likely part of the terrain), etc.

Decorations are fine (trees, rocks, etc)

When done, zip this map and contact me via one of the following methods:
MSN: fireslash18@hotmail.com
AIM: fireslash18
IRC: irc.gamesnet.net #UnrealAnnihilation
Y!: fire_storm5151

FaT CaM
3rd Aug 2003, 07:51 AM
I'll do one too.
I still have TA as well, could b useful

FireSlash
3rd Aug 2003, 08:02 AM
The more submissions I get, the better :)

Well, unless you want the job, anyway :p

Moshman
6th Aug 2003, 02:26 AM
I'm interested. Let me give you the overview of my Unreal\TA development experiance.

Unreal:
I am a mapper of course. I know how to create intresting looking terrain, I try to stay away from making textures since it takes longer to create a map but I'm capable. My mapping dates back to the good 'ol days of Duke Nukem 3d. I plan my levels first, I try to create a visualy satifing and fun map.

TA:
I played TA ever since the demo came out. I have made a couple maps for it in the past. Then I started to get into custom unit development for TABZA.

That is my experiance.....
Please excuse the spelling it's 1:30 in the morning. :D

FireSlash
6th Aug 2003, 12:26 PM
See above. Feel free to make a submission :)

Moshman
6th Aug 2003, 01:00 PM
2 questions.
Size of map, is the peewee about the same size as a regular player in UT2k3 or different. Don't want to make it to big or small.

I can make static meshes, you said no structures, but is it ok if it was like a simple house or building (no interior) I want to place a few houses in places, kida like command and conquer if you know what I mean...

FireSlash
6th Aug 2003, 09:37 PM
Out current resident mapper suggested that a large map would be...
H=16384 (or 8192)
W=65536
B=65536

As for scaling, the peewee is about 9/10 the size of a player.

Small structures are fine as long as they fit the theme of the map and mod (Ideally futuristic/maimed/rusted steel look), and can't be entered. Using them for cover as a strategical advantage is fine however.

Moshman
6th Aug 2003, 11:12 PM
Last 3 questions, ;)

Do I need to place bot navigation points in the map.

and is there a specific prefix on the file name of the level I need to put in or can I just send it as UAtestMAPmoshman.ut2 ?

Please forgive me for all the questions but I want to make this right. :)

Metel Deposits???

FireSlash
7th Aug 2003, 07:47 AM
Don't worry about navpoints yet, were still working on bot navigation and really are not sure if we will use them or not.

the metal despoit, geothermal vent, and mapinfo classes haven't been isolated to their own package yet, to just put in a placeholder for now.

Prefix is UA-Mapname, but I'm not incapible of hitting the 'rename' button ;)

Mychaeel
7th Aug 2003, 08:29 AM
Let's move development-related discussion to the Unreal Annihilation forums (http://ua.unrealism.com/forums/), please. Thanks. :)

FireSlash
10th Aug 2003, 11:22 PM
Ok ok.
UA Mapping forum (http://ua.unrealism.com/forums/board.php?boardid=50&sid=)

And I think you were looking for this ;) UA mapping toolkit (http://ua.unrealism.com/?page=files&file=1)

Sorry on the delay.

And yes Mychaeel, I'm done. :p (Were still taking applications for the above positions)

FaT CaM
11th Aug 2003, 02:31 AM
Im working on a remake of 'Coast to Coast' from the original TA