Its a shame you can't escape with me...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Hi again
I was playing Jailbreak recenty, not on the server, but with bots only becuase its officially a good thing to play Jailbreak. Anyway, I had a long play, and to my annoyance bots wont assist in anyway to help you or another bot escape.

It has led me to think about whether it is possible to code bots to escape jail. I am only an amatuer mapper, so if this wont work, then ok nevermind, but this is what i think could be done to make you or bots escape:

In maps like JB-Cavern where you only have to impact jump thru the hole, surely a Scripted Sequence could be placed with the orders:
-stand under the hole
-impact jump to maximum height
-move forward at top of jump
-move out of jail
-play on.
A similar map would be JB-Dreary, where there is simply an extra line of "press the button" before "impact jump".

In maps like JB-SkullDrudgery where people in both sections of the jail have to shoot the switch and then go thru the door, it could be a sequence like this:
-shoot the switch in jail one
-shoot the switch in jail two
-move thru the door
-if you dont die, move out of the room which you fall into
-play on.

In maps like JB-Coret where you need outside help and positioning inside the jail, there could be a scripted sequence by the escpae switch like:
-if bot is near switch, press it.
That would be simple. In the jail, it would need summin like:
-stand on pad
-when escape switch is pressed, move forward
-play on.
Similar maps would be JB-Nifam, where players go to the grate which would be opened by someone outside, swim thru the tunnel, and then wait and hope for the second grate to open, and play on.

In maps like JB-SprinTitan where you simply need to follow a path to escape jail (though obviously the Titans make it a little harder), this could be even simpler to code:
-get onto the ledge
-jump out of window onto an upright
-jump to the other side (while avoiding Titan)
-play on.

In maps like JB-Deck16 where you need a human tower and someone to stand on the pad, it could be summin like this to code:
-first player crouch near button
-second player jump on first player
-when third player is on X, shoot target
-third player plays on (obviously depends whether they spawn free or in the tank of aliens).

I'm almost certain though that coding those wouldn't be as easy as I'm making them out to be, and obviously there would be no exact setup with each map, so it would be up to the author to code such a sequence if they want and if they can.

Yes, I have noticed potential flaws with bots escaping. With the first example of JB-Cavern, it would be easy for bots to spawn in jail and almost immediately hop up and escape. Maybe there could be an "accuracy" value which would randomly generate a decision as to whether the bot will make it out of the jail.
In maps where you require support from others, this may distract them from the actual purpose of the game, so here a "priority" value could be associated with the switch, for instance in JB-Coret.
Where it could be good though is when the player depends on something physical within the map for their escape success. JB-SkullDrudgery has the rotating thing where if you miss it you die and the whole sequence has to be started again, and the switches are delayed from being able to be used again. Similarly in JB-SprinTitan, you depend on your ability to jump and the attacking ability of the Titans rather than a mechanism that will definitely take you out of jail.

So if it is possible to code bots to release themselves, others, or you, then there would need to be an element of risk (which could result in death and having to start all over again), or an element of outside support that didnt distract that player from the focus of the game, or an element where you will need the cooperation of bots to escape. If it were as simple as impact jumping out, then it would be very difficult to capture the enemy team. Maybe in escape routes like this there could be an auto turret or physical trap that would need negotiating.

I'm only commenting on this because currently it just doesnt feel right that bots dont even attempt to escape jail. If you had the opportunity, you would almost certainly take it. Of course, the alternative is not to have escape routes, which could mean jail for a while. Not every map must have an escape route of course, but maybe if there is a route it should be able to be used by everyone, including bots.

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
Coor blimy..thats some Thread!
anyway, escapes should be a team effort and bots should maybe just stand in the right places :) But making them escape could be annoying..they are useless anyway even if they got out!
It would be nice to see a bot hold open the escape hatch while the humans escape :)

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Is it really that simple to escape from JB-Cavern? I created that with the idea that it would be just slightly impossible to do it solo, so you'd need to stand on someone's head and have them impact jump. Maybe I'm just not good enough at impact jumping :(.

Having played around with the bots a bit, I'd say things like SprinTitan's escape would be impossible to do correctly. Bots have (hard-coded I believe) "fears" of making jumps that are potentially risky. They tend to avoid these so that in the normal course of the game they don't keep falling off and ruining the game (and it's a good thing most of the time). It'd be worth a shot, but I'd be amazed if it worked.

I'm also pretty sure they'd be just about useless making a ladder. You might be able to get them to crouch under a hole like in Cavern, wait for someone to jump on (you'd perhaps need a trigger over the place where the bot would crouch to make that work). Then the bot could just do a hammer jump straight up, the human could jump off from there. More complicated ladder stuff would probably be hard to work.

I don't know for certain, but it might also be possible to do some more difficult coding to get bots to do things that aren't set up already (like getting them to jump at certain times from some sort of special actor to another). Getting bots to do escape routes consistenly, or possibly slightly inconsistently (as you pointed out), could become such a production that it wouldn't be worth the effort in the long run though, at least not without escapes that are trivial for humans to perform.

TheSpoonDog

CBP3! Yarrr!
Jun 1, 2001
NZ
spoondog.beyondunreal.com
Hmm I don't think it's a good idea to have bots themselves be able to escape jail because they will do it all the time, or at least be able to do it all the time. An escape is all about skill and timing, and bots don't really vary in this area (though, as you said, they could be given accuracy values). Or perhaps they could be given "clumsy" behaviour like a drunken Llama effect, so it would be unlikely that they could string together things like: a) get in the right position b) impact jump c) crouch etc...

I do, however, think it would be a good idea to have a "crouchspot" or something that could tell bots to crouch in a spot so a human may climb on their back and assist the human in escaping. This is totally possible in JB2003 anyway with scripted sequences, so that could be an idea for that.

Besides, if bots are escaping themselves it takes all the fun away from escaping yourself and going to release them :)

Last edited:

Trueblood

Silly Brit
Jan 19, 2003
Brighton, UK
www.yourass.com
I thought you cant ladder in UT2003 because you cant stand on a players head. If you try, you just bounce about....unless someone shoots the sheild gun upwards and someone stands on the sheild :lol: hehe I`ve always wanted to try that :D
I cant remember the name of the map..errr plarinx i think...its that jail that has like a see-saw, you jump on the pipe and someone runs to the jail from outside. Anyway i`ve seen a bot stand on the bottom which helped me up but they never stay long.
OO i just had an idea! :rolleyes: what if...in a jail you covered the escape hole and make it breakable, someone breaks it with hammer/sheild gun, that would TRIGGER the bot to stand or help the escape. :D ahhh must stop myself!

Birelli

meh...
Oct 14, 2001
Syracuse, NY
Trueblood said:
I thought you cant ladder in UT2003 because you cant stand on a players head.

That was how it worked in UT, so we had to make that effect especially for JB. In UT2003 it's built-in to the entire game (at least I think it is).

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
Birelli said:
That was how it worked in UT, so we had to make that effect especially for JB. In UT2003 it's built-in to the entire game (at least I think it is).

It's not that way yet, near as I can tell, i bouced off playeres heads the last time i went in jail. But it's probably going to be the above way.

ZedMaestro

Useless
May 18, 2003
Dorset, England
Visit site
Oh yeah, I forgot that in UT2003 you bounce of bots & players (pawns). From my next-to-no understanding of UT2003 code, to me it could be something like a kicker that sticks on every pawn's head and obviously only kicks if someone lands on em. How bout that eh, kicking with your head :lol: .

The human ladder ability in Jailbreak is, to me, almost essential. Of course it is a very popular feature of escape routes (Deck16, Cavern, Dreary, Gauntlet, Mafia, and even SprinTitan requires this if you cant use your impact hammer properly or want to save you health), all of these involve the human ladder. Also, the human ladder is just funny to look at. :lol: If you're watching an execution, it is usually funny to see this human ladder being executed, i find, because its different to seeing a group of people standing around waiting to start the next round. It also gives jailed pawns summin to do instead of being bored and waiting.........

If the kicker thing i suggested causes the bounce is true, then it could probably be possible in a mutator within jailbreak to disable this. I dont know, I'm not a coder, but its just a suggestion. Also, I just remembered that a crouch point wouldnt need to be made in JB2003, because pawns can double jump onto another pawn's head.

If it is possible to do and doesnt take too much time, it would be nice to have in JB2003. Of course, this isnt something that should go top of the priority pile, but if theres time, maybe it could be done.

Mychaeel

ZedMaestro said:
From my next-to-no understanding of UT2003 code, to me it could be something like a kicker that sticks on every pawn's head and obviously only kicks if someone lands on em.

Well... basically. Just that the "kicker" is the player itself. Short of replacing the player's pawn by our own there's no way to simply "disable" this; and even then there's no guarantee that it'll work smoothly in network games (or even in offline games).

Granted, this principle and the problems attached to it are the very same in UT2003 as they were in Unreal Tournament, so I should be able to pretty directly transfer my experience with coding this feature for Jailbreak III to Jailbreak 2003; but quite frankly it really was a pain in the butt and an ugly hack at best (from a coder's point of view) that barely managed to work without too many unwanted side effects (if you didn't watch too closely).

If it is possible to do and doesnt take too much time, it would be nice to have in JB2003.

Perhaps, but it's really far down on my personal priority list.

Doesn't mean that nobody else can look into it; it might even turn out a bit less ugly and ridden of side effects if you take into account that, as you suggested, thanks to the double-jump there's no need to let players stand up from a crouching stance with a player on their head in UT2003 anymore.